2017~2024 Base 4 Speaker System Upgrade

Will update the speakers and add Sub and amps at some stage. But won't going 10 way.
Just good two way components on front and rear and a custom 8 or 10 inch enclosure to fit around spare tyre.

My CX-5 2017 was a middle range model with 4 speakers (one on each door) and two tweeters on the A pillars. The sound was rather dull and shut in and with low bass. Soon after buying the car I ripped off those door speakers and A pillar tweeters and replaced them with Hertz speakers and Hertz tweeters. The sound has really opened up and the bass has improved tremendously. I do not feel I need to do any more. I was planning to put sub woofers but I am so pleased with the present set up that I do not need the sub woofers and I am not a bass junkie.

My CX-5 2017 was a middle range model with 4 speakers (one on each door) and two tweeters on the A pillars. The sound was rather dull and shut in and with low bass. Soon after buying the car I ripped off those door speakers and A pillar tweeters and replaced them with Hertz speakers and Hertz tweeters. The sound has really opened up and the bass has improved tremendously. I do not feel I need to do any more. I was planning to put sub woofers but I am so pleased with the present set up that I do not need the sub woofers and I am not a bass junkie.

Where did you buy the speakers?

Was the installation easy? Just plug and play?

I bought them on line here in Sweden. There are quite a few models of these speakers and the mid and high range ones have received good reviews. They are made in Italy. I do not know if you can get them in your country.

Where did you buy the speakers?

Was the installation easy? Just plug and play?
I agree with raj55 that speaker upgrades with good aftermarket speakers for better sound usually is sufficient for most people. Find good 2 pairs of 6 2-way coaxial speakers for door speaker replacement is a big improvement over inferior factory dual-cone paper speakers on base system. You can add 2 1 tweeters which are missing from base 4 speaker system.

Replacing door speakers is not a plug-and-play. The speaker connectors are different, so as the mounting. I believe the wiring is there for missing 1 tweeters. Therere several good speaker upgrade write-ups here for gen-2 CX-5, but those for gen-1 should be very similar too.

I used 4 of these I think and a pair of tweeters all Hertz. Bought for half that price here in Sweden! They are available in Amazon, I noticed. But I do not know what sort of sound you like. I build my own tube amplifiers and even speakers (TQWP) and I prefer smooth, detailed sound with tight base (not over powering base). I can only compare the set up and sound in my car by saying that they resemble the home stereo with detail, quiet pauses, good midrange, great for vocals and tight base. The stereo effect is very good. If you want all that and heavy base, chose some other speakers that are base heavy or add a sub woofer to this system.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

P.S. one of the reason why after market speakers perform poorly in cars is because they are poorly seated on door frame. I used a window and door sealing rubber strip between the speaker rim edge and the door frame to get a tight seal. That way you damp the speaker and remove resonance there by picking up details in the song and improve base.

Last edited:
I agree with raj55 that speaker upgrades with good aftermarket speakers for better sound usually is sufficient for most people. Find good 2 pairs of 6* 2-way coaxial speakers for door speaker replacement is a big improvement over inferior factory dual-cone paper speakers on base system. You can add 2 1* tweeters which are missing from base 4 speaker system.

Replacing door speakers is not a plug-and-play. The speaker connectors are different, so as the mounting. I believe the wiring is there for missing 1* tweeters. There*re several good speaker upgrade write-ups here for gen-2 CX-5, but those for gen-1 should be very similar too.

Any idea if this adapter and harness would work? These are what Crutchfield recommends for the gen-2 CX-5

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_003NSB710/American-International-NSB710-Speaker-Mounting-Brackets.html
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120725602/Metra-72-5602-Speaker-Wiring-Harness.html

I personally havent done any speaker upgrades on my Bose. Read and ask questions to raj55 that is the best way to figure out what you need as he did the speaker upgrades on his gen-2 CX-5 with base 4-speaker system. And do a search as therere some good write-ups somewhere.

The OEM speaker connectors are different between base system and Bose system. Most people simply cut the factory connectors and solder the standard connectors for aftermarket speakers. Sealing the speakers on doors is important like raj55 mentioned. You should call crutchfield for those speaker connector adapters and speaker gaskets making sure theyre for gen-2 CX-5 base 4-speaker system.

I canabalised the plastic rim from the original speakers and used them as the adapter. I used dremmel to cut out the original speaker so that I was left with the rim and the connector terminals. I then applied the rubber strip around it and placed the new speaker over it. I then screwed in 3- 4 screws along the edge of the new speakers in the hole provided to fix it to the old rim. The old speaker rim and the new speaker became a single body.Then i used two wires and soldering iron to connect the terminals on the new speaker to the old speaker terminal. That way I could connect the old speaker wires and old terminals as before. Finally I placed the speaker over the car door frame in the usual slot and using the original screws tightened the new set up (with the old rim) on the car door panel. The biggest pain was the dremmel work.

This guy shows you how to do it.
Does the stock head unit have enough power to push these aftermarket mid speakers and tweeters? My 2019 Bose system is lacking, but don’t want to have to worry about installing amps again.

How about adding the two tweeters to the A pillar? Is that difficult? Do the tweeter mounts fit inside or glue over them? Is there a wire nearby or do you have to tap a wire someplace?

I can see adding tweeters but I think the tone of the OEM door speaker is OK.

What I found odd is the tweeters are aimed straight across the dashboard instead of the direction of the driver and passenger.

Yeah but all I have is 4 dual cone door speakers. I think they sound pretty decent but the sound can get blocked by things like legs etc

There are some grills in the dash so I guess I could put something there like 3.5s maybe?

Back