Bluetooth disconnects and reconnects during phone calls

nizzy1115

:
2013 CX-5 Sport
First issue with my CX-5. Using droid2. Had no issues with this on my mazda3 gt. My phone works fine for about 20 seconds, then disconnects for a second or 2 and then is fine for another 10-20 seconds and disconnects again. It is very annoying and I cannot hold a conversation over bluetooth with this issue. Has anyone else had any similar issues?

I want to add that I can stream bluetooth audio with no disconnects, it only does it for phone calls.

Last edited:
Not sure what the issue is here. I've had no issues at all. Can I suggest a reboot?

Bluetooth music plays well for me too, but I get stutters after a period of playing. For this reason I connect my phone (an iPhone) into the USB and play from there.
But phone hasn't posed an issue.

I thought l was the only one in the world with this same problem.....and from your post, the very same problem, right down to the seconds.
I replaced my phone to get the same problem, tried all different verifications such as loading and not loading phonebooks etc etc. Even went back to the Mazda dealership and played with the system in another vehicle (CX-5)
What l can tell you is that l have discovered over the weekend that it only seems to happen when the engine is running, and not when l am parked and the "ignition" is just turned on. Have you found this as well??
Please let me know how you go, as l am starting to pull my hair out.
Note that l am returning to the dealership tomorrow (30/04) to go over my findings. They of course are saying that it is the phone however "mazdahandsfree.com.au" says that my phone (Motorola Defy+) is completely ok ???

Happy that l am not alone with this problem

cheers

I need to play around with it more. I was thinking to try turning off the hd radio for the phone call. I notice mine goes in and out a lot.

I replaced my phone to get the same problem, tried all different verifications such as loading and not loading phonebooks etc etc. Even went back to the Mazda dealership and played with the system in another vehicle (CX-5)

Pork on Fork (great name by the way), have your tried other phone brands?

I'm interested to see what you find out pork. I am having the same issue. Mazda site says my phone is ok (Droid X). My wife has the same phone and hers does it as well, so I was thinking it was the model. But it looks like others are having the same issue with different models.

******UPDATE *****

Mazda (Mazdahandsfree) have admitted that the testing for Bluetooth connectivity for the CX-5 models was based on firmware that is not available in Australia, only Europe.
This come about during the week when l was advised by Mazda to upgrade my phone to the latest firmware which mazda stated was 45.0.2310 Puzzled, l checked my phone which had the latest firmware being 45.0.1321 (Andriod 2.3.6).

I then got another call from the Mazda dealership saying that when they realised that 45.0.2310 was not the Australian firmware, Mazdahandsfree had installed their "test unit" with 45.0.1321 (Andriod 2.3.6) and was able to replicate the same problem.

Stay tuned....... Hope this helps others with the same problem

Porkonfork...:)

I started noticing this yesterday and today. Initially I thought it was my phone, but reading the comments here, looks like it's a significant issue. Will be contacting my dealership over the weekend to figure out what's going on.

******UPDATE *****

Mazda (Mazdahandsfree) have admitted that the testing for Bluetooth connectivity for the CX-5 models was based on firmware that is not available in Australia, only Europe.
This come about during the week when l was advised by Mazda to upgrade my phone to the latest firmware which mazda stated was 45.0.2310 Puzzled, l checked my phone which had the latest firmware being 45.0.1321 (Andriod 2.3.6).

I then got another call from the Mazda dealership saying that when they realised that 45.0.2310 was not the Australian firmware, Mazdahandsfree had installed their "test unit" with 45.0.1321 (Andriod 2.3.6) and was able to replicate the same problem.

Stay tuned....... Hope this helps others with the same problem

Porkonfork...:)

Awesome I hope they pass this for the states too. I'm on Firmware 4.5.621.A955 (droid2) and android version 2.3.4.

Hopefully they come up with a solution. But since the system was designed around firmware available in Europe, the only fix would be a firmware upgrade in the head unit, if thats possible. Makes me wonder what other phone models listed as working will not work.

Thanks for putting in the research, Pork!!

I was informed by Mazdahandsfree to trial a config change to the phone. However, l have not had much time in the car the last few days so it would be good for you guys to try this as well.

Mazdahandsfree said to 1. Turn off your WiFi (on the phone) whilst in the car, and 2. Turn off "mobile hotspot" (on the phone) if you indeed have this enabled.

So far this config seems to work, although l am reluntant to give Mazdahandsfree the thumbs up until l have given it a good go. But the early signs are looking good.

Why this is happening ??? Not sure at this stage? Must be a conflict between the andriod phone and the mazda cx-5 bluetooth main unit.

So please check out this and lets see if indeed Mazdahandsfree may have fixed the problem

cheers

I was informed by Mazdahandsfree to trial a config change to the phone. However, l have not had much time in the car the last few days so it would be good for you guys to try this as well.

Mazdahandsfree said to 1. Turn off your WiFi (on the phone) whilst in the car, and 2. Turn off "mobile hotspot" (on the phone) if you indeed have this enabled.

So far this config seems to work, although l am reluntant to give Mazdahandsfree the thumbs up until l have given it a good go. But the early signs are looking good.

Why this is happening ??? Not sure at this stage? Must be a conflict between the andriod phone and the mazda cx-5 bluetooth main unit.

So please check out this and lets see if indeed Mazdahandsfree may have fixed the problem

cheers

This worked for me. I leave wifi enabled because I use it at home and the office. Hopefully this will not be their "fix" and they still employ a proper update to the cars computer. I cant remember to turn off wifi every time I want to make or receive a call.

Worked for me as well. 15 minute call with no drop out! Thanks for the info, pork.

thanks fo the info. I have been very frustrated with the same problem...can't wait to give it a try!
my wifes iphone seems to work fine....I've actually been thinking about switching just to have it work!

iPhone4 has worked fine for me in CX-5 since mid-March.

Wanted to add a helpful tip for those of you that have to turn off wifi to solve the BT issue- I have a Motorola Droid Razr.. there's a widget you can add to your screen that toggles the wifi on and off. This makes turning wifi off-on a snap without the need to dig through the phone's system setting menus.

I'm fairly certain that most Android OS have something like this widget even if you have a different phone maker.

Since my prior response to this post, my phone has upgraded to the latest Android OS- "Ice Cream Sandwich .". My phone doesn't have the Bluetooth issue any longer. I'm able to make calls without the Bluetooth connection cycling on and off nor do I need to turn wifi off.

Same thing has been happening to me with my Droid Razr Maxx with the Gingerbread OS and the latest Ice Cream Sandwich OS (Not listed as a supported phone). Everything on the phone works flawlessly except this issue.

Same has also occurred with my previous phone the Droid Bionic which MazdaUSA lists as 100% compatible.

I discovered the "Turn off WiFi" solution when I still had the Bionic. As long as I keep it turned off, both the Bionic and the Razr Maxx worked fine.

Prior to that, I had the HTC Incredible 2 running stock OS and Cyanogen Mod 7 and no issues with this whatsoever except that the ID3 tags didn't show on the car's head unit.

Hi. I am having the same issue with my 2015 CX 5 here in Ireland. Initially I thought it was my phone as I had recently changed to the iPhone 7, but it also happens on my wifes Samsung. I can connect to Bluetooth, play music etc without issue. The problem arises when I make or take calls. The call will start on Bluetooth OK, but then will switch to phone speaker and back to Bluetooth randomly. The phone will disappear of the screen on the car as if it has disconnected and reappear after about 10s.

Latest posts

Back