battery terminals?

montpas

:
Mazda Protege5
anyone have problems with their battery terminals corroding? hoping that this will solve the problem also working on a custom heat sheild post pics when its done!

IMG_0312.jpg

Last edited:
My negative terminal is corroded, a common problem on the P5s. I put a new positive terminal on when I installed my amp. You may have corrosion inside the wires and should replace them. Good luck, hope it solves your problems.

Clean with bat terminal brush
Add those red and green felt washers
Coat with lithium grease.

My preference is the Permatex battery protector, sprays on and looks like purple goo. Works better than the washers imo. +1 on the battery post cleaning, very important.

Yes, post some pics when you're done please.

Good luck and may the force be with you.

For whatever reason my + terminal is tightened all the way, but it's still loose on the post... I'm going to be replacing that before too long, as it's just a disastar waiting to happen. I'll probably grab a nice beefy aftermarket terminal to really solidify that connection. It's already come loose at least once, which really had me scratching my head as to why my car wouldn't start, but, luckily I had the exact same problem with my last car and knew exactly what to check and I keep a 10mm wrench in the car to retighten if it happens away from home.

Clean with bat terminal brush
Add those red and green felt washers
Coat with lithium grease.

DO NOT COAT WITH LITHIUM GREASE!!
the only grease you should use on battery terminals is dielectric grease
all the other grease will break down from the electricity and it will stop the terminals from even getting any electricity through them, ask me how i know

I constantly have this problem...I had to replace my + terminal, and when I stripped back the cable shield, even the cable was corroded. Now my - terminal is corroding and I'll probably have to do the same thing. Looking like new cables in my future.

I'm planning on redoing my power & ground wires and getting new terminals before this winter comes around.

i believe the word "lithium" threw him off...because Lithium is seen in batteries that are rechargeable which relates to power source.... :/

The owner's manual says to use "petroleum jelly" or terminal grease for the terminals/connections. Basically Vaseline. Page 8-26 in the 2002 manual.

Back