car won't start

buhtcheeks

:
protege5
i'm new to this forum, been looking around for bout a week or so, but now i've got an issue. my protege5 just stopped on me, it was running fine, changed the oil, cranked it up and ran it for about 2-3 mins then cut it off. put it back on the ground, went upstairs came back tried to start it and heard a single click from that relay on the passenger side under the dash. won't jump start, lights don't dim when i turn the key, so its not the battery. had the battery checked and it came back 12.63v and 773cca. won't jumpstart either. replaced the starter, cleaned and/or replaced the ground wires. i have been told everything from the ignition, the clutch sensor, the starter cut relay, positive battery cable, but i'm at a lose. can anybody chime in and let me know if they've had this issue?

a kindred spirit

I had this problem in December. it baffled me to no end. do you have a kill switch? well I had one, and didn't know it (previous owner failed to mention it to me and apparently it did nothing until it went bad lol) and it was faulty, and I had the exact same symptoms as you! once i discovered I had a kill switch, cut it out and worked like a charm.

on another note though: your clutch pedal sensor did you end up replacing htat?

nope, no kill switch i can think of. have the factory alarm...the clutch sensor was my next idea, dealer has it for around $40. been working my way backwards starting with the starter. replaced it since i have almost 200,000 miles.

don't think its the starter, had it tested, damn near jumped off the table when power was put to it. i'm think'n ignition, clutch sensor, or starter cut relay. i already did everything else...new/or cleaned grounds, new battery, might put in a new alternator for s**** and giggles. cars been sitting in front of my garage for almost a week, so at least i'm not stranded anywhere, just blows i can't figure this out. try'n to finish put'n my gauges in but i'm stuck beat'n my head (no pun intended) over this. and i bet its something simple...

funny you should mention the alarm, when i hit the button to arm it the tail lights flash real quick to let you know its armed, that's not happening. i can damn near jump up and down on the car and not even get a warning honk from the horn when its suppose to be armed. can you deactivate it like aftermarket alarms? but then again, i barely use the alarm if at all, the honking pattern when activated is enough to drive me insane.

Last edited:
You can't de activate it you have to get a new one the car won't start without it hooked up either unfortunatly unless you push start it

since it's not cranking, your problem is upstream of the starter. You checked the start itself, ok. How about the wires feeding the starter, do they have voltage on them? Test it w/ a voltmeter (key does not have to be in the on position, hell, even better, take the key out to avoid accidentally bridging the gap and cranking it.) if no voltmeter, take a screwdriver (you have to be below car) and use it to bridge the gap between the starter terminal. see this thread for more details: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123791984-Starter&p=5584113&highlight=#post5584113

this will determine if the problem is lack of power at the starter OR if there is power at the starter and it is just lacking a signal to the solenoid. to check for a faulty clutch sensor, just bypass the sensor switch by tieing the wires straight through (or if you have a multimeter check for continuity across the sensor when the button is depressed (ie - cluth is pushed down).

After that it gets a bit tougher assuming you already checked all the fuses...you will need to track the ingition signal back to whereever it is not coming from, which i'm not too sure about...good luck!

alright after exactly a week i figured i'd better stop bulls***'n around and get it started. popped under the dash to look at the clutch sensor and while i was look'n for it saw the brains for the alarm with a #20 fuse lead'n out. wanted to look at that anyway because like i said my alarm wasn't alarm'n. pull'd the fuse out and low and behold it had pop'd. put another in and vroom, vroom she started right up. my alarm either wasn't get'n the required power or wasn't send'n it back out to the starter cut relay, which in turn cut my engine, so mazda speeder was dead on about the fuses, and i thought i check'd them all, all but that one. thanks for let'n me bounce my ideas around and the input i got...

Back