AWD Tire Rotation Pattern

:
Florida
:
2020 CX-9 GT AWD
Hello all - I searched around this site and others to try and get a clear answer on this. I am not certain as to the appropriate tire rotation pattern for my AWD CX9. The owner's manual shows the pattern below:

Capture.PNG

But it seems the general consensus for AWD vehicles is basically the inverse of this.

Capture2.PNG

It's probably not a big deal either way, but I am curious if anyone has an 'expert' opinion on this. My plan as of now is to go with the 'general consensus' on pattern vs what's in the manual.

Appreciate any insight.

My guess is that they went with the FWD set up because it is a fwd biased system. Your car is FWD driven most of the times.
In my opinion it doesn’t really matter as long as you are consistent.

My guess is that they went with the FWD set up because it is a fwd biased system. Your car is FWD driven most of the times.
In my opinion it doesn’t really matter as long as you are consistent.

That's a good thought. I really doubt my AWD engages more than a fraction of 1 percent of time time while I drive. Perhaps it's best then to stick with the manual. Agreed that either is likely fine so long as it is consistent. Thanks for the feedback.

I’d go with the OM. In general, FWD’ers (either pure FWD or mainly FWD cars that engage RWD only on demand) use the pattern where the rears are the tires that cross side to side.

I also agree that it was a not a critical thing as long as you’re consistent. Many just swap front to back without changing sides to make the job easier and/or to avoid any issues where the side to side swap causes premature tire problems.

- Mark

After 4 rotations, the tires have moved the same, so there really isn't a difference. They key here is the left to right/right to left movement to balance out the extra tire wear seen in the rears.

Back