Cabin noise reduced in 2020s?

Speaking of cabin noise; the other day I was crawling around under my (new to me) CX-5 and I noticed that the whole bottom is covered in this really wild cardboard type of product. Bolted everywhere even in the wheel arches. I have never seen anything like that in my life! Wild stuff but it seems to keep the noise in the cabin down. I worry that in the long term that moister will get trapped behind this board stuff and cause rust behind it. Has anyone seen that in high mile Mazdas?
Interesting observation that would be great as its own topic. Let’s keep this thread about the question asked by @Luke Thomas :)

I can't speak to the actual difference in cabin noise levels, but Mazda did take steps in 2020 to improve noise isolation. I believe it involves different windshield and side glass material.

Of course, they then insisted on increasing using the "engine harmonics enhancer" (fake engine noise) for 2020 models.

My 2020 have the same cabin noise as my brothers 2017,- when i drive with open windows 😆 😆
In fact, 2020 is significantly quieter in the cabin compared to 2017.

Last edited:
If they did, it was money not well spent. Our 2019 is extremely quiet inside with the windows closed. Open just a rear window, though... :eek:

According to "MotorBiscuit" (?) I guess they have.

"Another significant change to the 2020 Mazda CX-5 is that it has reduced noise levels for all models. Deputy program manager for the CX-5, Kiyoshi Hayashi, envisioned the next generation of the CX-5 series to be much quieter. To achieve such a feat, Hayashi and his team of engineers worked tirelessly to enhance the performance of the Mazda CX-5. His team made the engines more precise and stable to keep noise levels at a minimum and reduced overall vibration throughout the vehicle."

OP, are you asking because you think the 2019 is too noisy? That said, I would guess a "new" vehicle would be quieter than a "used" vehicle for any brand, or model.

Not much louder. I test drove a 2018 Mazda 6 Signature and it was pretty darned quiet. Wouldn’t be a factor for me personally between used and new.

They added oil filled dampers or bushings and changed steering wheel rack mounting on the Mazda6 Turbo models to offer better NVH. Not sure if it made it to the CX-5?

The acoustically laminated glass was originally only for the grand touring trim in '17. I think this year they made it standard on the CX-5 regardless of trim.

My understanding is all 2017+ CX-5 have laminated windshield and front glass, along with the underbody panel covers and double door seals as measures to reduce wind noise. My 2019 Sport AWD is marked with Lamisafe branded glass.

Yes, acoustic glass is used on windshield and front windows since 2017 gen-2 CX-5 on all trims.

When I traded up from a 2015 to the 2017 CX-5, it was evident they had worked on noise reduction. Haven't heard what, if any, improvements were made in the 2020. My '17 came off lease last spring so decided to buy it.

I looked at the 2020s but the only feature I saw which was an upgrade were the lighted interior window buttons. Didn't want the turbo so I stuck with my '17 which only had 15k miles.

Elsewhere it was noted by someone, I can't recall whom or where, that the door weather stripping was beefed for sound deading. Can't recall if that was in mid-2019 or for 2020. It is pretty chunky, thicker than on my Sienna. It took me a while to get used to giving the door a firmer shove closed than I'm used to. The battery saver function saved me--turns off the interior lights automatically if the door is left ajar.

I can't compare to prior models but the 2020 Touring with the 2.5L normal aspirated engine, 17" rims and the OEM Yoko Geolanders is pretty quiet at cruising speed while retaining a pleasant engine growl/exhaust note when putting the pedal down. Cabin noise is a highlight of daily driveability in my opinion.

Quiteness may or may not be affected by the turbo, the 19" rims and the tires in the upper trim lines but I can't speak to that.

Consumer reports noted a quieter cabin in 2020 vs. 2019, but that 2019 they tested might have been prior to a mid-year upgrade if that was in fact the case.
This is interesting. I would love to find where this is documented.

I have a 19 GT-R that was built later 2018.

my wife just got a 20 GT that was built in July 2020.

There is a noticeable difference between the 2 when closing the front doors. The 20 is more solid and has less of a hollow thud sound. Also take a bit more force to close. This supports what you’re saying.

The acoustically laminated glass was originally only for the grand touring trim in '17. I think this year they made it standard on the CX-5 regardless of trim.
This is interesting. I would love to find where this is documented.

I have a 19 GT-R that was built later 2018.

my wife just got a 20 GT that was built in July 2020.

There is a noticeable difference between the 2 when closing the front doors. The 20 is more solid and has less of a hollow thud sound. Also take a bit more force to close. This supports what you’re saying.
obviously u like the cx5. I’m just figuring out what year to buy

Back