Click / Clunk / Knock sounds 2018 CX-5 AWD

Known issue here in Australia with some of the cars. Dealer showed me a service bulletin. My car had the issue from day zero and got progressively worse. The front springs need some sort of protective casing and some additional rubber where it connects to the chassis. Sorry don’t know much about suspension but basically the springs rub against the metal in the chassis. Bloody frustrating and horrible sound that ruined my new experience. Since the fix car suspension has been great

Thanks for advising!

Got this noise on my cx-5 2017 GT since new, now with 7,000 miles, still there. Most noticeable on left side when turn left on incline (this is how I turned into my driveway daily), but I hear it on bumps too. Thanks for the bulletin information, I need to find time to take it in. It seems to indicate the issue on wet condition, but mine is regardless of conditions.

Got this noise on my cx-5 2017 GT since new, now with 7,000 miles, still there. Most noticeable on left side when turn left on incline (this is how I turned into my driveway daily), but I hear it on bumps too. Thanks for the bulletin information, I need to find time to take it in. It seems to indicate the issue on wet condition, but mine is regardless of conditions.
Just quote them the bulletin and insist they rectify as per the bulletin

On my 2014 mazda 3 I had the suspension noise when going over some bumps or making sharp slow turns. There was a TSB and they added a sleeve or something to the springs I believe and that got rid of the noise but it did come back after a few months. I got a similar noise on my cx-5 once in a while but nothing I can't live with.

Hi all, are there updates on this issue?

My 18 CX5 recently developed a similar clunk under wet or dry conditions.

Clunk is heard on left side when turning right and most prominently on a decline and under braking conditions.

The car just hit 10K kilometers.

Reason I'm looking for answers is because I don't know what the warranty process is like in Colombia where I am now.

In the United States I'd bring cars in and they would replace basically whatever the heck I wanted until noises were gone. I want to pin point something in the event they refuse to be helpful.

Last edited:
Try the same there.
That's the first approach! Sucks having no pull and no service history - I come from a service dept where I had an 8 vehicle 16 year history with the shop foreman and service writer.

Is it safe to assume my issue is likely related to the TSBs posted above ?

That's the first approach! Sucks having no pull and no service history - I come from a service dept where I had an 8 vehicle 16 year history with the shop foreman and service writer.

Is it safe to assume my issue is likely related to the TSBs posted above ?

If the issue is the same then TSB should apply

I thought I had this issue on my 2018 CX5 GT, but it turns out that my Mazda Dealership had placed the bag of wheel locking nuts under my user manual in my glove box. The clunking I was hearing was the wheel locking nuts clunking against the glove box on bumpy roads. Since placing them in a padded bag in the cargo area in the back....no clunking noises. (cool)

Same with my 2017 CX% AWD GT

Hello All. I am new to this forum. I have been going through the forum and seeing lot of people getting their queries/ doubts answered. I was wondering if I could get some help/ opinions on a problem with my brand new CX 5. I bought a 2018 CX 5 GT with AWD just a month back. When I test drove, I drove it on the highway and it was perfect. Absolutely no issues and I sealed the deal on the car. The next day, when I took my car to the office, I noticed an issue. I park on the 5th floor in a parking structure. So I need to take multiple sharp turns while going up or down. I started hearing some click/ clunk sounds on those sharp turns. Over the course of the next week, I kept on hearing these noises in my parking structure as well on bumps and sharp turns. I took my car to the dealership and after inspection they said everything was normal. They said, since it was new the suspension just needs time to settle in. But, I was still hearing these faint but noticeable sounds. So I took it again to the dealership and this time they said they will replace the sway bar bushings and see if that makes the difference. They handed the car back saying that they could no longer hear the noises after the change but unfortunately I keep hearing the noises again and again. On the highways and regular roads I don't hear it at all. But on inclines/ declines and sharp turns is when I hear it. I have attached a video of me going down my parking structure. The sounds are very clear at 40 s, 2:40, 2:50 , 3:50 min.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/szJMOdDKZYo0oMBC2

Please let me know what is causing this noise and what the possible remedy could be. Thank you very much.

I've too have discussed this issue on this forum about my 2017 CX5 AWD GT. The clunk/knock was noticed after 6000km and seems to originate from the front driver side strut area. Occurs most often when turning into drive ways and over the curb entrances and much less frequent when in straight motion over small road imperfections/cracks. Have had front left strut bearing, both front L/R struts and stabilizer mounts replaced with only some improvement. Have addressed recent clunk TSB (coil protectors) with a 2nd Mazda dealer, however service advisor indicates no available stock in Canada? Mazda is grasping and first dealer with Mazda Canada choose to blamed me for the clunk due to a single oil rust proof application. It has since washed off in its entirety from its application a year ago. 2nd dealership have been in my court but its an unjustified battle with Mazda Canada. Would like to know if anyone has had the clunk fixed with the coil protectors, know one seems to respond when I ask on this forum? Good Luck!

Hi All. It has been a long time since I posted on the forum again. I wanted to give a quick update on my car. After multiple visits to various dealerships, we were finally able to find and solve the problem behind the knocking/clunk noise. A technician from Mazda corporate came in and had a thorough look. It was found that a bushing was missing from the front right side suspension setup. They just had to put a new bushing and the knocking sound has completely gone away. According to my dealer, a specific batch of cars left the Mazda factory without these bushings. Hope this helps. Thanks once again to all.

Hi All. It has been a long time since I posted on the forum again. I wanted to give a quick update on my car. After multiple visits to various dealerships, we were finally able to find and solve the problem behind the knocking/clunk noise. A technician from Mazda corporate came in and had a thorough look. It was found that a bushing was missing from the front right side suspension setup. They just had to put a new bushing and the knocking sound has completely gone away. According to my dealer, a specific batch of cars left the Mazda factory without these bushings. Hope this helps. Thanks once again to all.
Whoa a missing bushing during assembly, how is that possible?

Looks like this's a different issue from TSB 02-002/18 posted earlier.

Thanks for your update!

Whoa a missing bushing during assembly, how is that possible?

Looks like this's a different issue from TSB 02-002/18 posted earlier.

Thanks for your update!
Sarcasm? That's hard to detect sometimes.

True or not, I dunno, but my Dad tells me a story of a friend who bought a BMW missing main bearings in the engine. Now I dunno how in the world that's possible, but who knows.

Do you have anymore information on the specific bushing/where it was located that was missing? Mine is still clunking, even after having the lower control arms replaced again, and the left ball joint. Dealer says they have checked everything multiple times and can't find anything wrong.

After the vibration issues I had when I first got the car and now this still not being resolved I'm about to just get rid of it because I'm tired constantly bringing it to the dealer to get things fixed.

Do you have anymore information on the specific bushing/where it was located that was missing? Mine is still clunking, even after having the lower control arms replaced again, and the left ball joint. Dealer says they have checked everything multiple times and can't find anything wrong.

After the vibration issues I had when I first got the car and now this still not being resolved I'm about to just get rid of it because I'm tired constantly bringing it to the dealer to get things fixed.
You have a 2014 CX-5 GT (from your avatar) and still are fighting the suspension clunking issue? What was the vibration issue about?

OP's Mazda dealer has mentioned there's a batch of gen-2 CX-5's left the factory without these bushings. I believe a TSB for this matter should be coming out shortly from Mazda.

You have a 2014 CX-5 GT (from your avatar) and still are fighting the suspension clunking issue? What was the vibration issue about?

OP's Mazda dealer has mentioned there's a batch of gen-2 CX-5's left the factory without these bushings. I believe a TSB for this matter should be coming out shortly from Mazda.

I have a 2017, my signature was updated, never updated the avatar.

I have same and/or similar problem. I have a clunking sound, thought it was at turns, or over speed bumps.. but realized that it might be backlash in the drive train. When I go very slow, then slightly accelerate, then decelerate with minor gas pedal movements, I get this clunking. It seems as though their is slop in the drive train. This sound seemed like it was at turning or bumps, but can be demonstrated when going straight. It reminded me of a bad drive U-Joint "CLUNK" you would get on an old car with a bad u-Joint. (when putting in Reverse/forward/reverse while holding BREAK down). Can you duplicate it by going very very slow, and feathering the gas? if so, it is a joint in the drive-- I think. I need to take my car back to dealership as well. Beautiful SUV, but this sound is not right. Just a hunch.

Back