Best Way to Sell my CX-9

ellykay

We have a 5 month old black on black Grand Touring with Nav and sunroof. We have the opportunity to buy a really nice SUV from my dad for a bargain. While we love the CX-9, it doesn't make sense to keep it under the circumstances. We have taken it to a few dealers, and most have offered us about $3000-3500 below KBB and NADA trade-in.

Any advice about how to sell it? I don't want to take a huge loss since I know the dealers are underbidding it, but I do need to sell it. I don't like the idea of some random strangers coming to my house and taking it for a drive, though.

Thanks for any input.

If you don't like random strangers coming to take a drive you are stuck with getting ripped of by a dealer. Why not arrange to meet the "stranger" someplace neutral and bring a big friend with you for assurance. Craigslist is the current standard "classified ad" and you can list it over a 50-100 mile area. Ebaymotors is another system where you actually may never even meet the buyer but you'll have hassles with shipping and sometimes less than reliable bidders.

If I were in your shoes I would just go the Craigslist route.

You can list it on free on craigslist and see if there is even an interest in it for what you think its worth.

In this market/economy you won't get much more than the wholesale value being offered most likely. So to save yourself from the possibility of a negative random encounter just take what they are offering and be done with it.

If you do sell it yourself make sure that the buyer brings a certified bank check and that you take it to your bank to verify the funds before signing off on the title. Also make them sign a sales agreement to protect/release yourself from any liability from the transaction.

I just sold a car on craigslist and just ignored the idiotic responses until I found the right buyer.

I think carmax would give you a little more than the dealers.

(iagree)

I trade vehicles a lot, and Carmax has always offered me much more than a dealer. Doesn't hurt to try--it's free, and they'll buy it from you without requiring you to purchase another vehicle.

Good to know about carmax. Autotrader has always worked well for me, but for a car this expensive I'm not sure how it would do. If you are in a populated area, my bet is that you would do fine. I know a dealer that is selling a '10 with nav, Bose, and with 10k for around 29k. It was white and I really wanted black. Also liked the new wheels better and the increased mpg was a nice to have on the '11.

Yea I would try Carmax. I went to my local dealer just to be funny pretty much and see what they would give me. I have a '10 GT w/ NAV & Rear Ent & i has 3,500 miles on it & they wouldn't even give me $30k!! They had a nice '10 Nissan Titan Crew Cab Pro4X loaded w/ 8k miles for $28,988 I was looking at. I told my Mazda dealer that if they wern't going to give me anything for it, then why the heck would I want another Mazda, lol!! They said well keep it a while longer!

Back