2017~2024 CEL in high altitude

:
2018 Mazda CX5 Machine Gray
CEL keeps coming on during descent from higher altitudes. Last time this happened the vehicle started shaking like at speeds above 60mph. Light goes away once I get down to sea level and I haven't had a chance to get into a dealership (I have an appointment this week) anybody else dealing with this?

Might be good to know what the CEL code is. If you don't have a code reader handy, pop into an AdvanceAuto or similar and get them to read it.

For what it is worth, I had a similar experience on a 2006 Mazda5, on long downhill trips in cold weather.

To sum it up, (in my personal example) Based upon the engine RPM, and vehicle speed sensors, the computer was expecting engine temps to be within a certain range, however due to the engine not burning any fuel during the long downhill grades, and the cold ambient temperatures, the engine became too cold and did not match the expected operating temperatures, which then set off the CEL.

CEL keeps coming on during descent from higher altitudes. Last time this happened the vehicle started shaking like at speeds above 60mph. Light goes away once I get down to sea level and I haven't had a chance to get into a dealership (I have an appointment this week) anybody else dealing with this?

Turbo or non-turbo model?

No I have never had a CEL issue with my gen 1 2.5L NA due to altitude. I lived at 9k ft. elevation when I bought it, and have driven it to the top of 14k peaks (Pikes Peak, Mt. Evans), and over 12k mountain passes (Trail Ridge Road, RMNP), and 11k highways (I-70) and plenty of other various elevations between.

Reset battery fuel trims messed up. But light need to address cleanliness of fuel system/air system as well

Back