2013~2016 Belt Tensioner - Shouldn't this be a warranty item?

I agree. That’s why I have wait-and-see attitude and postpone the leaky belt tensioner replacement at this time.

I actually stopped by my Mazda dealer checking out the OEM belt tensioner while I was gettin a new OEM battery. The parts guy whom I know well showed me the current part number for belt tensioner from Mazda parts screen and surprisingly it’s PE03-15-980C with the MSRP still at $147.86. Based on the system PET2-15-980 has been superseded by PE03-15-980C months ago, and PE03-15-980C tensioner is the one they’re getting currently from Mazda. He brought both tensioners out and the serial number on older PET2-15-980 tensioner is F-569897.13 which indicates it’s a revised version. But the serial number on newer PE03-15-980C tensioner is F-569897.10, which is unrevised version based on the TSB! They looked exactly the same as far as I can tell, and I didn’t see different shapes on tensioner damper like the TSB stated. What a mess!

Thanks for the pics, I'm starting to get a headache hearing about this tensioner stuff LOL. I'm just thinking to myself, is it really a big deal which tensioner we get from Mazda anymore? As long as we don't hear any rattles going on then it should be fine to keep the old/non-revised one.

I feel as if this falls under the saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." In my case, the only reason why I replaced mine is because I don't want to perform this procedure when it's snowing outside with temps below 0*F if it does occur.

To be honest, I would've expected there to be no noise if any at all if it was the placebo. However, it seems like I can hear the tensioner wheel rolling every now and then and some more rattles/vibrations occurring near the passenger cabin area which I haven't heard before prior to installing this new tensioner.

What year is your Mazda6? Just wondering if they use the same sound proofing material and whatnot or maybe I'm just more sensitive/susceptible to these small nuances? No idea.

I did bleed it by going very slowly compressing it, then very slowly letting it decompress so I don't think that should be the issue.

I'm thinking though, could there possibly be a break in period for either the (1) belt(s) or (2) the tensioner itself?

2016 with 2.5l skyactiv gas engine. Virtually identical parts to a CX-5. BUT I have the OEM tensioner. Did you keep your OEM one by the way? How is it's roller...still quiet and not wobbly?

A squeaking noise not caused by belts could mean not enough tension so ensure the belts feel pretty tight and secure (engine off). If possible try moving the tensioner pulley for any movement.

I would let it break in a bit longer. I think you may be the first one to install the Gates tensioner on a CX-5 and posted it.

2016 with 2.5l skyactiv gas engine. Virtually identical parts to a CX-5. BUT I have the OEM tensioner. Did you keep your OEM one by the way? How is it's roller...still quiet and not wobbly?

A squeaking noise not caused by belts could mean not enough tension so ensure the belts feel pretty tight and secure (engine off). If possible try moving the tensioner pulley for any movement.

I would let it break in a bit longer. I think you may be the first one to install the Gates tensioner on a CX-5 and posted it.

Yes, I still have the OEM one laying around. Haven't tested out the roller yet but I'll let you know once I do.

There's no squeaking/squealing, but there's definitely more noticeable vibrations when I'm inside the car.

As for the break in, I'll give it a month/1,000 miles or so to see if anything changes and report back. Honestly hope it's just all in my head :D

Yes, I still have the OEM one laying around. Haven't tested out the roller yet but I'll let you know once I do.

There's no squeaking/squealing, but there's definitely more noticeable vibrations when I'm inside the car.

As for the break in, I'll give it a month/1,000 miles or so to see if anything changes and report back. Honestly hope it's just all in my head :D
May be you can try this mechanic’s stethoscope to pinpoint the exact location of the noise? ;)

Pittsburgh Automotive Mechanic's Stethoscope

63691_I.jpg

I installed the Gates tensioner too, before Dig did. I must say I haven't noticed anything unusual at all, but then again I'm not listening intently either as Dig is.

Fairly new member here, and I finally got around to reading this thread. Very well done in every respect, from quite a large number of contributors! I've seen a great deal of attention to detail on this forum, and trying to find the best/right way to do things, along with really good communication. Being a dedicated DIYer myself, it feels like I'm among kindred spirits, which is quite a bit different from most of the other auto forums I've participated in previously over the years.

So after reading through all of the information on this excellent thread, I naturally needed to find out what tensioners are on my 2020 and also my daughter's 2019 CX-5 GT. After taking a look a short while ago, it turns out that Mazda used the same old tensioner on both of our vehicles that everyone else has on their prior year models - PE03-15980-K0255 / F-569897.10. Not the new version '13' that one might expect to find on a 2020, so it looks like there might be a couple of tensioner swaps somewhere in my future down the road. And since Mazda didn't use the improved tensioner on the 2020, maybe they can at least get around to changing the TSB to include that model year as well.

This tensioner issue feels like it's the evil offspring of the infamous Mazda motor mounts - right down to oil leaking as the first symptom. The automaker knows fairly early on that there's a problem, but just keep on hanging on the bad parts anyway. I suppose we can be thankful this is not a thread about exploding airbags.

"This tensioner issue feels like it's the evil offspring of the infamous Mazda motor mounts - right down to oil leaking as the first symptom. The automaker knows fairly early on that there's a problem, but just keep on hanging on the bad parts anyway. I suppose we can be thankful this is not a thread about exploding airbags."

----------------------------------------------

Yeah, because exploding air bags can fatal.

In contrast I have yet to see posts describing functional problems resulting from a leaking tensioner. And Mazda has repeatedly tried to remedy the problem with various part versions.

I haven't seen any leaking on mine in over 4 years and I don't plan on replacing it unless I have issues like squealing belts or actual loss of function of the tensioner.

"This tensioner issue feels like it's the evil offspring of the infamous Mazda motor mounts - right down to oil leaking as the first symptom. The automaker knows fairly early on that there's a problem, but just keep on hanging on the bad parts anyway. I suppose we can be thankful this is not a thread about exploding airbags."

----------------------------------------------

Yeah, because exploding air bags can fatal.

In contrast I have yet to see posts describing functional problems resulting from a leaking tensioner. And Mazda has repeatedly tried to remedy the problem with various part versions.

I haven't seen any leaking on mine in over 4 years and I don't plan on replacing it unless I have issues like squealing belts or actual loss of function of the tensioner.
I like to use leaky shock absorber as the analogy. If we see a leaky shock absorber do we want to replace it (a pair)? We can keep using the leaky shock without issues just like the belt tensioner. But the risk is there and most would want to replace it soon. A leaky belt tensioner although may not cause any immediate problem, but it will shorten the lifespan of serpentine belt due to the weaker damping function. It’s a problem, to me and to Mazda too or they wouldn’t issue a TSB and modify the tensioner damper.

Mine has like grease on it, does it mean it's leaking?

20201028_122542.jpg

Bad pic but you can see the smear of my finger, tell me what you think, thanks.

It does look pretty grimy. Could you degrease it with something and see if it reappears?

will do,sent a pic to my mechanic he said it does leak and advised me to replace it only if it starts to squeak.should i wait until it does or to go ahead and do it now,any risks with leaving it like it is now?tnx

will do,.. sent a pic to my mechanic he said it does leak and advised me to replace it only if it starts to squeak …
Not very good advice from a pro IMO, because it's possible for the tensioner to drip onto the belt, which would not be a good thing. He may believe that's not going to happen, but I don't think it's possible to know for certain it will never start dripping down. And this is certainly something you don't want to be worrying about or feel that you need to check on regularly.

Why take the chance, given that (if leaking now) it's going to be replaced sometime in the future anyway? Be sure to tell him about the new and presumably improved version '13' of the tensioner (or perhaps buy it yourself and bring it to him). Read the prior posting in this thread to get the background, if you're not familiar with this.

F569897.13 this one?
the dealership said it has somthing thats made in germany.
Yes, that's the correct secondary part #, and just make sure that the primary part # is the right one for your vehicle. There are LOTS of primary part #s floating around, but it should be the right one when the dealer uses your VIN for the lookup. No idea about Germany - perhaps Mazda has given up on Slovakia, where this part has been coming from (and leaking) for years.

I'm not a professional mechanic, just a shade tree home DIY'er. I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn last night. Just I guy with an opinion .....

IMHO, some are thinking too hard on this. I think AVI777's mechanic is offering reasonable advise. Sure, you could replace it. For a few hundred bucks. Don't forget, you are also disturbing other parts whilst your in there (plastic trim, fasteners, belt, etc) that could be fine, maybe not. Maybe cause another problem. For what? Looks to me like many of these tensioner pics I see are what I would consider just slightly wet with grime built up. If it had a stream of oil running down the side of it I could understand concern. I think most of these I would classify as a weep more than a leak.

This ain't the space shuttle ;)

There ya go ... My opinion. That and a bag of chips will getchya ... A bag of chips :)

I hear you both and agree but what my main concern is if a leaky/faulty tensioner can cause any damage to other parts.is that the case or it can only cause squeaks? tnx.

… IMHO, some are thinking too hard on this ...
Actually it didn't take more than a couple of seconds to come up with my take on this. I'm a dedicated DIYer too, and have no problem letting stuff go, when I don't see a big rush. I watched a motor mount leak for quite a few months on my daughter's 3i a few years ago, before finally getting around to swapping it out.

And you may be correct that it will never turn into an active drip onto the belt - no idea if it can or cannot do that. However, I'll stand by my opinion that a pro should advise the owner that it's a possibility (unless he know for certain it's not), and recommend replacing the part.

But you're certainly entitled to your opinion, and there's definitely room for more than one point of view on this.

Yes, that's the correct secondary part #, and just make sure that the primary part # is the right one for your vehicle. There are LOTS of primary part #s floating around, but it should be the right one when the dealer uses your VIN for the lookup. No idea about Germany - perhaps Mazda has given up on Slovakia, where this part has been coming from (and leaking) for years.
The part number for current Mazda OEM belt tensioner is PE03-15-980C, but the serial number is F-569897.10. See post #237 and post #238 in previous page for more details. The OEM tensioner is still made in Slovakia, not Germany.

I had a car with a true hydraulic chain tensioner that could do serious engine damage if it didn't operate properly. It was screwed into the block and fortunately easy to replace.

I don't really understand the function of the oil in the Mazda tensioner but it doesn't appear to be constructed the way a hydraulic part is. There doesn't seem to be a cylinder and piston, just a rubber boot over a spring. This is why I don't see as much concern over replacing the part unless it actually seems to cause a more obvious problem, at which time I would replace the tensioner and belt together.

It would be interesting to see how the aftermarket part from Rock auto works. It looks different than the OE part.

Back