2017~2024 Best way to sell new cx-5

Driver123

Best way to sell new cx-5

We bought a new 2019 CX-5 Touring just four months and two thousand miles ago and it just isnt the right vehicle for us. Can some of you please recommend the best ways to sell our pristine vehicle? The only pricing examples I am finding are on dealer sites and are unrealistically close to msrp.

check carvana and vroom....
but you would be upside down, i.e. car is worth less than you paid/owe at the moment because its too soon since you got it. So you will have some $$ loss if you sell now. Best is to drive it 1-2 more years and then sell.

Simply curious on why youre looking to sell the Touring so soon. I recently leased a 2019 CX-5 Touring and had a similar experience - wanting to unload it because it didnt fit well for our needs. Mainly didnt like the uncomfortable seats. Fortunately, some seat covers remedied the situation enough for us. Plus, the alternative vehicles werent all that appealing by comparison - and we were going to lose too much money in unloading it. Again, curious what you dont like about the Touring.....

Facebook marketplace. Don*t sell to a reseller (dealership, CarMax, Carvana) because they*re gonna hold back a couple thousand on their offer in order to flip it and make money.

Simply curious on why you*re looking to sell the Touring so soon. I recently leased a 2019 CX-5 Touring and had a similar experience - wanting to unload it because it didn*t fit well for our needs. Mainly didn*t like the uncomfortable seats. Fortunately, some seat covers remedied the situation enough for us. Plus, the alternative vehicles weren*t all that appealing by comparison - and we were going to lose too much money in unloading it. Again, curious what you don*t like about the Touring.....

Can I ask what seat covers you use?

Thanks

Sure thing - I picked up the Coverkings Spacer Mesh seat covers (black) from Costco for $99. A bit of a game-change on the seating comfort front, as I no longer get stuck on the suede. We only did the front seats, as we heard installing the back seats is a bit of a pain. Plus, the back seats dont get used all that much. Hope that helps, and happy to share more if need be.

We bought a new 2019 CX-5 Touring just four months and two thousand miles ago and it just isn*t the right vehicle for us. Can some of you please recommend the best ways to sell our pristine vehicle? The only pricing examples I am finding are on dealer sites and are unrealistically close to msrp.

I would check both Autotrader and CarGuru listings on the web. In our local area they are used for private and dealer sales. It will give you a sense of what everyone is asking for a "nearly" new CX5.

Wade

You're replacing the CX-5 with another vehicle right? If so, investigate how the sales tax would be computed on the car you're buying, depending on whether you trade your car in or not. In many (most) states, it is almost always advantageous to trade when the trade-in is of significant value as sales tax is only charged on the difference, whereas if you sell privately, then you have to pay tax on the entire new car price. Most of the time, a very late-model trade should be sold to a new car dealer (preferably a Mazda dealer in this case) as they'll be able to CPO the car and get more for the used sale, and thus offer you more. While they might not offer you quite as much as you'd make by selling the car yourself, they'll come close enough to make it the best option, especially if the sales tax situation is as I mentioned.

Regardless of how you're doing this, you want to arm yourself with as much information as you can possibly gather.

You might see what CarMAX will give you. Sometimes they're really lowball, but I've also seen instances where they offer a pretty darn good price and they're no hassle.

As others are saying, make dare sure you can't make the car work for you for at least a year or two. Selling at four months is financially rough, no matter how you cut it.

- Mark

Last edited:
If I were you I would try craigslist and sell locally.
You might lose a couple Ks, for sure.
Meet the potential buyers at somewhere public, not where you live.

Sure thing - I picked up the Coverkings Spacer Mesh seat covers (black) from Costco for $99. A bit of a game-change on the seating comfort front, as I no longer get stuck on the suede. We only did the front seats, as we heard installing the back seats is a bit of a pain. Plus, the back seats don*t get used all that much. Hope that helps, and happy to share more if need be.

Thanks

selling a new car bought 4 months ago is insane. Did you research? Did you test drive? This would not be a smart financial decision. What is so bad with the cx-5 that would force you into such a decision?

Sure thing - I picked up the Coverkings Spacer Mesh seat covers (black) from Costco for $99. A bit of a game-change on the seating comfort front, as I no longer get stuck on the suede. We only did the front seats, as we heard installing the back seats is a bit of a pain. Plus, the back seats don*t get used all that much. Hope that helps, and happy to share more if need be.

I used the coverking mesh seat covers on my cx-5. I no longer use them and threw them away. I removed the bottom seat cover for cleaning. I could not believe how much dirt goes through. It got meshed up in the fabric. Also put some wear on the side of the seat, because they do fit very tight.

Judging by previous posts, looks like OP is not satisfied with the stiffer ride of the CX-5.

I used the coverking mesh seat covers on my cx-5. I no longer use them and threw them away. I removed the bottom seat cover for cleaning. I could not believe how much dirt goes through. It got meshed up in the fabric. Also put some wear on the side of the seat, because they do fit very tight.

Appreciate the heads-up. Well still roll the dice with the covers, as the seat comfort is hardly tolerable with OEM suede fabric. Ive heard the neoprene covers cause more damage and excessive heat. Ive tried just about every other seat cover, and nothing was as close to comfortable. The leather seats were worse, too.

The Spacer Mesh ones are comfortable enough. And given that were in a lease, replacing the seat covering isnt an option. Good to know, though, that we may need to do some cleaning at the end of the lease. And Im open to a better alternative if there any suggestions. Otherwise, we find our CX-5 Touring to be a fantastic vehicle once the seat covers fixed the seating discomfort issue.

Last edited:
You're replacing the CX-5 with another vehicle. If so, investigate how the sales tax would be computed on the car you're buying, depending on whether you trade your car in or not.

- Mark
Interesting tax implications, something I never would have though of. (I'm not selling anything, but found it very interesting when doing the math.)
Here in Ontario, our tax rate is 13%, so paying tax on the full purchase price vs. paying tax on the difference between the new car price minus the trade in, would be significant.
I bought my car 2 years ago, and traded in my old Altima (for peanuts), so I never checked to see what the tax implication was.
I'll have to dig up my invoice and check.
To the OP: If you only have to pay tax on the difference between the two vehicles, then I'd trade it in for sure.

Instead of losing thousands, I would go to an upholstery shop and tell them your problem and I'm pretty sure they can help you out.

Make sure there isn't still 50psi in the tires!(deadhorse)

Looking at post history, that was already covered. OP bought a new set of tires and set them to 34 PSI if I recall.

I am just assuming that is the issue though. Not many posts to go on.

Thanks for all the good ideas. The tax implication is one I hadn*t thought of. And yes, we test drove it several times but my partner has arthritis in her neck and back and finds that after 30 minutes or so the suspension is too stiff. The passenger seat doesn*t allow for added cushions without disabling the airbags, at least for her weight. Otherwise, I like the vehicle and find it comfortable, with the *enthusiast tuned* ride something I got used to.

Back