Chopped shifter/DIY Short throw shifter

JamesCH

:
2009 Mazdaspeed3; 1991 Turbo Miata
The long and short of it is that I wanted a lower shifter, but not by as much as the AEM shifters I could find. I wanted about a 3/4" drop and all the ones I could find were 1.5" or greater. So I bought an OEM shift lever, cut a section of it out and welded it back together. I shortened the height by 3/4" and moved it about 1/8" to the right and 1/4" back, just about perfect.

Steps are as follows:

Cut your OEM shift lever as close to the top as you feel comfortable, and then remove the length of shifter you want the height reduced by.

Grind away about 1/2" of the coating on the bar because you don't want to be inhaling potentially toxic fumes while you're welding. Also grind in a chamfer on the corner to help the weld penetrate further.

Position the two pieces where you would like them and tack-weld them in place. I used a TIG welder and I fuse-tacked (didn't use filler) the two pieces together because I was holding the shorter end in my free hand. I tacked in 4 places to make sure there was no warping.

Naturally, finish up with a seam weld. Go in small increments and let the piece cool down in between to prevent melting any of the plastic components. I seamed the whole thing in 4 steps: I connected two tacks, let it cool, connected the opposite two, let it cool... etc. I used some stainless steel filler rod because that's what I had lying around at work, and it makes nice colors on the weld when used properly (spin)

It's not a very hard project to undertake, I spent about 30 minutes cutting, grinding, and welding. Anyone with a moderate amount of shop and welding experience and little bit of moxie shouldn't have a problem!

Consequently I have an extra OEM shifter lying around that I would be willing to sell as-is or customized. I'd also be willing to customize shifters if anyone wanted to send me one to work on.

Attachments

• DSCF1711.JPG
    DSCF1711.JPG
    618.4 KB · Views: 401
  • DSCF1714_Shifter TackWelded.jpg
    DSCF1714_Shifter TackWelded.jpg
    758.1 KB · Views: 537
  • DSCF1719_Shifter Seam Welded.JPG
    DSCF1719_Shifter Seam Welded.JPG
    424.6 KB · Views: 364
Well I don't have a video of welding the shifter, but I do have a video of myself welding some steel uprights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhY3vAg-jJc

And here's a video of the car that the uprights were for in an auto-x. It was the last car I helped build at CooperMotorsports, my college's FSAE team. The driver is my teammate who raced auto-x and endurace with me at the MIS for FSAE Michigan. He usualy was a second or two faster than me, but hit more cones so I usually had a better score (nana)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdLzDPt18xY

Last edited:
First off, nice job on the shifter and trying something new. (thumb) It does give you a "shorter" shifter but I don't see your throws being any shorter since you've only changed the height and not the fulcrum (the point or support on which a lever pivots.) Which is what a true "short throw shifter" does to attain the shorter throw...

Thanks!

It doesn't change the angle that the shifter travels through, I made a short-shift plate that does that. Chopping the height does change the distance that the shifter knob travels, though very slightly. I didn't want to change the throw by too much to begin with.

I did it more for the reason that the shifter height in 6th gear is now the same as the arm rest, so it's more comfortable to leave my arm on the arm rest while driving.

Last edited:
Back