Boken Exhaust manifold bolt!

jerseymods

:
2003.5 Titanium Grey MSP
Unfortunately today while tightening up my exhaust mani bolts I got a little to comfortable with one that felt really loose and just kept torquing it down. This resulted in me completely braking off the bolt head while having the treading of the bolts stuck inside of the block head. As of right now I do have a buddy with an msp who has an exhaust exhaust mani bolt, but at this point im just going to take it to the mechanic so they can extract the bolt. Really sucks, I just hope they dont overcharge me for this. If it was warmer outside in jersey I would tackle this job myself, but we are just getting into the 20 degrees mark over here.

awww come on, your not an msp owner til your missing AT LEAST two bolts.. i wouldnt worry about it to excess. just pull the mani off one day and pull the bolt. there is prob still enough of it there to get it out with a good set of vice grips.

awww come on, your not an msp owner til your missing AT LEAST two bolts.. i wouldnt worry about it to excess. just pull the mani off one day and pull the bolt. there is prob still enough of it there to get it out with a good set of vice grips.
How long you think it will take to pull off?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

im sure you could pull it off in a couple hours. drain the coolant, unhook the soft lines from the coolant bypass ect on thblock, unhook the turbo oil return from the block, you should be able to move the manifold with turbo and everything attached and stick it somewhere without disconnecting the oil feed line. if you have never done it before it seems like a lot to move around but protege is pretty simple to work on.

oh, i should add the removing the radiator makes things a ton easier but watch out for the condensor.

im sure you could pull it off in a couple hours. drain the coolant, unhook the soft lines from the coolant bypass ect on thblock, unhook the turbo oil return from the block, you should be able to move the manifold with turbo and everything attached and stick it somewhere without disconnecting the oil feed line. if you have never done it before it seems like a lot to move around but protege is pretty simple to work on.

oh, i should add the removing the radiator makes things a ton easier but watch out for the condensor.
It's sounds feasible. Damn if it wasn't 20 degrees out I would start now!

that, or spend a couple hundred bux. your call. i dunno about you, but i dont make $85/hr lol

Ended up having mechanic do the work. They replaced all bolts/studs and gasket. There was a leak coming from exhaust mani apparently, but still didn't solve the P0171 code. Brought in the car again and they rand a diagnostic on the throttle body with one of there snap-on diag scanner tools and they said it looked like someone messed with the throttle body. The scanner spoke about something with the bore size and that it might need to be replaced. The mechanic said he adjusted the screw on the throttle body and that fixed my idle for a few hrs, but continued to still drop sporadically. I have already replaced coil packs, plug wires, spark plugs, cleaned egr, iac, and tested MAF. I even replaced some vac lines with silicone, but not all. I don't really know where to move forward from this point. I dont really think replacing the throttle body would fix the issue, but maybe it can. I am not a mechanic but I do trust the shop I go to;I just don't think that's the real source of the problem

90 percent of the time its a breach in you intake system or vac... start from the intake filter and inspect everything with a flashlight

Have you checked your vacuum? It sounds like a leak somewhere. It isn't always a disconnected hose. Last time it happened to me it was bad injector seals.

An exhaust manifold that is not flush against the head of loose will cause a p0171 lean code. It's happened to me before. The manifolds also crack. Try running some sea foam through the intake and look for a white smoke leak.

I've broken 3 bolts off in my head and never had to pull it. A little carb cleaner or similar lubricant, needle nose pliers, and sometimes a piece of silicon hose that fits over the end of the bolt will get it out. Once I had to drill it out into a larger hole and then rethread it with a helicoil kit. Worked great. Just fyi in case it happens again.

Have you checked your vacuum? It sounds like a leak somewhere. It isn't always a disconnected hose. Last time it happened to me it was bad injector seals.

An exhaust manifold that is not flush against the head of loose will cause a p0171 lean code. It's happened to me before. The manifolds also crack. Try running some sea foam through the intake and look for a white smoke leak.

I've broken 3 bolts off in my head and never had to pull it. A little carb cleaner or similar lubricant, needle nose pliers, and sometimes a piece of silicon hose that fits over the end of the bolt will get it out. Once I had to drill it out into a larger hole and then rethread it with a helicoil kit. Worked great. Just fyi in case it happens again.
I actually had all my exhaust manifold bolts and gaskets replaced. So this is still occurring after I repaired that. You could be right about the injector seals haven't checks that really yet.

Yo Angel you still fighting this? I have a broken manifold bolt as well and it hasnt been throwing the code so ive just been leaving it alone till springish to do myself and install the pope mani i got. But i think i actually did have that code at one point but replaced gaskets/ WG and it went away. LMK if that shopped charged you a reasonable price though and didnt know you had a 6p lol
You checked for cracks as well on the mani? I have an extra stock uncracked

Yo Angel you still fighting this? I have a broken manifold bolt as well and it hasnt been throwing the code so ive just been leaving it alone till springish to do myself and install the pope mani i got. But i think i actually did have that code at one point but replaced gaskets/ WG and it went away. LMK if that shopped charged you a reasonable price though and didnt know you had a 6p lol
You checked for cracks as well on the mani? I have an extra stock uncracked
I am still trying to figure out where the leak is yes. Car is heading back to the shop tomorrow morning. They have a feeling it's my throttle body, but I think otherwise.

So I brought the car in just to have the mechanic shop deal with finding the culprit to my CEL P0171 code. They scan the car with their scanner and them gave me the testing and inspection sheet for this code. As im going through it everything on it I have found through the internet. Now I trust them enough to do it and fix the issue, butI can probably save a lot more money to continue to trouble shoot the issue myself. So far I have done some of these things on the inspection sheet. I have uploaded a scanned pdf version of what the shop gave me just for anyone who is curious.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bya9QwL3kJlxdWRLNEp1dkdJOWs/view?usp=sharing

Back