Car and Driver

Just received the May 2020 issue of Car and Driver. They tested 6 2020 Crossovers with the following results:

6. Ford Escape
5. Subaru Forrester
4. Toyota RAV4
3. Honda CR-V
2. Volks Tiquan
1. Mazda CX 5 (GT AWD)

Now, let's hope Mazda marketing builds on this with some boasting ads.

Does VW even make the body for the Tiquan? I don't know what it means or what the correct pronunciation is. I guess they supply the drivetrain.

Does VW even make the body for the Tiquan? I don't know what it means or what the correct pronunciation is. I guess they supply the drivetrain.
From Wiki:
The name Tiguan is a portmanteau (blend of words) of the German words Tiger ("tiger") and Leguan ("iguana")

I don't know what a tiger/iguana hybrid is supposed to conjure up...either an orange striped lizard or a tiger that repeatedly sticks its tongue out at you. Sounds like the Jägermeister was flowing freely at that marketing meeting.

Regarding the original post: I still smile when I hear of/read these articles. These are such great cars. CX FIVER is right, we hope Mazda leverages them...but in our hearts we seriously doubt that they will. All Mazda has to do is get people in to sit behind the wheel and let the car sell itself. It continues to boggle the mind.

I guess I can understand why they nixed iguana. And there might be enough Tigers already.

I guess it's just as good as Rabbit, or Beetle.

Fox was probably their best name and they didn't get much use out of it.

I guess I can understand why they nixed iguana. And there might be enough Tigers already.

I guess it's just as good as Rabbit, or Beetle.

Fox was probably their best name and they didn't get much use out of it.

The VW Fox was the first car that I owned - was a terrific car that never gave me problems. I followed that up with a Jetta GLX that was a blast to drive.

Man - I really wish my CX5 had a manual transmission like both of those cars did!

The VW Fox was the first car that I owned - was a terrific car that never gave me problems. I followed that up with a Jetta GLX that was a blast to drive.

Man - I really wish my CX5 had a manual transmission like both of those cars did!
Yup.

I have places that I drive in Manual Mode, but it's unsatisfying.

Until recently I had a 1990 Volvo 740 with a manual 4 speed and electric 5th gear overdrive. I'm in the country and loved driving that thing down these winding roads.

On the other hand, the automatic in my CX-5 has likely kept me out of trouble ;) It would be nothing but Zoom-Zoom!!!

I would like any of those cars on the list if they had a 6MT. I have a little trouble with the CVTs, knowing they cost more than a manual and yet inferior. They are getting better but manual is still my preference.

I'd wait until 2022. With the mazda 6 rdw i6, the cx5 may get the i6 as well

What? VW makes the entire car. You know VW is one of the largest carmakers in the world, right?

Yeah, sorry. I thought I'd read they procured bodies from another maker. I have owned a couple of VWs.

Ya, with all the positive reviews, rankings, accolades, awards etc that Mazda receives, they never seem to take advantage of it in their ads or promotions.
The Mazda3 just won the world design award, and I'm willing to bet Mazda does nothing with it.
Their marketing guru needs to be replaced.

Ya, with all the positive reviews, rankings, accolades, awards etc that Mazda receives, they never seem to take advantage of it in their ads or promotions.
The Mazda3 just won the world design award, and I'm willing to bet Mazda does nothing with it.
Their marketing guru needs to be replaced.

Yep, it’s so bad it’s not even funny. If this luxury push stands any chance, Mazda definitely needs a major shakeup in the marketing department.

Mazda is in the process of a nationwide face-lift of their dealerships called Retail Evolution Design. I've seen the drawings of the one my dealership is in the process of building...they are very upscale. Two story all glass buildings with cars displayed on the second floor.

iu

iu

iu

Their financials have talked a lot about improving/upgrading the dealer channel and sales networks, but I've not read anything about more aggressive/modified media marketing. Let's hope it is gonna follow soon after the dealer upgrades are complete.

Guess who will pay for all these upgrades? Will be interesting to see when comparing discounts if newly remodeled dealers are competitive.

Guess who will pay for all these upgrades? Will be interesting to see when comparing discounts if newly remodeled dealers are competitive.

If they weren't competitive, they would simply fail (spectacularly, at that). Do you really think that 2021 models would increase in price significantly, solely based on dealership renos? I dunno, personally I don't think so.

Next time I'm in for service I'll ask.

I wondered the same thing. It might be funded from corporate, but we're their only source of cash regardless of who in the chain pays for it.

The bottom line is they still gotta be compete with other manufacturers.

My dealership (like others) sells several different brands. So he is going to locate all his dealerships into the same "car mall," anchored by the Mazda building.

Mazda and Car and Driver been in a secret affair for years. I've never tabulated, but anecdotally no other mainstream brand wins their comparos as much. And I noticed that before owing one.

The tiguan is an interesting one. When it first came out, was middle road in reviews. Lost it's driver edge compared to last gen. Surprised it posted #2 from anyone let alone C and D. I'll need to check this article out.

Being a drivers car (like Mazdas are) is hard to beat if you are in a comparo from C and D. Anyone study the old summary chart they'd put in print editions in the 80s and 90s? I was addicted. Their times were always faster than R and T and MT. Made me a fan! Hard driving test drivers.

A 2019 CX5 GT (NA) went up against the all new Ford Escape and beat it out in a recent C&D 1 vs 1 comparison as well. They compared mid-trim models.

Also of note they got a fairly decent 0-60 time out of the NA with the sprint doing 7.9 seconds to 60. One of the faster times listed for the 2nd Gen non-turbo.

Checked out the article, what is ineresting is they didn't opt for top engines all around. Doing so would (at least in Canada) drop the VW and Subaru as they don't have a bigger engine that could keep up.

Ignoring Hybrids (not my thing at this point) and it leaves I believe the Escape. Which would not be able to come close to CX5 given the last place rank.

So for many, walking in to dealer and asking to drive the top line non hybrid of these, nothing would touch the CX5. Not even close.

I'm not as knowledgeable about Hybrid models, I know the RAV is supposed to be a rocket. The CRV I'm not sure.

Even a faster version of a RAV or CRV,certainly if one values the driver feel, it's still impressive level of dominance for being well into the life cycle of the gen

Back