Center console display dead --> brake light too?

So I bought a tape deck for my 3 month old 6i so I could have an input for my mp3 player. I thought about installing it myself, but I thought, ehh- let the dealer do it. Well, after waiting 2 hours, they gave me my car back with the center display broken (the radio still works, I just can't see what station/track I'm playing). They aren't really sure how it broke, but they're going to replace it (for free, obviously). I have a new appointment for next week (they didn't have that part in stock).

Well, last night a buddy of mine was driving behind me and noticed my spoiler brake light was out. Obviously, I can't be sure of how long its been out, but I don't believe in coinidences. So my question is - how could knocking out the center console display knock out the brake light?

Did they blow a fuse (I'm going ot check that this afternoon)? Screw-up my computer? Since I'm planning on actually wiring in a 1/8" input for my mp3 player, I'm going to dis-assemble the thing this afternoon and see if I can find any knocked-off wires or the like (heck, I can't break it if its already broken!).

and after 6 hours of solid work, he found out it was unplugged. I'd rather let the dealership fix it. Tell them it worked when you came in.

I had the same problem putting SIRIUS into my mz6. If you are not careful you can break the circuit board on the headunit. it is actually right behind the front faceplate. That'll knock out the center display and possibly your entire center console. Anywho, your brake light and audio are not on the same fuse, I'm sure its just a random coiincidence.

but hey, that's what warrenties are for!

Micah said:
and after 6 hours of solid work, he found out it was unplugged. I'd rather let the dealership fix it. Tell them it worked when you came in.
You may just be clarvoyant....

So I took the center console apart this afternoon (easy on paper, but those last couple of clips just didn't want to let go), poked around a little, and re-assmbled it. I noticed a little block of wires with a loose connector and pushed it back in - did I pull it loose? Dunno - but just for s**** and giggles, I turned the car on when I was done and the display now works! Not sure about the brake light - it was raining and I couldn't get my roommate out to look at it.

Watch out for that hidden bolt accessed from the glove box. Some 6's don't come with it anymore, but some have it bolted in. Pulling on the center console while the bolt is still in cracks the circuit board, completely destroying it. This of course is instantly identifiable (you screwed up and they know it) and isn't covered under warranty.

For info on removing the center console check out the how-to article @
http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=36&Itemid=35

uhhh did you press the dimming switch?? it shuts off the diplay... press it and itll go back on... if that doesnt work... sue ur dealer... haha

for 3rd breaklight on spoiler...pop trunk and look under the deck and see if there are loose plastic snap connecters there. Thats where the wires run for spoiler IIRC.

Da 6 said:
for 3rd breaklight on spoiler...pop trunk and look under the deck and see if there are loose plastic snap connecters there. Thats where the wires run for spoiler IIRC.
Its an obvious place to look and I kicked myself when the dealer told me that was the problem. Under warranty, so no harm- no foul. Thanks, though.

Back