Boring Daily Build

I didn't notice the lack of brake material. Lol

The springs are supposed to help back off the pads so they don't drag after you release the brake and possibly help stop any rattling or noise.

I don't think they do too much.
There's so little spring tension I don't see how they can back off the brakes.

Perhaps they're just anti-rattle springs?

So it looks like you're going to be buying new pads and maybe rotors too.

Get the hardware kit along with them.
It's pretty cheap.

Yeah I’ll see what rockauto has to offer when I get inside. Gonna need rotors too, they’re scored badly and have heat spots. Just the front. I’ll leave the back alone, pads look new.
image.jpg

All corners are greased up. Rear was quite simple. I think the pass. rear brake line was replaced, which would explain why the caliper, rotor, and wheel hub are so rusty on that side. I had to get the grinder out to cut those clamps off the exhaust, hopefully that was the rattle.

While it was on jackstands I looked to see make sure the wheel wasn't hitting anything while turning, because while driving its clear something is wrong with the steering. It not hitting anything but if I turn the steering wheel left it's like I don't have power steering until I get centered again. Turning right, once I've passed center, is normal and feels fine. Not sure if this is the steering rack or what.

Also, I washed it today. I only polished the hood and then decided it was too hot. I'll post some pictures.
IMG_1291.jpg
IMG_1295.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1283.jpg
    IMG_1283.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1293.jpg
    IMG_1293.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Yeah, that's a good deal.

I bought my hardware and pads separately.

We just had a huge thunderstorm with hail the size of grapes.
I'll check my car for dents in the morning.

Rotors are the pricey part. I'll probably go with "economy"

If only the rotors and pads were the same as a 2014 civic lol, I've got a full brake kit for one.

I'm not sure but RockAuto is pretty good at sending the right parts.
If you found it listed for a Protege5 then it will most likely fit.

You might want to stock up on a few things like oil filters, air filters, spark plugs, wiper blades, light bulbs. Etc etc.

If it ships from the same place there will be little or no extra shipping cost.

You might want to stock up on a few things like oil filters, air filters, spark plugs, wiper blades, light bulbs. Etc etc.
Yeah, I take advantage of that whenever I can. I've got three rear wipers for my Jeep and one driver's wiper for the Mazda.

I priced that out aswell and it ended up costing about $10 more.

I wonder how sil-glyde compares to this stuff. I've never used either and prices are comparable.
80653__ra_p.jpg

I've never used it but it is silicone grease which I think is the main thing.

Cool!
It is kinda fun buying car parts even if they aren't "performance parts".

Yeah, this was more enjoyable than the two cheapo solenoids I ordered even though it was more money lol.

I just went for a little spin and the rattle is gone, the rear brakes don't seem to be dragging, parking brake seams to at least do something, and FR sounds terrible due to having no pad left.

Another problem I noticed that I'm not sure if I've posted about, but the car has no self-steer. It's like steering cruise control lol, if I turn the steering wheel it goes that direction until I correct it. Maybe the worn pad is causing that, we'll see.

Back