Buying advice

Cleverfrog

Binford Tools
Contributor
:
1989 RX-7 GXL Blaze Red
Driving down a back country road I spotted a black FC. Not sure what year. I'm looking for a project car and the FC body style is one of my favorites. I'm looking for what I should be on the lookout for in terms of what should turn me away from the car. Major issues and such. Not too worried about some things because, it will be a project car. Also, what would be a good price. Next time I drive by it I will snap some pictures. All help is greatly appreciated.

edit: It's a 91

Last edited:
On a car that old check for rust in the rear quarters, and the drain holes for the rear hatch rot if you don't keep them clear,same can be said for the sunroof (you didn't say if it had one). on the fc's electrical can be on the iffy side they have had problems with cold solder joints that will break, so make sure everything works: pwr windows, mirrors,wipers,head lights,ect.
The sincros in the trans could be bad so take the car for a good drive. with the motor cold it will rev to 2500 rpm as soon as you start it that is normal for that car ,check for smoke when starting it cold. thats all I have for you right now.

The motor is prob the biggest concern w/ any rx7...if it ain't already runnin you might have to rebuild it or replace vital internals

Back