Blown head gasket for CX-5 Diesel

:
CX5 Akera 2.2 Diesel
There is an active recall on all earlier Mazda CX5 diesels in Australia.

Just go to the Mazda Au website and find the recalls page, and put your VIN number in and it will tell you if yours is covered. Or, contact your local Mazda dealer and they will help you.

I had the recall done on my Nov 2015 Akera a week ago, on my car it was simply a replacement of a fuel return hose, check and clean the intake shutter valve, and apply software updates.

The mechanic said that the work required is specific to ViN numbers and varies between vehicles. Some call for more extensive work than others.

Mazda will be writing to all affected owners shortly to advise of this recall if the vehicle is not taken to a dealer for servicing beforehand.

Last edited:
. Looks like Mazda Australia also offers free engine replacement even without warranty.
Do you know anywhere I can get more information to support this? I am a New Zealand victim of this problem (having suffered the well documented DPF problem last year at 110,000kms, 15,000kms later I blow a head gasket! To be told by Mazda that my car is outside the warranty period (2012 model) and really this is not such a low mileage to be complaining about just doesn't wash! (My 300,000 plus 25 year old Toyota doesn't have this problem.) I would love tpo support my arguments with solid evidence that Mazda are covering the problem in other countries.
[/QUOTE]
Hi Digby,
What was the outcome for your blown gasket? I am from NZ and going through the same issue as you. Blown head gasket has caused the engine to overheat, and they tell me I need to replace the whole engine (long block) at my cost.

:
2012 AWD DIESEL Sport
Do you know anywhere I can get more information to support this? I am a New Zealand victim of this problem (having suffered the well documented DPF problem last year at 110,000kms, 15,000kms later I blow a head gasket! To be told by Mazda that my car is outside the warranty period (2012 model) and really this is not such a low mileage to be complaining about just doesn't wash! (My 300,000 plus 25 year old Toyota doesn't have this problem.) I would love tpo support my arguments with solid evidence that Mazda are covering the problem in other countries.
Hi Digby,
What was the outcome for your blown gasket? I am from NZ and going through the same issue as you. Blown head gasket has caused the engine to overheat, and they tell me I need to replace the whole engine (long block) at my cost.
[/QUOTE]
Hi I am another victim to the head gasket issue. There is a facebook page in taiwan https://www.facebook.com/groups/cx5sos/ its all in Taiwanese but you can tzanlaste it on the page. Basically they protested about being sold Lemons . I am currently taking it up with a German Mazda dealer who sold me a car 18 months ago. They would of known of the problem when they sold it too me. So far normal response from them " tough get on with it " I won't be taking that as an acceptable response. I am going after their arses. Does anyone know of any legal action against Mazda ? UK or EU based ?

There is an active recall on all earlier Mazda CX5 diesels in Australia.

Just go to the Mazda Au website and find the recalls page, and put your VIN number in and it will tell you if yours is covered. Or, contact your local Mazda dealer and they will help you.

I had the recall done on my Nov 2015 Akera a week ago, on my car it was simply a replacement of a fuel return hose, check and clean the intake shutter valve, and apply software updates.

The mechanic said that the work required is specific to ViN numbers and varies between vehicles. Some call for more extensive work than others.

Mazda will be writing to all affected owners shortly to advise of this recall if the vehicle is not taken to a dealer for servicing beforehand.
I received this update together with the intake shutter valve service for my 2016.5 KE a few months ago. I noticed that it drives different, like there is less initial pull when you floor it, but it does feel a bit smoother.

I'm not familiar with the intake shutter valve and its connection to the combustion process. But from what I understand, excessive soot build-up in the combustion chamber can increase the compression ratio. In the long-run, it will cause head gasket failure and overheating.

Do you know anywhere I can get more information to support this?"

I have a 2014 Mazda and was ssleft at the side of the road suddenly no warning lights nothing just drop in speed ( which was very dramatic and dangerous on the fast lane of a motorway" - 2 months after getting a service with Mazda dealer - was told the head gasket was blown but no reason! Im in IRL.
Hi Jennifer

I have mazda 6 2.2 sport skyactive 2013, only 2 weeks ago same thing happened to me on the motorway. I've contacted mazda ireland and turns out there are 6 recalls on my car. I am also in Ireland. At the moment i have to pay for a diagnostic to be done so they can determine whether the failure was due to the fault or not. I would appreciate if you could share the details of your fault with me (I'll do the same with you) and perhaps we can use each others case to get our cars repaired.

Regards
[/QUOTE]

Hi Trevor,
I’m having the same problem in Ireland with my CX5, 2.2 engine. I’ve brought my car to my local garage and the Head Gasket seems to be the issue but diagnostic codes suggest a build up of carbon in the engine as per Mazda who I’ve contacted about the issue as it seems to be a recurring issue. They’ve been no help. I have 5 recalls on the car the last one being an issue with the intake shutter valve which from what I’ve read can cause a build up of carbon, however mazda don’t believe it’s related to the intake shutter valve. I’m currently waiting to get my car into a Mazda garage for further diagnostics. Have you had any luck with your case?

. Looks like Mazda Australia also offers free engine replacement even without warranty.
[/QUOTE]
Hi Digby, did Mazda sort out your blown head gasket?