Broken outer door panel trim

Hi all. The lower plastic panel from the outer door skin was ripped off my car in a car park. The white plastic retaining clips are still stuck the metal of the door. I don’t want to damage anything can I safely remove and reuse them once attached back onto the plastic door panel?

Or do I need to replace the whole panel? With the lock down the Mazda dealers are closed.
Thanks gang
c

Last edited:
33DCD9FE-A448-484E-A1E4-EB0142655C8C.jpeg

as attached

A new panel from the dealership will more than likely come with new clips already attached.

The plastic tabs are easy to remove with a plastic trim tool but probably better to leave them in place until you have your replacement trim piece.

From the look of them, you may well be able just to slide the new panel onto the existing clips.

I think they will break pulling them out and you will need new ones. It looks like they attach to the trim by inserting and turning 90 degrees.
How did it get pulled off? Did a chimpanzee want it?

It's way easier to apply the new panel with the clips attached to the new panel them snapping them into place on the vehicle. The clips do break but can be removed safely especially when it is warm.

Mazda is pretty good at providing the new panel with clips already installed with what I've seen before.

I found some door panel clips at a parts store but they weren't white and they were meant for Toyota. I guess they are the same size. Auto parts stores stock quite a few sizes but they may not want to spend much time helping sort out which ones you need.

Any idea what the panel would cost? Or buy new clips?
As I said, you can probably reuse the clips and just slide on a new panel.

I know that my daughters Civic worked like that. I had to remove the plastic trim over the rocker panel at one point... there was a screw (or clip, maybe) that stopped the panel from sliding and that had to be undone, then you just jerked it sideways and the slots at the back of the panel slid off the clips.

From looking at your pic, I'd wager that's the exact same mechanism at play there.

Back