Boosting my Protege5. Where do I connect oil and water lines?

Champloo12

:
Mazda Protege5
Where can I connect the oil feed and return lines on my protege5? I can take the oil pan off a MSP and use that but I don't know where the lines connect too. I thinkI can see it from underneath the car but I can't reach it. Do I need to remove my throttle body? If anyone has any pictures I would really appreciate it! Thank you!

sorry, was out all day and didnt get your message til late.

remove your intake manifold. remove he line from the t fitting, which will make it possible to remove the t fitting. it has to go into the other block int he same orientation cause the t fitting has different style threads i think. dont take the pressure sender off, just swap the take the whole sender/t to your p5. its right in the middle of the backside of the block so pretty obvious.
the coolant feed comes from right above the oil filter location.. you can pull the oil cooler stud from your msp, or just source a barbed/banjo fitting. i think the bolt that plugs the block is 17mm but if you have a tap and die set, just figure out what it is.

i didn't transfer the oil cooler cause i couldn't get the long stud out. so i just jumped the barb on the stock msp coolant feed back into the heater hose that it normally goes to without a load. PROB not idea.. so if you can just remove the stock hard line with new fittings and a soft line around the block, prob best. just take pics of how the msp is and copy it when assembling the p5, pretty easy.
dont disassemble the hardlines from the turbo though.. those are kind of a pita to reassemble later. getting the coolant banjos tight enough and having the lines facing the right way. but that might have just been a side effect of clocking my turbo downward.

Ok, so I made all my connections successfully. No leaking from coolant or oil. So we attached everything, i put new oil in and got the 85 octane out as best as I could and then added premium. Went to start the car and it started but then died immediately. Kept cranking the car and still it just starts and dies. Any idea what I can do to get the car running? Thanks!

Check the basics - air, fuel, spark. Also, make sure the sensors are all plugged in as mentioned above. And make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks.

I disconnected the MAF and started it with my foot halfway on the gas and it ran at 4000rpm but sounded horrible so I cut it off after about 10 seconds. The car was putting out a lot of smoke out of the exhaust and it smelled like gas. I plugged the MAF back in and then it just started and died instantly again. The maybe its something with the intake? I'm going to check for vacuum leaks next and if I find any I'll try and fix them.

I checked the sensors and all of the hoses are plugged in except one that goes to this sensor in the passenger side corner of the engine bay.

As you found out, the engine won't run without the MAF properly connected. There cannot be any air entering the engine that doesn't pass through the MAF first, or it will run like s***.

Definitely fair enough.

I read it was the barometric pressure sensor. Just couldn't find where it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe the oil pressure and knock sensors both plug in that area, as well as the intake solenoids, and the cruise control actuator.

I got it started! I checked for vacuum leaks using the smoke test. Didn't have a machine so I just bought a cigar and blew into the hose. We found 2 leaks from tubes we forgot to clamp and found out where the hose needed to go. Using the smoke we actually figured out why she wasn't running though. When we took the fuel rod off, one of the little black rings on a purple injector fell off and there wasn't a seal into the IM. Once we got the ring back on it and had a nice seal she started! Thanks for all the help guys!

But there is always something.

I let the car idle for a little bit and then the idle started to drop gradually. Then smoke started coming out from under the turbo manifold. I turned the car off and tried to look for a leak and I think maybe the turbo is leaking? I don't know if the coolant I added is circulating and cooling off anything? So I'm going to keep he in the garage until I can sort it out.

Again guys thank you. You're all invaluable resources.

I got it started! I checked for vacuum leaks using the smoke test. Didn't have a machine so I just bought a cigar and blew into the hose. We found 2 leaks from tubes we forgot to clamp and found out where the hose needed to go. Using the smoke we actually figured out why she wasn't running though. When we took the fuel rod off, one of the little black rings on a purple injector fell off and there wasn't a seal into the IM. Once we got the ring back on it and had a nice seal she started! Thanks for all the help guys!

But there is always something.

I let the car idle for a little bit and then the idle started to drop gradually. Then smoke started coming out from under the turbo manifold. I turned the car off and tried to look for a leak and I think maybe the turbo is leaking? I don't know if the coolant I added is circulating and cooling off anything? So I'm going to keep he in the garage until I can sort it out.

Again guys thank you. You're all invaluable resources.

Glad to hear you got it running. As far as the smoking, I had a similar issue when I turboed my MP3 the first time. It turns out the oil wasn't draining fast enough out of the turbo and back to the oil pan(had a smaller diameter hydraulic hose come with the kit). I got a true diameter AN-10 drain line in the proper length and that fixed that issue.

Where are you getting your coolant feed and return from for the turbo? Although that shouldn't cause it to smoke - as far as I am aware the coolant is there in the turbo mainly to prevent the oil from coking in the turbo.

Back