CAUTION! Windshield Replacement

:
2019 Mazda CX-5 GTR
Took a rock to my windshield for the second time yesterday. The first time Safelite was able to do a repair, but this one resulted in an 8" crack from the left edge to my line of sight, so a replacement is necessary.

Dropped it off this morning. They told me it had to go to their shop, because the driver's aid cameras and HUD would need to be calibrated after the replacement and they cannot do that with mobile service. A couple of hours later, I get the call........ They could not calibrate the system, probably because they were using an after-market glass. They offered to bring in a genuine Mazda windshield from their warehouse, but the car won't be ready until late afternoon.

I told them I absolutely want the car operating properly before taking it back, so that's what they are doing. Heads up for anyone with a GTR or Sig that needs a windshield replacement - INSIST ON A GENUINE MAZDA REPLACEMENT.

Took a rock to my windshield for the second time yesterday. The first time Safelite was able to do a repair, but this one resulted in an 8" crack from the left edge to my line of sight, so a replacement is necessary.

Dropped it off this morning. They told me it had to go to their shop, because the driver's aid cameras and HUD would need to be calibrated after the replacement and they cannot do that with mobile service. A couple of hours later, I get the call........ They could not calibrate the system, probably because they were using an after-market glass. They offered to bring in a genuine Mazda windshield from their warehouse, but the car won't be ready until late afternoon.

I told them I absolutely want the car operating properly before taking it back, so that's what they are doing. Heads up for anyone with a GTR or Sig that needs a windshield replacement - INSIST ON A GENUINE MAZDA REPLACEMENT.

Yes, I believe this was the same advice when I had a Z06 w/HUD.
My GTR has taken numerous rocks. Does very well, unlike the 1st gen CX5, which broke if a bird crapped on it above 60mph, it seemed. What rock took yours out? Was it substantial?

It sure sounded substantial, but it was dark out, so I didn't see it coming.

My GTR has taken numerous rocks. Does very well, unlike the 1st gen CX5, which broke if a bird crapped on it above 60mph, it seemed. What rock took yours out? Was it substantial?

I guess I am lucky. Factory windshield did chip easy, but the thing didn't crack for 4 years. The new windshield which is aftermarket, is even better and I have 1 chip after 2 years.

And.....never drive behind a vehicle that has giant knobby off-road-type tires. Large stones tend to get stuck in between the treads until you pull in behind the vehicle. That's when they let loose and crack your windshield. I had my new 3 for only two weeks before this happened. Can you prove the vehicle's owner is at fault? ...not a chance!

And.....never drive behind a vehicle that has giant knobby off-road-type tires. Large stones tend to get stuck in between the treads until you pull in behind the vehicle. That's when they let loose and crack your windshield. I had my new 3 for only two weeks before this happened. Can you prove the vehicle's owner is at fault? ...not a chance!

Ouch. This happened to a family member in Calgary. They bought a brand new 2017 Santa Fe XL. Just a few days later, a truck kicked up a rock that cracked the entire length of the windshield. :(

UPDATE:

I went in Friday afternoon to pick up the vehicle. They said they continued to try and calibrate the cameras with no luck. They had the OEM Mazda windshield delivered, but could not install it without making a huge mess, because the glue on the replacement window would not be totally cured. So, they made me an appointment for Tuesday (tomorrow) and said they would switch out the windshield then.

I jumped in the car and sure enough, the calibration required warning message popped right up. I drove out of their lot and decided to call my dealer. I told them the story and they immediately asked if they were trying to calibrate the cameras indoors, which they were. The service adviser said it cannot be done that way and needs to be out in bright light, preferably even on a sunny day. They said they would be happy to do it for me at no charge, but on Monday (today) when it's going to be sunny.

Well, no sooner did I hang up with them when all the warning lights disappeared and everything started working perfectly normal. I drove the car all weekend, making certain that everything was working properly. I'm assuming that getting it out in daylight for a few miles, got the calibration sensors cleared out and all is now good. This morning I'll swing by Safelite, review the issue with them and cancel tomorrow's appointment.

Hopefully, Safelite will make note of this bright light requirement to calibrate on Mazdas in their database, so future customers don't experience the same frustrations I did. All's well that ends well anyway!

370z. Brand new. Day #1. I feel your pain.

pcardoza - can I ask how much the replacement cost at Safelite? And how much more did the OEM end up costing or did they give you a break for your trouble. My Sig 2019 just cracked top to bottom and I'm trying to get educated.

Good to hear it’s resolved.

The GT-R windshield is definitely stronger than the gen 1. I’ve taken quite a few hits. One, however, was too much. Low speed (25 mph) out of state car that I was driving too close to on the way home from snowboarding. A huge rock hit almost dead center which resulted in a significant chip and star. Surprisingly, the star didn’t spread and I was able to take itnto a glass shop to have it repaired. Unfortunately, there is still a 1.5” star and the chip repair itself isn’t so great because of how severe it was.

I’m just really hesitant to have it replaced because of the HUD, cameras, rain sensors and heating elements.

OP- have you confirmed the wiper heaters are working?

Here in MASS there's $0 deductible and the glass guys handle everything with the insurance companies. I have no idea what it cost. Sorry.......

Newer CX-5's come with thicker windshields then gen1's. Not sure why you wouldn't want OEM based on that fact alone?

Newer CX-5's come with thicker windshields then gen1's. Not sure why you wouldn't want OEM based on that fact alone?
Some insurance companies won’t cover OEM if a cheaper aftermarket option is available. Back when I had an OEM windshield installed in our 16.5 GT, Geico tried disputing the claim because it was more expensive OEM glass. The glass shop took care of it for be and explained that at the time, OEM was the only option.

Back