Car's overheating and I don't know why...

Spiced MSP

:
2016 Peterbilt 579
ok, my car started leaking coolant recently and I found out my water return elbow was leaking. So, I drained the system and replaced the elbow. Started the car and filled with coolant as needed with the heat on full blast. After I topped off the radiator and the overflow, I let the car run with the radiator cap off to get rid of any air pockets, shut the car off, let it cool down and checked the coolant again, repeating the process. Now, the car ran fine for a day and a half before the temp gauge started to rise again. I could drive with the heat on and the temp would drop. Then, it would get to the point where the heat wouldn't do anything. So, I would drive with the AC on so the AC fan would turn on and that would work. Everytime I let the car idle with the rad. cap off, the car is fine for a day and a half. I have replaced the thermostat, radiator cap, drained the system and filled with new coolant. My car has around 76000+ miles on it, so I hope it's not the water pump and I don't think my radiator is clogged. quick question: when you say the radiator could be clogged, are you talking about internal clogging or on the outside inside the fins? I hope it's nothing major as I was planning on tracking my car this weekend. I also noticed whenever the radiator fan would kick on sometimes while idling, I could hear a slight squeaking sound coming from some where in the engine bay but only when the fan kicks on. Finally, running the heat or AC works for a while to keep the temp down while driving, but shortly after that, the temp would still rise slightly sometimes even at highway speeds. Any suggestions? I really want to track my car this weekend but I don't want to risk blowing a head gasket or causing other severe damage. This car is starting to annoy me because everytime I fix one thing, something else goes wrong. I have had coolant issues for a while and now I fix the leak and now it won't stop overheating.

also, today I saw what appeared to be residual coolant around the valve cover gasket. I am pulling the cover now to see if I see anything out of the ordinary...

If you replaced the cap and the thermostat I would move on to the pump. Your pump could be seizing and the belt could be slipping. My belt came off and was a complete headache.

Oh yeah at this time of year I would say it is internally clogged if that is the reason it is overheating. Flushing the system will flush the radiator which would clog the system

you don't need to remove valve cover to check for coolant, check the dipstick. also are you sure your primary fan (passenger side) is working? a squeal could be from it. a/c fan barely covers 1/3 of radiator. could be a belt slipping, but the water pump either works or don't (unless loose wiring)

If you replaced the cap and the thermostat I would move on to the pump. Your pump could be seizing and the belt could be slipping. My belt came off and was a complete headache.
I was really hoping that I wouldn't have to go that route but oh well. How do I go about changing the water pump? Is it behind the pulley that is right beside the thermostat housing?

Oh yeah at this time of year I would say it is internally clogged if that is the reason it is overheating. Flushing the system will flush the radiator which would clog the system
clog what the radiator? or the whole system?
How may times did it overheat???
pretty much every time I drive it. I haven't driven it in two days because of it and the temp gauge doesn't get all the way to the red, I won't let it get that far. But, it does go most of the way up towards the red.

you don't need to remove valve cover to check for coolant, check the dipstick. also are you sure your primary fan (passenger side) is working? a squeal could be from it. a/c fan barely covers 1/3 of radiator. could be a belt slipping, but the water pump either works or don't (unless loose wiring)

I checked the dipstick, the oil looks like oil, no milky look to it. I thought the AC fan was on the passenger side. Either way, both fans work. Drivers side fan kicks on every time I come to a stop or just idling. Passenger fan kicks on whenever I turn on the AC.

Last edited:
I think your head is warped and/or head gasket blown

sorry :(

An easy way to tell believe it or not is to smell the coolant resevoir...if it smells like gas or exhaust, it is blown!
Remember a blown head gasket doesn't necessarily have to mean coolant in the oil or oil in coolant....exhaust pressure in the cooling system can play funny tricks with the temp gauge and create air pockets!!!

Last edited:
Back