Car thinks it's not in Park

nXt

:
2014 CX-5 Touring FWD Tech Pkg
Hi Guys, this issue started about a week ago.
2014 Touring with Tech, automatic, audio head unit upgraded to a Kenwood last year, no issues.

Anyways, I park, put the shifter to Park, pull parking brake, then press the Power button.
Screen says Put Shifter in P, engine turns off, electronics still on.
I have to start the car, mess with the shifter, and keep trying for a minute or so, off, on off on off, on, then it finally turns off.
When I put the shifter into Park, my car unlocks, take it out, it locks, so it does work, but car won't turn off properly.

Anyone know what's going on? Rather not take it to dealer, they'd probably argue the head unit screwed things up or something.

Rather not take it to dealer, they'd probably argue the head unit screwed things up or something.

Did you modify the head unit? I guess I'm confused why you are predicting that.

Did you modify the head unit? I guess I'm confused why you are predicting that.

Like I said, I replaced my stock radio with a Kenwood DDX99702, I just don't wanna deal with a the dealer saying maybe the electronics got screwy cuz of the head unit. /shrug
Just trying to see if anyone's had this issue with car not wanting to turn off thinking it's not in Park.

Remove the NEG battery cable for a few minutes and then replace... give the car a, 'reboot'? Just a thought that is easy to execute. Seems you have an electrical/electronic gremlin and not a mechanical one.

Tried unplugging the battery, no go. Hell tonight was even worse, took 20 minutes or so to turn the damn car off.
Then the light on the starter button is now flashing Amber, manual says to take it in for service.
But now that it's flashing amber, it's turning on and off properly, wtf. Going to pull the battery now to reset. We'll see, and it's back to not turning off.

I have extended warranty, so I should be good.
Thanks for the link, I'll print that up when I bring it in to dealer.

Last edited:
Could be an issue with the push button start if it seems to recognize a fault.

Just got a call from the dealer.
Shifter does need to be replaced. Part is ~$200, with labor going to be about ~$200.
NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY was that I was told. :(

Just got a call from the dealer.
Shifter does need to be replaced. Part is ~$200, with labor going to be about ~$200.
NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY was that I was told. :(
Wait, even if you showed them the TSB??? Call Mazda Customer Experience Center and file a complain!

Wait, even if you showed them the TSB??? Call Mazda Customer Experience Center and file a complain!

The link above isn't a TSB. I do have access to a TSB database from AllDataPro, I'll go look.
Yup, nothing in the TSB database.

Last edited:
Are you outside of the 3 year/36k bumper to bumper? Not surprised it isn't part of drivetrain warranty though.

Are you outside of the 3 year/36k bumper to bumper? Not surprised it isn't part of drivetrain warranty though.

Yeah, I'm at almost 4yr and 54,000. Got the extended warranty, 60,000 but not included...

That's the problem with extended warranties.

Yup, this is my 2nd new car, 1st car was first year Mazda3 2004. That one, the AC compressor blew up just after 60K too so warranty was useless.
My next cars in the future I will not get Extended Warranty.

Hi Guys, this issue started about a week ago.
2014 Touring with Tech, automatic, audio head unit upgraded to a Kenwood last year, no issues.

Anyways, I park, put the shifter to Park, pull parking brake, then press the Power button.
Screen says Put Shifter in P, engine turns off, electronics still on.
I have to start the car, mess with the shifter, and keep trying for a minute or so, off, on off on off, on, then it finally turns off.
When I put the shifter into Park, my car unlocks, take it out, it locks, so it does work, but car won't turn off properly.

Anyone know what's going on? Rather not take it to dealer, they'd probably argue the head unit screwed things up or something.
This is happening to me as well. What did you do to fix it?
thanks

thanks
What model year is your CX-5? And do you have “gated” automatic shifter?

3192D71B-38A6-45F5-859B-401E6C7B803D.png

thanks
I fixed this problem on our 2014 some years ago. There's a sensor switch under the console cover that had moved slightly and was not registering correctly. I just repositioned it and it has worked ever since. I cannot recall now exactly what I did - may just have been loosened the screws and moved, or maybe I had to pad it. You should be able to see yourself when you take the shifter cover panel off.

Update: there are videos etc on google: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=mazda+cx-5+park+switch+repair

Back