Big Brake Conversion

If your looking for better fade resistance from your brakes than you're better off with just changing the pads for a performance version from a performance brake pad manufacturer. Truth is though the weakest link in stopping power likely isn't your brakes but the traction your tires have. Change the tires for a street summer or performance tire and it will improve braking and handling greatly in the right temperature conditions. If you live I a climate with winter conditions though you'll need to change those out in the fall.

Honestly though for an SUV the Mazda CX5 strikes the best balance between ride and handling and the stock brakes are fantastic as they are. If you are trying to make your SUV into something it's not like a sports car than you're likely to throw away tons of money and only get marginally better results with compromises like harsh ride and poor winter traction. You'd be better off investing that money into something that will give you a return on your investment especially if your under 50.

Thanks for the input everyone , so many sensible people on here , luckily I'm able to be a bit frivolous and make my SUV sportyish , anyhow people keeps mentioning tires , I run 20" low profile invo they are a pretty high perf tire I believe

Honestly, I applaud you for braving unexplored frontiers. Not all modifications will net positive benefits (like body kits or switching to LED bulbs), but it is the process that is the fun. Seeing where the limits are to what the chassis can do from the factory is useful information nonetheless (I.e.: both mazstyle and chris_top_her have done a lot to their suspension). Like in this scenario, the stock brake master cylinder may or may not be sufficient for a 4-pot brake system (there will be variations even across different brands). Only through a bit of trial and error will we see. Good luck!

however work has started .........

86BABC59-7C72-4302-AB18-92273A7CE42E.jpg~original

Last edited:
Bells / Hats have been center bored out and the stud hole pcd's drilled then whole lot has been milled down to fit the offset we needed .
Looking promising , final tinkering and ill have it back early next week .

F430D8E0-AE4E-4FAE-91F4-B159678D48E7.jpg~original

E60D3AF6-17F4-4B48-BCA6-BA643CC919C8.jpg~original

Not sure what's going on with you and your smart ass replies as I am clearly asking you if you have done anything with your rear brakes, not ask to be asked with smart ass questions.

Not sure what's going on with you and your smart ass replies as I am clearly asking you if you have done anything with your rear brakes, not ask to be asked with smart ass questions.

I think that Mazstyle secretly deep down realises that doing the front brakes fullysikbro! - with no regard to the rear brakes, biasing, and how it all interacts with the EBD systems - is pretty silly.

I wont be needing to upgrade the rears with my configuration, Being that I have ABS it should take care of a wheel locking up if there are any issue with bias, EBD .

The work has been carried out to our vehicle safety standards as per the engineer overseeing the work, this is not a home ghetto job.

Work on the car is complete, Its now with the vehicle cert guys who do the appropriate testing stuff to ensure its up to safety spec, should get it back tonight.
It will be fullysikbro!

Keen to see your build threads and customizations

I think that Mazstyle secretly deep down realises that doing the front brakes fullysikbro! - with no regard to the rear brakes, biasing, and how it all interacts with the EBD systems - is pretty silly.

Ohh I did get some feedback from the tester just now , Apparently at 115MPH the steering is a bit "floaty or twitchy" he suggested I dial in a little more caster to give it more stability at higher speeds.

No suggestion s for the brakes tho.... no news good news ?

Need some more build threads for LED bulb replacements and Headhunt facia installs and plasti dipping :)
All the above are great things by the way .

Today, at the car wash, I have noticed the new Mitsubishi Outlander GT's rear disc brakes, were much bigger than the front ones. It's a first.

Back