Boring Daily Build

I don't quite know what you mean but our car has speed sensitive steering.

The faster you go the less power assist you have.

Is there slack in your steering?

No slack and the fastest I've gone was 70 maybe 75 and that was only once on the highway so not turning. Happens at any speed, although on average I've been at 35-50 mph. I can get a video next time I drive but like a normal car will straighten out when you let go of the steering wheel but the Mazda stays exactly where I put it. I know a dragging caliper will pull, although I wouldn't describe it as pulling, but maybe the worn pad is causing some variation of that.

All I can think of is a worn and binding steering rack, tie rod ends or ball joints.

If it relates to the problem I described when turning left, which I think may be the steering rack, then I'll leave it alone until I've got money burning a hole in my pocket and I feel like replacing that.

Well it was clean for a day...
IMG_1345.jpg
IMG_1347.jpg
IMG_1348.jpg

If it relates to the problem I described when turning left, which I think maybe the steering rack...

Maybe lift the front end and see if you feel any notchiness when you steer it left.

You might be able to see or feel it.

It was on jack stands when I turned it left and noticed the issue, but I didn't have someone come steer while I was under it. I'll have someone help when it's lifted up to do the brakes this weekend.

Maybe a mechanics stethoscope or a long screwdriver pressed up against your ear might help to pinpoint the source of the clunk.

I'm worried that you might have a damaged tooth from the impact of hitting the curb.

That's my suspicion.
No noticeable clunks just hard to steer left or right until I've passed center and no self steer

He was probably driving straight when he hit the curb so the center teeth would take the hit.

It might end up being something you learn to live with.
You've got bigger fish to fry. (smoked fish actually. Lol)

Oh, ... I don't know if I mentioned that the speed-sensitive steering operates by reducing the power assist as the vehicle speed increases. (it's not a mechanical thing.)

Judging by the gash in the wheel it looks like he tried to turn but slide into the median and the passenger side tire was caked in mud but that could've just been from pulling on the side of the road to wait for a tow.

I don't particularly feel like replacing the steering rack lol.

Yeah, you mentioned that. Not having self steer is more bothersome than just being hard to turn left, which isn't too noticeable when driving.

Brake pads and rotors are here, I plan to get them on today. When I was greasing the slide pins, one of the caliper pistons didn't want to budge with a huge c-clamp so hopefully I don't end up needing calipers...

You're going to have to push in the brake piston to make room for the new (thicker) pads.

Well this is where I’m at. The piston doesn’t want to go any further than that. Is this something wd-40 or opening the bleeder will help?
image.jpg
image.jpg

The piston is probably rusty and will no longer fit back into the bore.

Use a dental pick or tiny screwdriver to pull back the dust boot and check the condition of the piston.

It looks like your dust boot is torn and probably let water in.

You may be able to extend the piston out and sand the rust off (don't pop it right out or you'll have to bleed your brakes) but that's not the best idea and the seal may leak at that spot that was rusty when it's fully retracted.

You can rotate your piston to inspect it and maybe clean it.

Back