Autos.ca Comparison Test: 2012 Chevrolet Orlando, Mazda5, Dodge Journey and Prius V

coolmazda5

Contributor
:
2008 Mazda5 5MT Sport w/ Popular Package
family_comparo00-3596.jpg

family_comparo06-3600.jpg

The small family hauler category welcomes a few new entries this year, as automakers seek to introduce vehicles with better fuel consumption and value than minivans, which have grown larger and pricier than many growing families can afford. Today, we look at the Chevrolet Orlando, Mazda5, Dodge Journey and the Prius V to see what they offer customers looking for economical and practical vehicles that will serve all their family needs.

Full Article:
http://www.autos.ca/car-comparisons/comparison-test-four-small-family-haulers

Gallery:
http://www.autos.ca/galleries/2012/index.php?level=album&id=131

I think the Chevy Orlando and the Mazda5 are the closest, but sliding doors >> hinge doors

Completely agree with coolmazda. Sliding doors have to be one of the greatest inventions ever. Especially when you have 2 kids and a big dog.

Apparently, the current Kia Rondo is probably near EOL, even though it is still a strong seller. Last year, the Kia Rondo sold 6154 units vs. 6084 units of the Mazda 5. The Rondo has gone down a bit this year, Mazda 5 is up, Orlando is somewhere between the two, and the Prius V lags all but overall neck in neck in neck in neck.

I really like the Orlando, too bad for its poor seats. My butt didn't like them. :( It was a good car otherwise.

I believe the Rondo was discontinued as of the 2011 model year.

And yes, sliding doors are, IMO, mandatory when you're dealing with young kids still in car seats. Without the sliding doors, many 3-row vehicles rely on folding forward the second row seat backs for access to the rear seats - which you can't do when car seats are strapped into the 2nd row.

I just wish Ford hadn't scrubbed plans to bring the Grand C-Max over... that would have been true competition.
new%20Ford%20Grand%20C-Max.jpg

^
this...

and i saw one the other day. wasnt that impressed.

was a manufacturer vehicle.

It's a shame that the US public is still more interested in looking "cool" (i.e. a couple extra unnecessary inches of ground clearance) in a crossover/mini SUV than a more practical, efficient and agile mini-van.
You can see it with Mazda as well and the attention they're lavishing on the more expensive, smaller but only marginally lighter CX5. They know who butters their bread....

well... the cx5 does get better mpg than the mz5... so it is an option to me.

I saw it at the dealer last week, it looks nice, but too small. I guess the engine will eventually trickle down to the Mazda5 as mentioned above.

Back