Beeping After Locking Car

Woozer

Woozer
:
2019 CX-5 Grand Touring
All - After nearly a year of owning a 2019 CX5 Grand Touring with zero issues, it has started doing something inconsistent and annoying. I park the car, put it in Park, put on the emergency brake, shut off the motor, and get out.

But when I click the fob to lock it, the doors lock and the mirrors fold in just like normal, but the car (not the fob, the car) is making a loud repeating double beep (beepbeep, beepbeep, beepbeep, etc) that goes on for 10 or 15 seconds before it eventually stops. While it's doing this, there are no lights or any other visible activity going on inside the car.

Does anybody have any idea why it's doing this? I must be doing something wrong/different, but it's hard to think of what.

tia

All - After nearly a year of owning a 2019 CX5 Grand Touring with zero issues, it has started doing something inconsistent and annoying. I park the car, put it in Park, put on the emergency brake, shut off the motor, and get out.

But when I click the fob to lock it, the doors lock and the mirrors fold in just like normal, but the car (not the fob, the car) is making a loud repeating double beep (beepbeep, beepbeep, beepbeep, etc) that goes on for 10 or 15 seconds before it eventually stops. While it's doing this, there are no lights or any other visible activity going on inside the car.

Does anybody have any idea why it's doing this? I must be doing something wrong/different, but it's hard to think of what.

tia
You wouldn't by chance have left a key-fob in the car on accident? I did so once and it did something similar to this.

You wouldn't by chance have left a key-fob in the car on accident? I did so once and it did something similar to this.
Leaving a fob in the car does that, for sure, but not in this case. One fob is in my hand, and the other is on the counter in the kitchen at home. It's something else. The question is, what? It's done it three times in the past week, never before.

Headlights or parking lights left on?
Trunk or door not fully closed?

That'll do it too, maybe a sensor for a door latch isn't working as it should if its beeping with all doors closed.
I very much appreciate all the sleuthing, but no, no, no and no. The headlights are always on Auto, and I'm never opening the trunk and I'm always alone. Open the drivers door, get out, lock it. And then, sometimes, beeparama. The mirrors are folding in so the doors have to all be closed fully for it to lock and arm the alarm. I've tried unlocking it and relocking it while it's doing this annoying beepiness, and it just keeps on beeping until it's done beeping, and then it stops. It feels like forever, but it's probably only about 10-15 seconds.

Leaving a fob in the car does that, for sure, but not in this case. One fob is in my hand, and the other is on the counter in the kitchen at home. It's something else. The question is, what? It's done it three times in the past week, never before.
This exact same thing keeps happening to me too! 2019 CX-5. I'll park it at work, close the door, and it automatically locks, the mirrors fold in, and it beeps, as usual... AND THEN the super loud alarm goes off when I get about 20 feet away from the car! The key fob is with me in my purse and the extra key fob is at home. It also happened one time in the middle of the night in our garage and scared the crap out of us! What the heck is causing this and how do I make it stop?!?!

Look through the window and check the dashboard to see if the red door open indicator is lit, may be a bad sensor or short...

Look through the window and check the dashboard to see if the red door open indicator is lit, may be a bad sensor or short...

I would also suspect this. Woozer has said that all doors appear to be closed, but even if they are, a faulty sensor could report that a door is open while it's actually closed, which would trigger the beeping.

jgardAZ, your issue sounds a bit different as your vehicle theft deterrent is going off (the honking). The beeping described in the original post is much quieter and more of a warning sound. You're still under warranty, so I'd bring the car to the dealer and let them diagnose it.

Try locking the drivers door with the lock button when you exit and see how it reacts. If it does the same thing as the fob then it's more likely a bad sensor, etc. If not, maybe there's something wrong with the fob.

This is the way I lockup, I never lock with the fob.

This happens to me on my 2020 occasionally and I’ve never been able to figure out why. I just look back at the car and ask “what are you yelling at me for?” but with all else seeming fine I just walk away.
It’s possible I was sitting in the car for a while with the engine off but listening to the radio (accessory power on) and got out before the infotainment had a chance to completely power-down, but that’s the only thing I can think to associate it with, since I have no issues with any of my door sensors.

I just bought a used 2014 CX-9 today that has an electronic key fob and it continued beeping when I got out of the car. I now suspect this is why the previous owner got rid of the car. I also have a 2008 CX-9 that has started beeping like this and to stop it I have to jam the key into the ignition a few times and it finally stops. It's something with the ignition tumblers. I was hoping Mazda had fix this problem, but evidently they haven't. I taking the car back to the dealership and I'm going to make them fix it. Unfortunately, it seems to be sporadic.

If you have a second keyfob in the car when you lock it, it will beep several times. If the engine is running and you get out and lock it, it will beep. If it is not in park and you lock it, it will beep - several have had a failure/sometimes failure of the switch in the console that registers it in park that caused beeping...

If you have a second keyfob in the car when you lock it, it will beep several times. If the engine is running and you get out and lock it, it will beep. If it is not in park and you lock it, it will beep - several have had a failure/sometimes failure of the switch in the console that registers it in park that caused beeping...
I only have one key fob and the battery is fine. If it's the same problem as my 2008 CX-9 then it's in the tumblers. I've blown graphite into the ignition and that helps for a period of time. Today, I drove my 2014 CX-9 for the 2nd time and couldn't recreate the problem.

I am afraid to ask but ... could it be the 12V battery that is weak?
A weak 12V could give you all sorts of strange issues.

I never had such issue with my 4 Mazdas, but I replaced batteries every 3-4 yrs.

I am afraid to ask but ... could it be the 12V battery that is weak?
A weak 12V could give you all sorts of strange issues.

I never had such issue with my 4 Mazdas, but I replaced batteries every 3-4 yrs.
The battery is brand new.

Back