Clutch Needed - For Diesel Truck Apparently...

Maxx Mazda

Resident Asshole
Contributor
:
Completely Stock P5
With 400HP+ 1st gear is utterly useless. I launch in second unless I'm going to get groceries, and my SPEC 3+ isn't up to the task anymore, espesially when at the track. In 2nd gear, it'll slip all day long espesially if I use the Anti-Lag on the Haltech. (Also have SPEC flywheel.) It says it's rated for 420 Lb ft, but my car ain't making that at the 18psi I turned down just to see if I could get it to hook up for Christ's sake.

I need something that's gonna HOLD pretty much anything I can throw at it. I'm down to ACT, Bully, and ClutchMasters. Now, this is a street driven car in the summer, and I like to have an intact spine, so I need a sprung center hub! I'm looking for either a 6 or 4 puck, the ACT "Xtreme Duty" 6 puck sprung kit looks nice, but I need to be assured it will hold. It's rated for 432 Lb ft, but if the SPEC was any indication then the ACT would give me the same result. If anyone can point me in the right direction that'd be appreciated.

I'll be in the same situation as you but from what I've read/heard go for it. ACT should be up to the task. I mean you don't have much choice at this point do you , lol.

Make sure to give feedback so ppl can make a note of that like you doing with SPEC 3+

No. Only gone through one LSD so far with gtx gears. Fingers crossed

FX 400. I dont know Im gonna call them next week and see if its up to the task. I'll most likely go with a 6 pucker.

So here's the skinny after speaking with all manufacturers:

The ACT kit is rated for about 460lb-ft, the Clutchmasters is good for 470lb-ft, and the bully is rated for almost 490lb-ft. For all intents and purposes, all three are about the same. After some intense research, each clutch has it's pros and cons.

ACT: From what I've read they have very smooth engagement, and despite their holding power, seem to be the most "streetable" of the three. Retail is $624.

CM: The FX400 holds well and lasts long, also it's the cheapest at $540. The FX400 changes the engagement point of the clutch so it's much lower in the pedal stroke, something I'm not opposed to. Some have reported chatter with other vehicles, but this may be limited to certain models.

Bully: The Bully is the most expensive at $628, and is used by a lot of top drifters. Engagement has been reported as the harshest, but the puck life is excellent.

So, there are the facts. Really, it's just a clutch, but I'm tired of burning them out one after another on hard launches. Still haven't decided which one I'll go with, im going to muddle over it another night first.

Great find/feedback .. I'll be buying one of the first two sometime this summer apparently.

edit: a quick search found ACT-Z66XTG6 & FX400-07-094-HDCB6 are ~$420 shipped so there's not much price choice factor for them.

Last edited:
I have heard some bad things about Spec not holding up anyways. At least in the 8 community barring names or information they didn't do the job 9 times out 10. They were poorly built, and didn't hold up like promised. Just to give you a heads up. If the Spec didn't cut it, then don't discount the ACT. Spec didn't hold up or do as promised for the couple of guys that bought them in the 8 community.

Thanks for the info on SPEC. I wasn't impressed with the last two SPEC clutches I had.

The prices I quoted were retail directly from the manufacturer. Dealers sell for less.

Back