Big Brake Conversion

:
CX-5, 2.2 Diesel, 2013
Thinking of either converting something with brembos off skylines evos or similar to the CX-5 or Buying some 4POT Wilwoods with 330mm Rotors and having the brackets made up.
Not too keen on the D2 / K sport / Yellow Speed kinda cheep stuff as I don't want any problems!

Some of the Jap sites ( Biot ) have amazing brake kits but troppppo money #!@#

Anyone out there seen any bolt on Mazda 6 Bog Brake kits ? these may fit without issue ?

If you want to keep costs down, buy the Wilwoods, and have the brackets made. Otherwise, you get a custom made setup ($$$).

In my opinion, you need more horsepower before you need these.

He has more HP more tq and more acceleration than we do. He also has a much stiffer suspension set up. I experience brake performance degradation here in TX when it's hot and I am driving hard, and I'm much slower than his car.

I'm pretty sure it was design properly for his car.
If he would tune his engine and gain let's say 50 more HPs, then it would be worth upgrading.

I go look at the Wilwood stuff tomorrow, 4 Pot 330mm will be complete overkill but might be hard for me to resist .... You guys should know by now I like to pimp it up a little heheh

It's fine to pimp it up, but in my opinion you should "work" on more horsepower first.

Too late, This what I picked up today

66FDCA12-C890-42AA-AF4C-63C1758AC961.jpg~original

DC85C78A-3C32-496A-A6B6-4A64FACABB3F.jpg~original

Big Brake COnversion

^^^Two piece rotors, monoblock calipers, oh my! I've been interested in a big brake kit myself. You can NEVER have too much braking power no matter what car one drives. And, you should always have more brakes than horsepower, but this is a practice not followed most manufacturers, or even most "gear heads" that mod their cars. I Really want some anthracite 20's but, to me, 20's will make my puny rotors look even puny-er. And along with the "no rear camber fix" and no big brake upgrade, it's no wheel upgrade for me. But maybe you just erased one of my excuses, Mazstyle. I find it funny when people ask "why" when the answer is blatantly obvious- because it's his money and he wants to. Why change bulbs when properly functioning ones designed by the automaker already exists? But a more in depth answer- more HP and better capable suspension need more powerful brakes. It's all about balance, and Mazstyle is going in the right direction. People change up there cars parts for uniqueness, safety, and functionality among other reasons. If we all drove the same vehicles the world would be a dull place. I always enjoy your bling Maz, and I can't wait to see what they look like on your unique CX-5! Btw, please share the information on this Wilwood kit with me ;)

Last edited:
On my ex VW Golf V, we had an option to upgrade the brakes from the GTI, only caliper mounts, bigger disc and the dust covers.
We couldn't use for example, the CX9 brakes?

Nice.. keep us posted on what if any modifications were needed.

Uncle George,
Yes I got Rotors and Calipers, To be honest the rotors are only about 1 inch bigger than OEM so not a massive visual increase , however that 1" with this high performance stuff should make all the difference in performance,
I really wanted to go big but after a quick lesson from the engineer he came up with the appropriate combo that's would work well with the factory breaking system, so first step was for him to work out what calipers would fit with sue to their size and then work 100% with the factory breaking system, They claimed that The ultralite Caliper in 4 pot would be perfect , a 6 pot setup would have required a new pedal box which isn't something I wanted to do , Next what were the biggest rotors to suit these calipers, then brake pad compound, because I am daily driving with the occasional thrashing I need good cold stop performance so the appropriate street compound was chosen.

Next my engineer will dummy fit the parts the Hub assembly and work out the offset needed for the hats/bells , once that's done I can get the appropriate WilWood Hats/Bell blank ( the bit that bolts to the center of the rotor ) and have them machined down to the correct height to give us the offset required then get the PCD ( stud pattern) drilled to suit .

A few adaptor brackets made up to bolt to the oem mounting locations and a set of braided break hoses.

Ill take pics as we go, and once finished publish the measurements and brackets so you can get the same for your car with no fuss, the wilwood stuff is all off shelf standard parts , and I suspect a lot cheeper in USA than here at the bottom of the earth :)

On my ex VW Golf V, we had an option to upgrade the brakes from the GTI, only caliper mounts, bigger disc and the dust covers.
We couldn't use for example, the CX9 brakes?

good idea

mazstyle - that's an awesome setup... be sure you safety wire the hat to rotor just in case...

Back