Blown away Falken WildPeak A/T Trail 225/55/R19

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
Thru Tirerack, approx. 1500 miles.
  1. Commute: Each way 27 miles with Garden State Parkway (NJ) and then stop-and-go NY City. Experience: Tremendous. Quieter than Toyo (stock): Yes. Handling and braking - terrific.
  2. Rain/sleet: Recently witnessed. Absolutely at par with Michellins and BF Goodrich and Continental. Personally I found these are handling better in rain.
  3. Snow: Again we saw 4-in and was forced to take the vehicle. Till date out of all drives I have done across so many different tires these worked best. Perhaps because of the 3 peak symbol.
  4. I decided to do a run into Bear Mountain and dirt roads with considerable rocks and that too in freezing and snow conditions primarily because all brochures say can take and handle off-roading. Well - its true. The car drove like a champ. Zero slippage and where I thought it impossible it made thru, steep inclines. Kudos of course to Mazda's iActive suspension and other controls but these tires are a beast.
The best part - either side has different lettering. 1 embrossed like standard tires and the other 3D raised. I opted for the 3D raised side to be on the outside and already many commented on how aggressive the stance is. Especially when coupled with heavy sidewall protection (usually found in premium tires) it actually gives me considerable safety margin in curb side mishaps.

Only caveat - well the tires are heavy I think. Seem to be observing a dip of approx. 1 mpg to 1.5 mpg but again not sure as its true winter...

Thanks for the review. I was looking into swapping my tires soon. Did you keep the oem wheels?

Yeah. I don't care about wheels at all and the OEM wheels are very decent

Interesting that you got such good off-road performance AND they are quiet at highway speeds.

Any experience with aggressive handling on hard surface?

Just out of curiosity I took a look at them. For those who are interested, here's a link to the manufacturer's webpage on these tires, as well as their performance specs:

tires.jpg

You were spot-on regarding how these affect mileage.
I find it interesting that such an aggressive tread gets a rating of 4.5/5.0 for tread life.

Thanks for this post. I need new tires soon and the Wildpeak Trails for my my GT were intriguing me.

My surprise is the quietness of these tires! I was fully settled to accept these wont be quiet because of off road capabilities. Was very surprised to find how quiet they are. Remember i have 2016 and not Gen 2 CX5.
in terms of aggressive driving man i am inNJ ! Everywhere it’s bumper to bumper. But I suspect it will be good because when I encountered rain and later snow the tires were literally GLUED to the road.

First video the guy mentions that his stock Subaru tires were Yokohamas.

I didn't know that.

You pushed me over the edge of my wavering. I ordered the Falken's from Tirerack for my 2016 GT. They will be getting installed on Saturday.

How are these tires holding up? Very interested in these as my next set. I’m currently nearly 26k on the stock Toyos.

After almost 20,000 miles: update:

FANTASTIC. Still no road noise, recent (3 weeks back snow) ZERO slippage. FANTASTIC. The fuel mileage though ahem: got 22 avg when in winter (TOYO) used to get avg 23.

Well all I can say is this - when wet I have not seen any degradation from the earlier Toyo tires. Dry is dry but being a pandemic year I really didn't drive much during summer. I live in NJ, hope you understand. However, what I can say is road noise was noticeably lower. But again - please take it with a pinch of salt, since my Toyo was at its last leg so comparing that to relatively new tires seem unjustified. I frankly don't remember how the Toyo was when I bought the car. At least, these don't make me scream in agony due to road noise, LOL. I bought these tires due to the snow peak symbol making it all weather tires and for which, boy I am glad. I took my son to Shawnee ski lodge and faced considerable snow filled roads and that too up the hill and when returning downhill. Almost all cars were struggling a bit and driving very slowly except those who probably are local and had winter tires. I cruised thru, no issues.

Nice to hear.

Bought them a couple months ago.

Just waiting on my long delayed wheels to arrive to mount.

Ended up going with these, so far only driven them around town but haven’t noticed any difference in road noise from the Toyos. Dry pavement grip is better, I’m sure snow will be awesome.

Update: recent heavy snow. Obviously had to wait for driveways to clear and ONE round of road snow clean. Had still CONSIDERABLE SNOW left on all township roads and highways were not cleared also too much.

only area had a slide was when car got almost stuck but still was able to move out over 7 to 8 inches of snow.

otherwise maintained on average 35 to 45 mph on straight roads with zero slips. Turns were at slightly below normal speeds again very good in terms of traction. NEVER HAVE SEEN THIS WITH ALL SEASON STANDARD TIRES.

These tires are serious contenders for my ‘19 RAV4 for nearly all of the reasons you observed. They are very highly rated over at rav4world.

Back