Cat after header

:
Protege 5
This message is mainly for SlimMilkMan327 because i spoke breifly with him about it before but it is also for anyone that knows. The OBX header for the P5 appears to only come solo. Ive heard that some header systems come with an aftermarket cat. Will this eliminate the cat totaly to where i need to get a shop to machine a straight pipe to go in its place or will the factory cat stay in place? I dont know too much about replacing engine parts so if this is a stupid question im sorry for wasting time (blah)

yes it will eliminate the first cat in result, talking with mazda themselves...not the dealer....voiding your warrenty on the exhaust system only. If anything goes wrong with the engine it is still covered. It took me about 4 hours to put the headers in, once I got everything out of the way it fit in pretty nicely. It's just taking everything out that is a pain. I used the "how to install 2.0 headers" off the how to section of these forums and they were a big help.

I'm thinking about getting an OBX header.....is this a direct bolt on mod once you get everything out of the way or is it more complicated than that?

It's a direct bolt on. I would have got it on in less than an hour if my EGR tube would have cooperated. There really isn't much to get out of the way either. It's pretty straightforward.

It's a direct bolt on. I would have got it on in less than an hour if my EGR tube would have cooperated. There really isn't much to get out of the way either. It's pretty straightforward.
Were the gains worth it in your opinion?

For the $200, yes. Out of all the performance mods, the header made the most difference. Best HP/$$ of my mods. Also the best for weight reduction!

For the $200, yes. Out of all the performance mods, the header made the most difference. Best HP/$$ of my mods. Also the best for weight reduction!
Thats good to know. Instead of paying $200 for a CAI I'll spend it on a header.

Another question.....how much louder does the engine get...does it drone really bad or it's just slightly louder?

my exhaust always droaned on the highyway, but the droaning now is unbearable, I need to get maybe a new muffler, a silencer, or something else idk

ottawaP5 said:
Thats good to know. Instead of paying $200 for a CAI I'll spend it on a header.
yes the header will be a great add on to your P5 but if you want optimum performance i would suggest getting the CAI also afterwards because you are gonna be pushing out more air than you are taking in so the CAI and the header together along with a lead foot will make it a beast!! (p5black)

yes the header will be a great add on to your P5 but if you want optimum performance i would suggest getting the CAI also afterwards because you are gonna be pushing out more air than you are taking in so the CAI and the header together along with a lead foot will make it a beast!!
I'll probably be getting an SRI for free next spring so that should take care of that. Can't wait to get that header on!

Back