CarPlay and USB audio source symbiosis issue

:
2020 CX-5 Gnd T
Hi All,
I own a 2020 CX-5 Grand Touring. The Infotainment system is at version "70.00.335 NA N". When it's playing an audio from the USB drive then plug in my iPhone, the audio will continue to play. However, when I pause the audio, it gets stuck there and will no longer play until I remove the iPhone from its connector. I realize that am spoiled because this worked in the aftermarket Pioneer system I had in my previous car.

Is there a workaround or fix to this or is this expected behavior?

Thanks,
Larry

When playing audio from the USB stick, there are the standard rewind, pause/play and fast forward options just as you can on any DVD or tape player. When you add CarPlay to the system, there is a "Now Playing" section on the display you can pause and play. Pushing the volume control will also pause it. However, when I am using both the USB stick and CarPlay, the USB stick audio won't resume play.
SiriusXM has the same option to pause (pushing the volume control). The stations I listen to will pause when I mute and start up where I left off listening.

Upvote 0
OK, I'd forgotten about those controls at the bottom of the screen.

I tried reproducing the problem you describe on my 2020 GT but it worked fine for me.

Upvote 0
So, if you're playing a tune (or audiobook in my case) from a USB stick and running CarPlay simultaneously, pause and play of the audio from the USB work fine? That worries me. It means that I have a unique problem and support will be hard to come by.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So, if you're playing a tune (or audiobook in my case) from a USB stick and running CarPlay simultaneously, pause and play of the audio from the USB work fine? That worries me. It means that I have a unique problem and support will be hard to come by.
Yes, I had my iPhone connected via CarPlay and was able to play and pause USB audio. I wasn't using CarPlay but it was connected and showed up as an audio source.

Upvote 0
I think that using CarPlay is the issue. The system doesn't handle the USB audio file correctly within the CarPlay GUI. I have Navigation so I may not need CarPlay while playing USB files. The system is two versions down from the current version so updating might help.

Upvote 0
What USB Stick do you use in your Mazda? I have a 2021 CX5 and have tried a couple different USB drives and none have worked to play music.

Upvote 0
What USB Stick do you use in your Mazda? I have a 2021 CX5 and have tried a couple different USB drives and none have worked to play music.
I own two 128GB stubby sticks that work in the Infotainment center. Both are preformatted to FAT32. The first is a San Disk - Amazon item B01BGTG2A0. I rotate it with a PNY (also a stubby) but I forget where I got it. It might be equivalent to item B01LFV52T6 but I would just get the San Disk. On my PC, I have a master directory where I keep a "golden image directory" that I keep updated with any additions/deletions. When I'm done with updates for awhile, I use Robocopy to sync up the directories to the spare USB. I use Robocopy (it's included with Windows) to avoid excessive writes to the flash drives. Or maybe I just worry too much. If you have a mac, I don't know what to suggest.

--
Larry

Upvote 0
Back