Can I use 5w-30 instead?

giswong

I am going to change engine oil on my 09 cx-9. The 5w-20 is the one on the manual, but I just cannot find it in auto stores nearby. May I use 5w-30 full synthetic?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ THIS WILL HELP YOU OUT MY FRIEND,,,personally i dont think it will harm your car, if anything it provides more protection for your internals,,,but idk im new to the mazda game, but that link is the ultimate source of oil and oil weight education

I used Mobile One 15w50 in my Passat up to 100k before I sold it. The engine ran like new at 100k. I just don't know enough about Ford engines to feel comfortable experimenting.

I use 5W30 as well. The thing is that manufacturer use 5w20 to improve mpg rating, not trying to protect your investment.

What grade of oil to use depends on where you operate the CX9, and what is your priority (MPG or protection).
IN CA, you can pretty mush use from 5/10 w 20-30 w/o any issues.
If you live in colder weather or in desert heat, you need to change to proper grade (see Wikipedia for more details)

Not a problem

I just changed with Motorcraft 5w20 Semi and a FL400s filter - because they were the cheapest combo at Wally World. Just change it.

Any oil that meets the API category classification is fine. Hell, even house brand 10w30 is fine for 5-7,000 miles.
The viscocity is only important if you live in freezing weather. 5w is going to flow faster than 10w if it is cold.
The fuel mileage gain from the 5w20 is negated by all the junk my wife and kids leave in the car, so I don't really worry.

I would not have any problem running 15w40 if that is all I could find.

5w-30 would be just fine to use. I suggest full synthetic if you do. But I see no harm in using this. It's not a drastic step from say 5w-20 to 10W-60. Your MPG's may drop slightly but not much I am sure. I don't see a full synthetic expanding any tolerances in the motor. So go for it. But that said a full synthetic 5w-20 will give the same if not better protection than a 5w-30 standard oil or even semi.

I used Mobile One Synth 15/50 in my VR6 Passat for about 85k until I sold it at 100k miles, and the engine ran like a top until the day I sold it...it was just everything else on that stupid car that fell apart. (water pump, water neck, thermo, coil pack, motor mounts, window regulator, clutch, welding on clutch pedal failing, door handles, door latches, cat converter, 02 sensor, a/c, etc etc)

Just saying, textbook oil for that car was like 5/30 or 10/30 or something.

I agree that 5w-30 is not a big move from 5w-20 and it should be fine. However would not putting the recommended oil give you issues with warranty in the future if something fails with the engine?

I agree. Stick with 5w-20 until warranty is up. No need for any argument from dealer. They will for sure decline any warranty claim if 5w-30 is used.

If you want to be on the conservative side with warranty claim,
you should stick with 5w20 and keep the same oil change schedule as in OM even if you
are using synthetic (which kind of defeats the purpose since we don't race CX9s
on track).

I use it. I use Pentosin High 100% synthetic 5w-30 from Germany. The engine runs much smoother, quitter and better IMO than 5w-20 Synthetic. No reason you cannot use it. I don't have that valve clatter at first start up anymore.

If you plan to keep your CX9 for many years to come, using synthetic oil is good investment.
Especially if your CX9 is out of powertrain warranty, you can change to 10K oil change schedule
to offset the cost of oil (and save your time also).

Just had my oil changed at the dealer and they used Mazda's 0w-20 full synthetic. First impression is that it appears to run quieter and smoother.

Just had my oil changed at the dealer and they used Mazda's 0w-20 full synthetic. First impression is that it appears to run quieter and smoother.

It is probably just the new oil, not because it is synthetic.
I feel the same way every time my dirty dyno oil was replaced with new dyno oil.

Back