Bought a used CX-5 and there's mesh in front of radiator?!

:
-- 2016 CX5 GS
It's just before the radiator tucked under the front grille,

I'm assuming it's meant to catch debris or bugs,...
is that even a good / bad idea, should I remove it ?

Feels soft, so I don't think it will even do what I think someone thought it would do ...

Thanks!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 246
I would leave it especially if you drive in arears where Love Buggs are.

I would leave it especially if you drive in arears where Love Buggs are.

I don't think we get a lot of those in Alberta, Canada, however
there's plenty of bugs when driving on the highway :)

I was just thinking as long as it doesn't restrict airflow but it shouldn't from the looks of it ...

Just watch that it doesn't get plugged up with snow & ice.

Yeah, it could be a window screen, you might be right.
I really don't know if I like it there to be honest :)

I’d probably remove it and replace with something else if road debris is a concern. I added a mesh protector to the lower portion of my ‘19 RAV4 but it’s sturdy plastic with much wider gaps. Why? To protect the coil from rocks. There were a few reports of damage resulting in refrigerant loss for this model.

I owned several FedEx Ground trucks and used window screen like that to protect the radiators. Only difference was I sprayed the material with black paint so you couldn't see it. Looking at the bugs and rock dents after a short amount of time made me glad it was there.

I've been looking for an aftermarket version of this idea that could be easily installed on the CX-5 but haven't found anything yet. I'll probably end up making my own when I find the motivation.

I put this on my 2013 and 2016.

I've been thinking of doing this but using gutter guard, I think I'll do what mantra7 did and spray it with black spray paint first. I live in Florida and don't want my condenser plastered with love bugs and dented by rocks. I can do alot of automotive repairs but AC work and opening up the lines requires equipment I don't have.

Last edited:
Back