Big brake upgrade (similar to brembo)

Hi
As you all may know I’m very new to this forum and owning my first Mazda being the cx9, I really enjoy driving the vehicle. loved it so much that I’ve been using it as a daily driver because the drive is better than my old bmw and nissan. The 2020 cx9 has its gripes which I’ve mentioned on other thread, but which car doesn’t I guess! Its New and know I have to break in the breaks, etc, but wondered has anyone explored or done a bb upgrade to their cx9? I know their are kits out thei by Ceika, and others. Perhaps it may be my driving habits, but I think the stopping power for the weight could be a bit better imho. I mean even my first car ( Sentra), has oem brembos, lol.

Is the braking that lacking compared to others, or to your expectation? Seems from 70mph it brakes about as well as a midsize sedan (Sonata, Accord, Altima etc)...about 170ft. Given it's weight and center of gravity, seems that's pretty good stopping power.

Unless the new ones on block (Hi Korea) are even better?

There's a couple of Mazda6 and CX-5 owners who have replaced their OEM pads and rotors with aftermarket equipment and noted a significant improvement. First, I'd try bedding the brakes (I wish I had done this on mine when it was new). Then, I would try spending $300-500 on better pads and rotors. If I still wasn't satisfied, I might consider dropping $2500+ on a BBK. But it's a lot cheaper to just adjust your expectations and brake a little bit earlier 🤣

Is the braking that lacking compared to others, or to your expectation? Seems from 70mph it brakes about as well as a midsize sedan (Sonata, Accord, Altima etc)...about 170ft. Given it's weight and center of gravity, seems that's pretty good stopping power.

Unless the new ones on block (Hi Korea) are even better?

i mean it brakes well, and mostly I’m certain now it must be because they are new and going through breaking in. Though I definitely agree given its weight compared to others but I compared it to a qx60, bmw 535xi, and my baby Sentra lol (which has brembos). They all seem to have better stopping power in comparison, but I guess will get better as time goes along.
forgive me I didn’t understand the last question?

There's a couple of Mazda6 and CX-5 owners who have replaced their OEM pads and rotors with aftermarket equipment and noted a significant improvement. First, I'd try bedding the brakes (I wish I had done this on mine when it was new). Then, I would try spending $300-500 on better pads and rotors. If I still wasn't satisfied, I might consider dropping $2500+ on a BBK. But it's a lot cheaper to just adjust your expectations and brake a little bit earlier 🤣

lol you remind me of my close cousin who into autocross w me. He constantly reminds me this is not an autocross Suv, lol. i Decided to use it as a daily cause I was tired of seeing it look so pretty sitting my my garage and frustrated w mass transit. W/ that said it has gradually gotten better in my 2nd full week of driving it. ive looked into a better aftermarket option for the summer time, but yeah I’m in love w the cx9 and unless Mazda redesigns a spectacular upgrade in all factors, I won’t mind raising the bar on a BBK, 😊🤦‍♂️

There's a couple of Mazda6 and CX-5 owners who have replaced their OEM pads and rotors with aftermarket equipment and noted a significant improvement. I would try spending $300-500 on better pads and rotors.
Any recommendations on what aftermarket equipment would deliver superior performance?

Any recommendations on what aftermarket equipment would deliver superior performance?

I have no experience with the Mazda6, but ABCGarage has posted a couple of reviews on the equipment he uses.

Centric rotors
Powerstop Z23 brake pads

A couple of other users in those threads also recommend some alternatives to those, like Brake Motive rotors and Raybestos EHT brake pads.

EDIT: Sorry, I assumed you were asking about Mazda6 options, not sure if you were asking about CX-9 options. For the CX-9, I'd give the Powerstop Z23 brake pads a go, and maybe their slotted rotors as well (mostly for the aesthetic).

Before you jump to big brakes, I would check into EBC or HAWK pads and some fresh rotors. Then Bed in the brakes real good and see how that performs. I bet you would greatly increase your stopping power with just that. Then maybe some good sticky tires before you drop some coin on big brakes.

In all my time racing we often found that new performance pads, new rotors and some proper seating of the brakes would make a world of differance. Most the time we would be able out brake the tires well before we needed big rotors and 4 or 6 piston calipers.

Just my .02

Before you jump to big brakes, I would check into EBC or HAWK pads and some fresh rotors. Then Bed in the brakes real good and see how that performs. I bet you would greatly increase your stopping power with just that. Then maybe some good sticky tires before you drop some coin on big brakes.

In all my time racing we often found that new performance pads, new rotors and some proper seating of the brakes would make a world of differance. Most the time we would be able out brake the tires well before we needed big rotors and 4 or 6 piston calipers.

Just my .02

Thank you. Will take that into account. I mean all Is new on the car only 350 thus far, and it’s starting to break in a bit better. Once summer time come around, I’ll look into those branded brakes and rotors. Thpose brand you mentioned are common On other forums like manywho race nissans that I’ve been a part of. Those who don’t have brembos use those!

Are there any big brake caliper kits on the market that is compatible with the cx-9? Would like to run a larger caliper setup with larger rotors for aesthetics

Are there any big brake caliper kits on the market that is compatible with the cx-9? Would like to run a larger caliper setup with larger rotors for aesthetics

read my first post on this tread when I created it!!
I mention some companies that manufacture them.

Ceika makes a customizable BBK. WP Pro also made a kit, but I can't seem to find the ordering site anymore. Here's a few pics of the WP Pro kit, which I saved from their website a while ago.

26908055_1529803293805754_8641148493963881473_n.jpg

IMG_20170328_194220.jpg

wppro-mazda-cx9-rear-brakes-4.jpg

There may be an alternative way to get better braking for relatively cheap: On my older MDX, I replaced the stock rubber brake hoses, from the metal lines to the caliper, with metal-braided lines. They do not expand as much as the rubber hydraulic lines and give a much stiffer pedal. With high-quality rotors and pads, you'll see a big difference.

There may be an alternative way to get better braking for relatively cheap: On my older MDX, I replaced the stock rubber brake hoses, from the metal lines to the caliper, with metal-braided lines. They do not expand as much as the rubber hydraulic lines and give a much stiffer pedal. With high-quality rotors and pads, you'll see a big difference.

cool.
I have been in contact with the company CIKEA and they are trying to sell me the front bbk in 6 piston, but it’s pricey right now even through they assert all would be a complete bolt on process.
if they manage to get the price down and agree to sell me a 6 piston bbk for the price of a 3 piston then I most likely will jump on them.

Back