Battery life for key fob...How long does yours last?

Always gotta argue with me, don't ya? ;)
Did it lock you out of the car completely? No. Did it give you a lot of notice? Yes. Could you have probably gone a few more WEEKS without replacing? Yes.
Of course, Mazda or anyone, is going to err on the side of more and longer notice then just DEAD one day.

Always gotta argue with me, don't ya? ;)
Did it lock you out of the car completely? No. Did it give you a lot of notice? Yes. Could you have probably gone a few more WEEKS without replacing? Yes.
Of course, Mazda or anyone, is going to err on the side of more and longer notice then just DEAD one day.
Yeah I miss the time when you’re here more often ⋯ ;)

Looks like you missed my point. The system should keep displaying “Key fob battery low” message from time to time when the fob battery is getting weak. But the message appeared for a couple of times a while ago, then had never displayed again for many (12?) months even if the battery was getting so weak and couldn’t unlock the door in the morning sometimes. Strangely I had no trouble to start the engine with the key fob in my pocket. Then wife’s key fob was doing the same.

So why the system wouldn’t give me more warnings when the fob battery was getting weaker after the first several warning messages had displayed?

I just replace them when they get low. Like when you have to be really close to the car for the fob to work. They're relatively cheap. Have never paid attention to how long they lasted, and this covers a 9 year period of having a 2013, then my current 2015 Touring. In that time I believe I have only changed them around 4 or 5 times. I replace both fob batteries when one gets low.

Last edited:
I just replace them when they get low. Like when you have to be really close to the car for the fob to work. They're relatively cheap. Have never paid attention to how long they lasted, and this covers a 9 year period of having a 2013, then my current 2015 Touring.

Got a 4-pack at Walmart for $5. Not worth stressing over. Just change it. Takes a minute or two to swap out.

Yeah I miss the time when you’re here more often ⋯ ;)
LOL! Love ya man!
Looks like you missed my point.

So why the system wouldn’t give me more warnings when the fob battery was getting weaker after the first several warning messages had displayed?
And you're missing mine. Mine: It's not just going to stop one day and not let you in. It gives more then enough notice.

Not worth stressing over. Just change it. Takes a minute or two to swap out.
No one is stressing. We're just, as my Uncle used to say... "Jawing". :D

We just replaced the battery in wife's 2018 fob. Her first sign of an issue was that the rear hatch would not open with the fob unless she was really near it. No warning lights of low battery with starting. Used the 2032 as suggested here. No problems now.

Back