2007~2015 Changing CX-9 transfer case gear oil (photos)

The smell is pretty bad, it’s not like burnt oil it smells worse. Also, once you smell the smell. It takes less then a week for the PTU to burn out if you drive daily. Happened to me at 80k. The problem is it sits just above the exhaust pipe so it gets hot and is very bad when you sit and idle with vehicle on.

So got to changing the PTU oil finally.

First I want to mention that I read this post well and got the recommended 3/8” socket wrench and an electric oil pump (great instructions in this post!), and they made things relatively easy.

So I was able to suck out ~300 of fluid. Was able to put back in ~ 500ml, so I believe I got most of it.

The fluid was not bad smelling, and flowed pretty well. I did not encounter thick/pasty sludge. So could be this has been changed before, or the type of driving the vehicle underwent was mild for these 138xxx miles? I’m leaning towards having been changed sometime in the past.

Regardless, it seems like it was a bit low since only 300ml or so came out. And I at least feel better about the vehicle since it wasn’t too bad, and it now has a full case of fresh synthetic gear oil.

So, I just stumbled upon this thread when Googling the difference between Gl-4 and GL-5 gear oil.

Thought I'd mention that my CX-90 Owners Manual calls for Mazda ATF-A7 trans fluid to be used in the transfer case. It's an ULV fluid and really thin stuff.

I'll be changing it @ 25K miles to see how it looks at that time. Nice to know the CX-9 has the same xfer case as the Ford Flex & Edge. When I crawl under my CX-90 I'll be able to see if it also has this xfer case thanks to the pics posted in this thread.

Last edited:
I am really thankful I stumbled upon this thread !!

And when the weather warms up here in about late March I'm planning to change the xfer case fluid. I should have about 16K miles on the car by then.

IF the fill plug isn't all gunked-up I may use the recommended ATF-A7 trans fluid. Maybe the change of fluid to ATF-A7 might cure the problem ? Either way, I'l be changing the fluid about every other oil change since I'm planning on keeping this CX-90 for maybe 10 years. At my age, it might be the last new car I ever buy.

Also, instead of using a low profile rachet, I may first try a 3/8 inch breaker bar that I have. It's even more low profile than a low profile ratchet.

I'll definitely be buying the pump that Avidien recommends.

WestMichJim what year is your vehicle? The transfer case in the new generation is very different I'm sure from the old Ford based units that take 140/70 gear oil not ATF.

The CX-90 is the new 2024 model. I'll verify that in the spring that it's not a Ford xfer case. But the Owners Manual says it also takes .52 qts. same as the Ford xfer case. Do the newer CX-9's use a transfer case other than the Ford make? I read that the xfer case problem was "fixed" in the 2022/2023 models. Did Mazda change the xfer case to another make ?

Either way, I'm still going to check the fill plug to see if there is any sludge @ 18K miles. And if it doesn't have a Ford xfer case, maybe it may even have a drain plug. I'm big on PM because i plan on keeping my cars for a long time. Hoping the Lithium battery lasts - it's a "mild" hybrid with the small lithium battery, not the PHEV.

I am almost sure the last use of the Ford transfer case was 2015 when Mazda went off on their own.If your transfer case is calling for transmission fluid then it's pretty much a lock that you have zero Ford components.

With that said I hope they gave you separate drain and fill plugs, unlike the debacle that us older model users have to deal with. I have changed mine 3 times with Royal Purple synthetic so hopefully it won't grenade. I have a 2012 with 90K miles.

Ya, PM works !! Nice going.

I'm really curious to see what I have during my next oil change. I'll have to remove the big plastic covers to exactly see what I have, but that doesn't take long to do.

This thread is for the generation 1 CX-9 with Ford engine and driveline components. The gen 2 CX-9, 2016 to 2023, has different components, not Ford. Evidently the new CX-90 has even different components. I would not follow any gen.1 recommendations in the CX-90.

With any gearbox oil change, always loosen the fill plug first. If the fill plug can't be loosened, don't drain the oil out.

Back