2013~2016 Belt Tensioner - Shouldn't this be a warranty item?

:
2016 CX5 GT
I have a 2016 CX-5 in for server and the belt tensioner is leaking badly. I'm almost at 54,000 miles. I purchased the car certified pre-owned in March of 2018. For tire rotation and oil change they did a full inspection and showed me that the belt tensioner is leaking and highly recommend a replacement before it falls off while driving.

I did a quick google search and found that this apparently happens to many folks. Most of what I read was on Mazda 6 forum sites, but I know the engine is pretty much the same. They would do it for $280 because apparently the warranty on this part expired by time. Do you think this is a fair assumption?

I have a 2020 CX-5 loaner for the time being until the part gets in and they take care of it.

It falls under the 3 yr/36k mile basic warranty. The CPO warranty added 1 yr/12k miles to the basic warranty

Well hopefully the revised part lasts longer. It’s a shame there isn’t a recall for it. I imagine if it falls off when driving, that’s not a good thing.

I’m enjoying the 2020 loaner, just they have some kind of cleaner overspray all over the piano black, hvac screen and gauge cluster. No amount of microfiber cloth and glass cleaner seems to clear it up. Not sure what they are spraying the car with, but it certainly stained any shiny interior bits. I wipe and it looks good, but as soon as it dries the overspray substance returns.

A lot of the sanitizer sprays contain different types of alcohols and phenols. They may do great at disinfecting, but can be tough on plastics. Maybe when the cars go on the used market, they’d be at a lower price for the condition. Nah...

My dealer told me the same ('16 Mazda6). "Your tensioner is showing some leak". They also wanted more than $250. I said, "No." on the spot. Back home, indeed, I saw some evidence of that. However, I am not sure if the oil originated from the tensioner or from overspill during engine oil filling since I also saw oil stain on the alternator next to it. I cleaned up the stains on the tensioner and keep it closely watched.... After a couple days, I have not seen any new oil leak yet. Fingers crossed.

My car is done now, after work I'm going to get it. The total bill was around 470 for oil change, tire rotation, air filter, cabin air filter, and the tensioner. I'll be sad to return the 2020 CX-5, but one day I'll get a new one with a turbo hopefully.

Well hopefully the revised part lasts longer. It’s a shame there isn’t a recall for it. I imagine if it falls off when driving, that’s not a good thing.
Actually based on all the reports here, 2016 CX-5 seems to be the MY suffered the most of leaking belt tensioner, including mine. We haven’t seen many complaints from early CX-5‘s. May be their tensioner is made in Japan instead of Slovakia?

My 2014 original tensioner leaked at 29,000 miles and don't know where it was made.The replacement (suffix-B) was made in Slovakia.

I have the car back. It’s clearly new looking. I notice my engine cover says skyactiv. The 2020 said skyactiv g. What’s the difference between the G version on the 2020? The loaner was not a turbo, though I strive to get one some day.

I can’t see a part number from the engine bay, but on the work order it’s showing a part number PET2-15-980 for $155.41.

My '17 (31k miles, built Aug 2017) had the leaking belt tensioner replaced two months ago. Under warranty.

I can’t belive with all the reports of this issue, a recall of extended warranty on this part wouldn’t have been issued.

Even VW recognized their mistake in the high pressure fuel pump in the 07-09 2.0T engine and extended that $1500 repair to 10 years or 120,000 miles.

I had mine replaced last year for my cpo 2014, dealer and Mazda corporate would not cover the tensioner under cpo, but the dealer was nice enough to goodwill the part and I paid for labor.

Just had mine replaced, was covered under extended warranty minus the deductible. the thing shouldn't be leaking, this is my second CX5 with this issue

Just had mine replaced, was covered under extended warranty minus the deductible. the thing shouldn't be leaking, this is my second CX5 with this issue
So you purchased an extended warranty? Mazda’s or third-party’s? This thing definitely is not covered under powertrain warranty.

Yeah, this tensioner shouldn’t be leaking this early. Mine is leaking now at ~41,500 miles!

It failed last year, on my '14 and I replaced it myself. Part is ~$130 from rockauto. Though it's a bit of a pain to replace it. I had just past 40k miles, when I had replaced it.

So you purchased an extended warranty? Mazda’s or third-party’s? This thing definitely is not covered under powertrain warranty.

Yeah, this tensioner shouldn’t be leaking this early. Mine is leaking now at ~41,500 miles!
Mazda Care...good anywhere.

It failed last year, on my '14 and I replaced it myself. Part is ~$130 from rockauto. Though it's a bit of a pain to replace it. I had just past 40k miles, when I had replaced it.
44k on my current ride.

I checked mine yesterday (2016.5MY-41k mi) and I didn't see any film or sign of leakage.
It looks like you have to do some work to remove it so I hope it doesn't give me trouble.

There is a video on youtube showing you how to replace the tensioner of a Skyactiv-G engine.

I had three Mazdas with same 2.5L engine. My '14 Mazda3 has no sign of leak. My '16 Mazda6 did. My '17 CX5 has no issue either. After keeping a close eye on the tensioner of my '16 Mazda6, I see absolutely no sign of leakage (cleaned it up first). This tells me the original sign of leak was likely from over-spill of engine oil when filling by dealer mechanics. Continue to watch it. :)

Back