Bye Mazda 2017 CX-5 Touring AWD

I came to Mazda from Honda because their quality has gone downhill. I still own 3 Hondas though. Op, did you get Honda Care? If you haven't and were still thinking about it, you can get it online for 1/3 to 1/2 of what your dealer probably offered you.

I came to Mazda from Honda because their quality has gone downhill. I still own 3 Hondas though. Op, did you get Honda Care? If you haven't and were still thinking about it, you can get it online for 1/3 to 1/2 of what your dealer probably offered you.

Yup. Mazda’s are getting better, Honda’s are getting worse.

LOL

Folks, invest $20 in a basic OBD II scanner so you can check the codes the CEL is throwing and have some idea of what's wrong BEFORE you take it to a mechanic.

Very good advice. These are absolutely an essential glovebox item, whether you have zero mechanical knowledge or are an expert.

Very good advice. These are absolutely an essential glovebox item, whether you have zero mechanical knowledge or are an expert.
I don't necessarily agree with this.

Auto parts stores are on nearly every corner in the US.
They will read codes and give you a printout of everything that shows up.

Did your mechanic ever do a compression test?
Sounds like this should have been one of the first things done given the burnt valve diagnosis.
Also, why did he replace the fuel injection system if there's a bad valve?
I have to agree with some of the other posters. Get another mechanic that understands the basics.

Sad story but at least you've got a new car. I've become a bit sceptical about the longevity of these petrol engines though I know there a lot of loyal fans on here.

Did you ever have the air intake valves and air intake manifold cleaned or inspected whilst you owned it?

Sorry and I forgot to mention a key issue that was diagnosed and found by my mechanic is that I had a engine misfire on 1 of the 4 cylinders.

Basically this is very similar to my problem in this video:

First off thanks for this video. Saved to my favorites for Skyactiv troubleshooting. That said the vid provided a way to identify the issue between 8 possible culprits (4 spark plugs and 4 coil packs.) Cool trick. Oh and that car had original plugs well past 100k miles!! Recommended change is at 70-75k ish miles.

In your situation, the first question I had, why the heck is the fuel injection system changed? I would've just changed the spark plugs since it was near that time anyways and then clear the codes with my $20 bluetooth scanner. Second question is WHAT kind of spark plugs did the mechanic use? Using non OEM or any non-approved spark plugs at least will still cause issues.

Real life experience: I had check engine light go out in my Mazda6 at I think 30k miles. What the heck? Long story short after pulling my plugs to inspect (looks new) I though ok maybe a coil pack? I had just done an oil change the day before. It turned out I forgot to put the oil dipstick back causing a vacuum leak!!! I installed properly and cleared the codes. No check light issues returned and I'm at 70k miles.

Latest posts

Back