Car Seat Question about 2020 CX-5

Looking to pull the trigger on a new CX-5. Car seats are in my spouse's car. Spouse, car, and babies are out of state and I'll be driving over to them in a few months once my work contract expires and these quarantines somewhat relax.

We've got two Graco extend-2-fit carseats. Pretty standard. Anyone with these seats (or something similar) can fit two carseats in the back? They're delivering the vehicle to me and I don't want to buy another car seat just to test.

Spouse and I are regular sized people and don't need too much space in the front seats. Would appreciate any input!

I don't have kids or use car seats, but thought I'd give you this link to where you can download the 2020 CX-5 Owner's Manual and other useful guides and documents. At first I extracted the section on the Child Restraint System to post here for you, but figured you might want to get a head start on reading the manual before you pick up your car. Sounds like you have time on your hands, being away from home.

The section on the Child Restraint System starts on Pg 2-35, or document page 49. It will give you a context for when someone else directly answers your question. It's very specific on the type of seats you can use.

What trim did you buy?

Looking to pull the trigger on a new CX-5. Car seats are in my spouse's car. Spouse, car, and babies are out of state and I'll be driving over to them in a few months once my work contract expires and these quarantines somewhat relax.

We've got two Graco extend-2-fit carseats. Pretty standard.

Spouse and I are regular sized people and don't need too much space in the front seats. Would appreciate any input!
Any modern car can fit carseats in the back seat, given that you are regular sized people who don't need much space.

Buy whatever vehicle suits your needs/wants best, then worry about the carseats later.

You would be MUCH better off spending a few hundred bucks on new cars seats, if you happen to find front seat space lacking, rather that buying some much bigger or crappier vehicle.

There are lots of options for compact car seats and your kids won't be rear-facing for all that long.

Any modern car can fit carseats in the back seat, given that you are regular sized people who don't need much space.

Buy whatever vehicle suits your needs/wants best, then worry about the carseats later.

You would be MUCH better off spending a few hundred bucks on new cars seats, if you happen to find front seat space lacking, rather that buying some much bigger or crappier vehicle.

There are lots of options for compact car seats and your kids won't be rear-facing for all that long.

I would have agreed, pre kid.

We have the one 14 month old now, a Graco 4 ever fit in cx5 but barely. We're both 5 ft 6. So i'd be careful with fit if you're anywhere near 6 ft in a cx5. With any car seat.

It. Is. Tight. If you like a reclined position, even more. It's not the width. It's the upper portion of the back of your seat.

But even more informative for me was when we got a diff seat, a clek foonf. Huge seat. Built by Cdn who was former car engineer at Magna. No way I can see it fitting in cx5 (but I didn't try, was at dealer test for fit with Graco). I do know in my cx9 it is tight to install. Again, I'm a small guy but getting that thing in was like being a contortionist.

I'd have never guessed all that two yrs ago. I would def look at all cars if i thought my seat wouldn't fit. Graco was never comfortable for kid (neck compression) hence the clek. His comfort for me is more imp than car brand. And safety for me was paramount. If it is tight, and you compromise on fit and secure level of attachment for carseat...well, don't.

And they are in these things years now, rear facing. Seats vary, my clek will be until like 40 lb rear facing, 60 lb forward facing. Not sure how old a 60 lb kid is. But I will have longer relationship with that seat than with my car. Maybe even the next one, as I lease.

So I think both need to work together. Car and carseat. Heck, three need to work together, if you incl kid. Mine didn't like a car seat meaning screams while driving. Likes his new one, stares out window in happy silence.

I believe he's decided to buy the Sig. He's just trying to get ahead of a possible car seat issue he can't directly test right now due to life circumstances.

We have the one 14 month old now, a Graco 4 ever fit in cx5 but barely.
It. Is. Tight. If you like a reclined position, even more.

But even more informative for me was when we got a diff seat, a clek foonf. Huge seat. No way I can see it fitting in cx5 .

I would def look at all cars if i thought my seat wouldn't fit. His comfort for me is more imp than car brand. And safety for me was paramount.

And they are in these things years now, rear facing. Seats vary, my clek will be until like 40 lb rear facing, 60 lb forward facing. Not sure how old a 60 lb kid is. But I will have longer relationship with that seat than with my car. Maybe even the next one, as I lease.

So I think both need to work together. Car and carseat.
I disagree with most of this. It is not rocket science.
This should be a non-issue if you are an average sized person, buying an average sized car, and not leaning back like a gangsta.

I have two young kids who have been in rear facing, front facing and booster seats.
I've never had any problem in any of my vehicles, the largest of which has been a compact SUV.

You don't have to buy an all-in-one seat, as they tend to be bigger/bulkier. You can buy a dedicated rear facing, then move the a convertible front facing. That is what we did and never had any problems.

There is a wealth of information about carseats. Here is one example. I would recommend the Combi Coccoro if space is an issue.

You don't have to buy an all-in-one seat, as they tend to be bigger/bulkier. You can buy a dedicated rear facing, then move the a convertible front facing. That is what we did and never had any problems.

This is true, so if that is an option for OP then sure. Someone also mentioned the cx5 may be a done deal, so then absolutely looking at a diff seat should the Graco not fit would be best option.

But if he's sticking with Graco, I do feel it will fit. Probably. But I'm just not sure, as many convertibles have issues. I mentioned narrow seating isn't a problem, but I was too quick to say that. It can be, in terms of belt width. there are many factors.

Example- I tried to follow best practices with my Clek and place it in middle of bench in cx9. IMO it's a no go. Belt in middle position doesn't provide adequate width for secure install, and seat is too shallow so carseat has overhang. I'd never have guessed that would happen in a car the size of cx9, but there you go. Mine is now in outboard position. In my CRV, fits middle no issues. It's not a compact vs other vehicle sizes issue. It's a specific car issue. Some are just not friendly to car seats (see Subaru forester forums if you want to see angry parents)

It's not rocket sci, but I've seen things. Friends with wobbly installs, front facing to early, using latch beyond recommended weight. Hell, most think Latch is better than belt install, which is wrong. Many people make errors.

I knew nothing of all this, so I paid trained installers to show me. 2 diff guys, for 4 seats in total. One was great. The other was with one of biggest chains in toronto area, his install was crap. Had 3 inches of play. I had to hop in to fix in order to drive home. Even trained pros get this wrong.

So, although it's not rocket sci, I feel a lot of people believe that and thus take it too lightly. I don't mean you specifically, but I think many parents take more chances than I would. But...to each their own.

I knew nothing of all this, so I paid trained installers to show me. 2 diff guys, for 4 seats in total. One was great. The other was with one of biggest chains in toronto area, his install was crap. Had 3 inches of play. I had to hop in to fix in order to drive home. Even trained pros get this wrong.
That's actually great advice, GTA.

Here in the states, local police departments have Car Seat Days where they not only give away car seats to those who cannot afford them, they help with the install and adjustment for anyone who asks.

>People could stop by their local police department and ask for guidance
>Many state police departments have Certified Car Seat Techs on staff
>Here's a website where you can search for a Certified Car Seat Tech in your area
>>22,077 listings in USA
>>2 listings in Canada (Brampton and Edmonton)

The Tech in my rural region is at the children's hospital the next county over, so your local hospital might be another resource.

Last edited:
I tried to follow best practices with my Clek and place it in middle of bench in cx9. IMO it's a no go.
I'd never have guessed that would happen in a car the size of cx9, but there you go.
In my CRV, fits middle no issues. It's not a compact vs other vehicle sizes issue. It's a specific car issue. Some are just not friendly to car seats (see Subaru forester forums if you want to see angry parents)

It's not rocket sci, but I've seen things.
So, although it's not rocket sci, I feel a lot of people believe that and thus take it too lightly. I don't mean you specifically, but I think many parents take more chances than I would. But...to each their own.
My rocket science comments was not about the installation techniques of car seats.
I said finding/purchasing a car seat that will fit any normal vehicle is not rocket science.
This was a response to your comment that the Graco 4 ever fit "barely fitting" and there being "no way" to fit the Clek.

The simple solution is to do a bit of research and buy a different car seat that does fit your particular car, instead of changing the type of vehicle you currently have/plan to purchase.

It is much easier to spend $100-$300 on a new car seat than to fret/worry about the poor fitment in your particular car OR purchase a different, less desirable car just because your current car seat fits better.

Some specific vehicle types may not accept every type of car seat (as you found out).
But you can absolutely purchase a car seat that works with any normal vehicle sold today.

The simple solution is to do a bit of research and buy a different car seat that does fit your particular car, instead of changing the type of vehicle you currently have/plan to purchase.

It is much easier to spend $100-$300 on a new car seat than to fret/worry about the poor fitment in your particular car OR purchase a different, less desirable car just because your current car seat fits better.

Some specific vehicle types may not accept every type of car seat (as you found out).
But you can absolutely purchase a car seat that works with any normal vehicle sold today.

I'd say most would agree with you on this. But for me, if given the chance before I purchase, I'd reconsider cars. Many great options today, it's not as if the cx5 is the only one.

But again that's me, I am a bit OCD about these things. But I will say my kid in a seat he doesn't like vs one he does is night and day. I wouldn't take a free S class if it meant the Graco, as my kid would be fussy or scream the whole time. There would be no way I could enjoy or even drive the car without being extremely frustrated.

But yes, if starting searches from scratch (which I realize the OP isn't doing) any car will find a seat. Is it a seat I trust? No way. I have a Clek for a reason. It's not like I wanted to spend 3x the price of regular carseat for kicks.

But again,I take these things extreme at times.

But for me, if given the chance before I purchase, I'd reconsider cars. Many great options today, it's not as if the cx5 is the only one.

But again that's me, I am a bit OCD about these things. But I will say my kid in a seat he doesn't like vs one he does is night and day.

But again,I take these things extreme at times.
You lease your cars, and since you only have it for ~3 years, it doesn't matter if you don't really like the vehicle, it's not ideal, doesn't suit your needs/preferences, has poor reliability, ect.
You can get away with selecting a $30K+ vehicle based on how your existing $300 car seat fits.

For everyone else, it would make much more sense to select the expensive vehicle first, then purchase a safe carseat that fits it.

But yes, if starting searches from scratch (which I realize the OP isn't doing) any car will find a seat. Is it a seat I trust? No way. I have a Clek for a reason. It's not like I wanted to spend 3x the price of regular carseat for kicks.
Many of the best (high end) carseats are some of the smallest.
They are designed in Europe and Japan, where cars are much smaller than here in the U.S.

I have a 2018 Mazda CX-5. I was considering getting another car because of the lack of space (I am 5 foot eight) but I bought the Graco Extend2fit yesterday and it fits well! I put it rear-facing in the center seat (there is a 43% lower chance of injury in the middle seat ) and it is on the three for incline, so it is kind of straight, but I have plenty of room in the front and no longer drive with my knees against the dash. I could probably even put it on the two so it’s a little more reclined. I would have a little bit less space, but I think it would be doable. Either way it is way better than it was with the Graco contender 65. Ironically, the Graco contender 65 fits great in my husband’s 2014 Ford Focus. It’s a great car seat and I highly recommend it, but it just didn’t fit in my car well rear-facing.

Back