Car and Driver 2014 Mazda3 First Drive Review: The segment might have a new King

coolmazda5

Contributor
:
2008 Mazda5 5MT Sport w/ Popular Package
2014-mazda-3-hatchback-interior-photo-525975-s-520x318.jpg

Since its 2003 debut, the Mazda 3 has always left us grinning. We even kept grinning after Mazdas designers pasted an actual smile on the face of the second-generation model. That stylistic misstep turned out to be one of our biggest gripes with the old 3; others were essentially limited to a smallish rear seat and the so-so fuel economy when equipped with the 2.5-liter engine. Still, a 3 with the 2.5 finished a strong second behind the current Ford Focus and ahead of a Volkswagen Jetta, Chevrolet Cruze, and Hyundai Elantra in a 2011 comparison test.

No Bones about These Bones

The Mazda 3 has been thoroughly redone for 2014, and the result might stand a chance at unseating the 10Best-winning Ford Focus, a comparison-test darling, as king of the segment. Previously, this would have constituted a sibling rivalry, as the 3 shared a platform with the first-generation Focus. But with Ford and Mazdas divorce finalized, the Japanese company whipped up its own lightweight Skyactiv architecture and slid it under the new Mazda 3. (The Skyactiv name is also applied to the platforms that support the CX-5 and new 6, but the 3s structure, although conceptually similar, is unique.)

According to Mazda, the new structure boasts a 30-percent improvement in torsional rigidity, and curb weight is down by about 60 and 100 pounds, depending on trim level. We havent weighed the 3 on our scales, but Mazdas numbers are generally within a few pounds of ours, so figure on a weight range of 28003050 pounds. Other pertinent numbers: The wheelbase is stretched by 2.4 inches, overall length is down by just over half an inch in the sedan version and 1.8 inches in the five-door, width is up by 1.6 inches, and height is down by 0.6 inch. Rear-seat space is now class competitive and comfortable for six-footers.

But dimensional differences will be the last thing on your mind when you lay eyes on the 2014 3. Mazda has combined elements of the 6 sedan and CX-5 SUV to create a handsome and elegant compact. Notable cues are a relatively long nose and an upright windshield. The proportions are closer to those of a rear-drive car than of the cab-forward designs worn by the Hyundai Elantra and Honda Civic. Even the sedan looks fantastic, which is something that cannot be said of most compacts, including the Ford Focus. That new body is also quite aerodynamic according to Mazda, but the major boost in fuel economy comes from the 2.0-liter and 2.5-liter four-cylinder engines.

Skyactivs the Limit

Mazda fans might recognize the 2.0-liter Skyactiv engine, the powerplant in all 3i models. In the previous 3, the Skyactiv 2.0-liter was fitted with a fairly conventional exhaust manifold designed to fit into the old architectures smaller engine compartment. But the 2.0-liter was designed to have a bulkier, larger exhaust manifold, which now fits in the new car. Why should you care? Because it delivers more midrange torque. At the 4000-rpm torque peak, the engine is up only 2 lb-ft over last years , but it delivers 148 lb-ft at 3000 rpm, as much as the old version did at its 4100-rpm peak. Coupled with the six-speed automatic, the 2.0-liter is expected to return EPA numbers of 30 mpg city and 41 highway in the sedan and 30/40 in the hatchback. Manual versions achieve the same highway numbers but lose 1 mpg in the city cycle.

Acceleration isnt exactly strong in the base 3 i, but the 155-hp engine has enough muscle to pull itself to freeway speeds without eliciting any worry from the driver. Engine noise is kept distant, and the note doesnt really change as the revs increase. Theres no waiting for the power to arrive, but rather a smooth, steady stream of pull.

Performance junkies will likely gravitate toward the more powerful 184-hp, 2.5-liter Skyactiv engine offered in the 3. Opting for the 2.5-liter brings quicker acceleration without much of a fuel-economy penalty. What the larger engine will cost is still up in the air; the upcharge to fit a (non-Skyactiv) 2.5 in the outgoing model was $1550.

Output is up by 17 horses and 17 lb-ft over that of the previous 2.5-liter, and fuel economy is vastly improved. Last year, the old 2.5 put up EPA numbers of 20/28 with a manual and 22/29 with an automatic. Mazdas projected EPA numbers for the new 2.5 are 28/39 and 28/37 for the sedan and hatch automaticsa manual version will come a few months after the 3s September on-sale date. For the seriously fuel conscious, Mazda offers its i-ELOOP technology on the auto-equipped 2.5. The i-ELOOP system has grille shutters and an alternator that charges a capacitor for energy storage when the car is coasting. The energy is used to power the 12-volt accessories. Check the box for the i-ELOOP option, and EPA mileage rises to 29/40 mpg for the sedan (up 1 in each column) and 29/39 (increases of 1 and 2) for the hatchback.

A Fine-Driving Automobile

Theres a certain familiarity about the way the 3 drives. The steering is light, but the electric power-steering system is tuned to provide good feedback and effort during cornering. Ride quality isnt much different whether the 3 rolls on the 2.0-liters 16-inch wheels or the 2.5s standard 18-inchers. What we did notice is the 215/45R-18 Dunlop SP5000 A/S tires provide more grip than does the smaller 205/60R-16 rubber on the 2.0-liter. Body roll in either spec is very well controlled, but the 2.5 is definitely the sharper handler of the two.

As mentioned, the automatic will be the only gearbox available with the 2.5-liter engine at launch, but early adopters shouldnt fret. This automatic behaves like a well-driven manual. Hit the Sport button, and the transmission holds off on upshifts and will automatically downshift under braking to give you the right gear for the corner. If you crave more involvement, the 2.5 includes paddle shifters on the steering wheel. Unfortunately, the 2.0-liter automatic offers neither paddle shifters nor a Sport mode, but you can move the gear selector into a manual gate and shift via the lever if you wish to override the computer.

Sit back, let the automatic do its thing, and take in your surroundings, and the simple, elegant design of the new interior impresses. The shape of the instrument cluster is reminiscent ofmercy!the McLaren 12Cs. In the 3 s, the 2.5-liter version, the tachometer is front and center just like in the McLaren. A small digital speed indicator sits in the lower-right-hand corner of the tach, and another digital speedo is displayed on a small, gun-sight-like plastic screen that folds out of the dashboard. The 2.0-liter version makes do with a center-mounted analog speedo and digital tach.

Jutting out of the center of the instrument panel is a screen that displays radio, navigation, phone, and vehicle-setting information; its operated with the Commander knob or via touch inputs. Unfortunately, the prototypes we drove didnt have infotainment systems that were ready for us to play with, so we cant report on the systems usability or quality.

When the 2014 3 goes on sale in September, it should stand as a strong threat to the Focuss class-leading status. Pricing is expected to mirror todays, which starts at $17,495 and rises to $26,445 for a top-spec 3 s hatchback. A new Volkswagen Golf will arrive next year, too, and our first drive of the European version indicates that it will make a strong play for the compact-car crown. Oh, and the new 2014 Corolla is also coming this fall. Were fairly certain it will sell well. An intense comparison test is brewing, so stay tuned.

[Car And Driver]

You know, it's really interesting that all the review sites are panning the 2.0L, where they praised it in the 2012 model. I think they're just viewing it through the lens of preferring the 2.5L, based on this:

2004 Mazda 3s hatch, 2.3L engine - 160 HP, 150 lb-ft torque, 2800 pounds.
2014 Mazda 3i hatch, 2.0L engine - 155 HP, 150 lb-ft torque, 2800 pounds.

5 HP is a rounding error, especially with that old inefficient 4 speed auto they used back then. ;) And the SkyActiv peaks are lower too.

The 2.0 litre is great for people cross shopping the 3 with the Civic, Elantra and Corolla which all come with 1.8L. I think the 2.0 will be a great regular engine, but when compared to a more powerful, somewhat as efficient 2.5 litre, I can't see why any journalist would praise the 2.0 litre.

That just points out the obvious, 160 hp vs 184 hp, who would willing prefer 24 less HP? But honestly the standard 2.0 is at the top of the HP list in the compact segment anyway, so putting a 2.5 that produces 184 HP is really sweet. Does anyone else even come close to that in the compact segment?160 HP in the 3, and holds it own, 184 HP and it will really move quickly.

The new Golf/Jetta 1.8l Turbo that is will be available next year is supposed to have 170hp and probably more lower end torque. The Dart when equipped with the 2.4l makes 184hp but produces around 170lbs/ft of torque.

The Kia Forte5 and Koup will make 170 HP with their 2.0L, 200 HP with a 1.6L turbo. The Forte sedan doesn't get the turbo option. That turbo engine has been relatively well received in the Veloster Turbo, but the Forte will be heavier. And of course, neither engine gets the fuel economy that Mazda gets out of the 2.5L: the 2.0L "Nu" in the Kia does 24/36. The turbo gets less than that.

That's still my second option if for some insane reason I don't like the new Mazda3 when I test drive it. Or if the dealer proves unwilling to make a reasonable deal.

The Forte might be a little more aerodynamic than the Veloster so if that's true that could mean it'll have a little bit better mpgs than the Veloster though it won't touch the 3.

Does anyone know how much lighter is the new 3 compared to the outgoing one? I've only seen the spec sheets from first drive reviews and they all say between 2800 to 3000 some odd pounds, which means the car only lost between 50 to 100 lbs? That doesn't seem very much if its true.

Yeah, in fact the Forte's supposed to have the same C/D as the Mazda3 will have. Between that and the 2014 Corolla, Mazda's got some serious competition dropping at the same time. And the 2014 Forte sedan has already been reviewed, fairly positively. Should be interesting to see comparison reviews of the three.

Yeah, in fact the Forte's supposed to have the same C/D as the Mazda3 will have. Between that and the 2014 Corolla, Mazda's got some serious competition dropping at the same time. And the 2014 Forte sedan has already been reviewed, fairly positively. Should be interesting to see comparison reviews of the three.

Its quite impressive how far Hyundai/Kia have come and its gonna be a hard decision to make if I have to choose between the 3 and the Forte SX hatch assuming the latter's gas mileage estimates only go down 1-2mpg with the 1.6T compared to the EX 2 liter. On another note, I wonder if Subaru will ever give the Impreza a second engine choice seeing as the WRX/STI line is going to be on its own and they did show a 1.6T at the 2011 Tokyo Auto Show. That'd make a nice competitor to the 3s 2.5 and the Forte SX.

Last edited:
The 1.6T is only getting 33 highway in the Veloster, that's probably the best we could expect out of a Forte. Hyundais just aren't as fuel efficient, and that 6-speed of theirs is pretty parasitic (of course, it's from back in 2009). I hear they're working on a 7 speed DCT and a 10 speed automatic, but who knows if either one can mate up with the Nu and Gamma engines?

I always thought Mazda was a little small to be designing their own transmissions but I can't find any reference to any sort of supplier for the SkyActiv units.

The 1.6T is only getting 33 highway in the Veloster, that's probably the best we could expect out of a Forte. Hyundais just aren't as fuel efficient, and that 6-speed of theirs is pretty parasitic (of course, it's from back in 2009). I hear they're working on a 7 speed DCT and a 10 speed automatic, but who knows if either one can mate up with the Nu and Gamma engines?

I always thought Mazda was a little small to be designing their own transmissions but I can't find any reference to any sort of supplier for the SkyActiv units.

Neither can I. Though its quite remarkable how well they've made the skyactiv-drive. What I do want to see though is how much power they can extract out of the 2.5 or 2 liter whichever one they use for the Mazdaspeed3 though I'm sure it should be quite easy to get it up to 240hp with a couple changes on the 2.5. Personally, I think the MS3 should stay a turbocharged car but I doubt that'll ever happen.

The rumor I've been reading is that the Veloster turbo will be getting a 7 speed DCT for 2014, which could bode well for improving mpg's then there's also the rumored power increase for the 1.6T. Possibly to differentiate the Veloster Turbo from the Forte SX if it proves true. Both could happen though seeing as they launched the Equus full size luxury sedan with the tau 4.6 V8 and 6AT then the next year switch to the 5 liter and 8AT

Neither can I. Though its quite remarkable how well they've made the skyactiv-drive. What I do want to see though is how much power they can extract out of the 2.5 or 2 liter whichever one they use for the Mazdaspeed3 though I'm sure it should be quite easy to get it up to 240hp with a couple changes on the 2.5. Personally, I think the MS3 should stay a turbocharged car but I doubt that'll ever happen.

The rumor I've been reading is that the Veloster turbo will be getting a 7 speed DCT for 2014, which could bode well for improving mpg's then there's also the rumored power increase for the 1.6T. Possibly to differentiate the Veloster Turbo from the Forte SX if it proves true. Both could happen though seeing as they launched the Equus full size luxury sedan with the tau 4.6 V8 and 6AT then the next year switch to the 5 liter and 8AT

With a higher redline and some cam adjustments they could probably get 230 HP without loosing much torque, if any. If they're going to go that route they shouldn't sacrifice torque for HP, otherwise it'll fell underpowered except when the engine is up in the higher revs. It'll be similar to the character of the old Civic Si 2.0L, but Honda's mistake with that was to sacrifice too much low-end torque, and it felt like a dog in normal driving. Mazda can do much better, so long as they learn from Honda's mistake.

I'm torn on whether Mazda should start selling that transmission to these people that don't seem to know how to design one, or keep it as one of their big advantages. :) I'd love to see it in a Mazdaspeed3 though, and the nice part about going with a high-revving engine, is that you don't have to beef up the transmission to handle extra torque: with the high-rev profile you can add HP without adding torque. They could use the existing SkyActiv-Drive and SkyActiv-MT, which are already excellent transmissions.

Back