• Welcome to Mazdas247, the 24/7 Mazda Community and Resource. Learn about the benefits of becoming a Member here.
  • We're an Amazon Associate and eBay Partner. We earn from qualifying purchases.

Changing from synthetic oil to regular oil

:
2010 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring
I've been using synthetic oil for about 7 years on my 2010 CX-9, I had the oil changed with normal oil about 4 weeks ago and now my oil light flashes when the vehicle has been driven about 3 miles or more. I checked my oil level and it is fine. Is this because of the oil change or is it a bad oil pressure switch?

:
Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 2016
There is no harm by changing the type of oil. Find out why the light flashes.

Does that 2010 have a simple oil pressure sensor that activates the light? If so it might be a bad sensor or it might be trouble inside the filter they put on or a problem in the engine's oil system. The type of oil had nothing to do with this. A shop can install a temporary real pressure gauge to confirm the actual oil pressure.

:
2010 CX-9 GT
I've been using synthetic oil for about 7 years on my 2010 CX-9, I had the oil changed with normal oil about 4 weeks ago and now my oil light flashes when the vehicle has been driven about 3 miles or more. I checked my oil level and it is fine. Is this because of the oil change or is it a bad oil pressure switch?
You need to get a mechanical oil pressure gauge and get a real reading on the pressure. Hopefully it is just a bad sending unit, that would be the best case.

I would do this sooner rather than later. The "idiot light" usually comes on when the pressure is really low.

:
2009 Mazda CX-9 GT
The engine doesn't know that you aren't running synthetic, so you most likely have a bad sensor or switch. A bad sensor or switch will cause the light to flicker or stay on.