Backup Camera Washer?

Kedis82ZE8

'15 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
I was reminded today after being in mud & snow I'd like to install a backup camera washer in CX-5.

Anyone come across one or a mod?

I installed one on my GX 460 from a unit made in Russia. It works great and simple plumbing install w/rear washer.

I know it seems like a gimmick but trust me it works.

For the amount of time I drive in reverse, my thumb works really well, and quickly, when the lens needs cleaning.
Gimmicks can be fun, but this just seems like such a waste of time and money.
I'd rather have headlight washers and wipers first.

Acura just announced new FMC 2022 MDX (arriving in summer 2021).
It has a backup camera washer !!!
Works similarly.

I'll keep searching or retrofit with just a single windshield washer... I've seen some do retrofit that way as well.

I would like to have headlight washers as well on my CX-5 but think that would be a harder mod.

My GX 460 has headlight washers and greatly appreciate having those driving in the snow storms.

Example with windshield washer:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 190
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
For the amount of time I drive in reverse, my thumb works really well, and quickly, when the lens needs cleaning.
Gimmicks can be fun, but this just seems like such a waste of time and money.
I'd rather have headlight washers and wipers first.
I'll second the thumb method. While the occasional dirt/drips on the backup camera can be annoying it's a minor inconvenience in my opinion.

I was reminded today after being in mud & snow I'd like to install a backup camera washer in CX-5.

I installed one on my GX 460 from a unit made in Russia. It works great and simple plumbing install w/rear washer.

This might come in handy when someone is tailgating you!

I had a 2012 VW Sportwagen DSG TDI diesel that was involved in the VW diesel-gate business. VW bought it back and then I bought my 2016.5 CX-5 with the VW dough.

One of the nice things about the VW, other than the fantastic fuel economy (~50 mpg), was the rear washer. The washer nozzle was at the bottom of the rear window and was so powerful that not only did it do a great job of covering the rear window but it also shot up high enough that if a car was following me too close, it also covered their windshield.

I have a serious pet peeve about idiots tailgating me. I'd engage the rear washer and cover their windshields and hoods with spray. Most of the time the morons got the message and backed off, if not, I'd do it again. Worked great!

No can do with the CX though. The spray comes from the top down and is kinda wimpy. Can't blast the tailgating idiots with that.

Last edited:
Actually... I'd rather not scratch the lens with my finger ... it already has resolution challenges. :)

I drive in a mountain pass with mud, grit, snow and slush.

I'll report back when I have a solution.

I see they have this one for Miata that blows air

Old thread

This will work.

Love the idea. The thumb method is OK, but I usually have the problem when I'm backing up in the rain and cannot see. No option to just stop the car wherever I am and get out and wipe it off manually.

I will monitor this thread for solutions :)

This will work.

I have to say... At first I thought this was such a bizarre thread. Now, I am kind of intrigued! We definitely get a ton of salt during the winter and this would be helpful. Having said that, I also keep a microfiber cloth and some invisible glass spray in the trunk just for this reason.

I’ve only had my CX for a couple of months. That last couple of days it has warmed up enough to have a little splash-up hitting the camera. I was thinking of this thread today when I wet my thumb and wiped the camera off in about 1 second. Foolproof system, no electronics, no liquid, no pumps, just my thumb. Think I’ll stick with that.

I'll take one, if you can convince them to build it! The thumb works great, until it's pouring rain and you can't see through the camera and don't want to get wet!

Maybe we can do a bulk buy. Not enough English to figure out how.

This mod is very easily doable in our CX5. A camera flush tube that takes its water supply from the rear window washer tube using a T connector and a non return valve. The rear window original washer tube can be exposed by removing the inner plastic liner over the tail gate. Just divide it and attach a T tube with one limb going to the camera. Every time you flush the tail gate window, you get a squirt on the camera. I am planning to do it over next summer. It is too cold now to work with the car.

Just copied some one else's photo on a cx5 tail gate with trim removed from internet (thanks). The black S shaped tube with a green dot just to the right of the centre line is the rear window wiper flush tube. Cut it and attach a T connector to it. Attach a clear plastic tube to one arm of the T connector and bring it down to the camera. Attach a nozzle at the end of camera flush tube. I would chose a small diameter tube to increase the resistance so that more water goes to the rear window washer and less to the camera. Also attach a one way or back valve to the camera washer tube to stop all the dribble that can occur after the flush.

Attachments

• 20180422_142727-768x576.jpg
    20180422_142727-768x576.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
I cringe at the thought of smearing dirt (a source of scratches) across any part of the car with a finger. Always use a lubricative washing liquid and wipe off (rinseless wash is especially good for glass). Keep a small bottle with some microfibers in the car for things like this. Works for bird bombs as well.

Back