Blizzak LM-25 vs. Blizzak WS-50?

jonlong

:
2003.5 Black MP5
I'm looking at getting a new set of winter tires in the next week or so, and I'm trying to decide between the Blizzak LM-25 and the Blizzak WS-50. I'm just wondering if there are any people here that have had experience with both tires.

I'm leaning towards the LM, which is the performance winter tire, but I'm wondering how much worse the ice/snow traction is compared to the WS.

Any thoughts?

The LM may actually be better on ice.

I have no experience with both, but I run performance winters. The LM would be my choice.

The WS-50 is better on Ice. And it is the better choice for the Northern States.

the WS-50 is a dedicated snow tire, and is not going to provide you the best dry-road or high-speed safety. the LM-25 is a "performance winter" tire, which sacrifices some deep-snow performance for dry-road stability.

having lived in A2 for several years, i think the WS is overkill. b/c it snows in A2 often, but generally not a lot at once, i'd say the LM will be your best bet. if you were on the western side of the state w/ lake effect snow, the answer might be different. plus, you're likely not going to want
to be ripping along a dry I-94 at 90mph on dedicated snow tires.

dmitrik4 said:
the WS-50 is a dedicated snow tire, and is not going to provide you the best dry-road or high-speed safety. the LM-25 is a "performance winter" tire, which sacrifices some deep-snow performance for dry-road stability.

having lived in A2 for several years, i think the WS is overkill. b/c it snows in A2 often, but generally not a lot at once, i'd say the LM will be your best bet. if you were on the western side of the state w/ lake effect snow, the answer might be different. plus, you're likely not going to want
to be ripping along a dry I-94 at 90mph on dedicated snow tires.

Ya, that's pretty much what I was thinking. The snow gets plowed pretty quickly, so I'm not too concerned with deep snow.

And anything is going to be better than my absolutely bald stock dunlops. They are hydroplaning at 30mph and barely stick to dry pavement.

I would suggest the Dunlop Winter Sport M3. I'm not a big fan of the Blizzak since they're only effective for the first 50% of the tread. And at that point you might as well just have a high quality all season.

I couldn't speak about which tire is better, but I have had WS-50's for the past 2 winters and I have been very happy with them. In snow/slush/ice they really do well. That's my .02

Back