Battery life for key fob...How long does yours last?

:
North of Toronto
:
2019 CX-9 Sig
Yikes, I only got 8 months or so on a cx9 fob. My garage is detached so 2 brick walls and anywhere from 30 to prob 80 ft distance. 4 months of that was C-19, so car used maybe once a week on avg.

Oh well. Maybe I'll get luckier with the replacement battery. Could be the new car had a fob battery from months before my purchase date.

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2016 Mazda6 iGT, 2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback
Keep your fobs in a metal box. See if that helps.
My fob is in a drawer 20 ft away from my CX5 in garage with 3 dry walls in between. I once brought a wrong fob (Mazda6's) and stepped on the brake. The CX5 dash said "your fob battery is low" ... It actually still can sense it that far away....

:
16.5 CX-5 Tour/AWD
Agreed. Those batteries are thicker the the recommended ones...does it fit right?
There's a tiny gap because the battery is slightly thicker in the CR2032. The only issue I can think of is the weather sealing due to the fob housing not being fully closed. I have a CR2032 so I can attest to that but my fob is a 2016.5 so YMMV.

Why replace the CR2025 with CR2032? After all, the CX5 cost $30,000 plus and the CX2025 are $2.50 each at HD. Just replace them every 12 months for $5.00.

:
2019 CX-5 Signature
Why replace the CR2025 with CR2032? After all, the CX5 cost $30,000 plus and the CX2025 are $2.50 each at HD. Just replace them every 12 months for $5.00.
Why? Because I have them on hand at the house. The plus is they will last longer. Why not?

My wife's fob just gave the warning this week (2019 sold 2/19). Seems like Oct 2020 must have been the expiration date on a batch of batteries at the factory.

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Keep your fobs in a metal box. See if that helps.
My fob is in a drawer 20 ft away from my CX5 in garage with 3 dry walls in between. I once brought a wrong fob (Mazda6's) and stepped on the brake. The CX5 dash said "your fob battery is low" ... It actually still can sense it that far away....
There’s a way to put the unused spare key fob into sleep mode and prolong the battery life. Just not sure if it’d work for all Mazda key fobs including older and thicker ones.
Just wake up the key ;-)

Works on all Mazdas.

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
My wife's fob just gave the warning this week (2019 sold 2/19). Seems like Oct 2020 must have been the expiration date on a batch of batteries at the factory.
Like you said, the Oct. 2020 seems to be the battery expiration month as my key fob is also givIng me the low battery warning after about 4+ years of service life. This’s the Panasonic CR 2025 battery which replaced the factory one on 2/28/2016.