Automatic transmission quit working after fs-ze swap

maldonacho

:
Mazda protege5
Hey guys. I'm new to this site and mazda in general. A few months ago I bought a cheap MP5 with a bad motor but still ran, that I couldn't pass on. I decided to do a fs-ze swap myself, and being a noob it was quite the undertaking. Now the motor is in and runs, but the tranny decided it doesn't want to work. So I removed the tranny a retraced my steps then put it all back together but still the same problem. The shifter moves but tranny doesn't want to catch gear. It was throwing a solenoid D code so changed it but still nothing. Since it still ran and drove when I bought it, I know the tranny worked fine before the swap. All my research has come up empty. Since I'm new to the game and have limited knowledge and was hoping someone out there knows of a solution. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

There is the problem. From what I recall the FS-ZE wont work without you having the JDM ECU swapped in.

I could be entirely wrong also :p

I think a lot of people awap fsde sensors to the fsze. Not sure why automatic wouldnt work though as it has its own harnesess ect.

Other people's swaps online have worked fine with stock usdm ecu. They just lack hp. But all the swaps I've seen are with a 5spd manual. Never seen it done to an automatic.

Using the usdm ecu requires usdm sensors and timing pattern. The reason people use usdm is to retain obd2, if I'm not mistaken...

I could see how using the usdm computer on a JDM automatic could be problematic though...

As long as you use the USDM sensors and peripherals on the ZE, the ECM doesn't know the difference. That's not your problem, the swap will work well.

My knowledge on these automatics isn't that extensive, but even if the transmission is completely unplugged, you should still have reverse and at least one forward gear.

Since you have none of the above, i think that your torque converter may not be fully engaged into the pump, so you have no line pressure. When you mated them, did you leave the torque converter on the transmission? This is the only correct way to do it. When you install the bolts, there should be a small gap between the TC and flexplate, and the TC should rotate freely.

A line pressure test can verify this. Usually when there are no gears at all, there is a problem with the pump or torque converter. The shifter linkage is something to check as well.

As long as you use the USDM sensors and peripherals on the ZE, the ECM doesn't know the difference. That's not your problem, the swap will work well.

My knowledge on these automatics isn't that extensive, but even if the transmission is completely unplugged, you should still have reverse and at least one forward gear.

Since you have none of the above, i think that your torque converter may not be fully engaged into the pump, so you have no line pressure. When you mated them, did you leave the torque converter on the transmission? This is the only correct way to do it. When you install the bolts, there should be a small gap between the TC and flexplate, and the TC should rotate freely.

A line pressure test can verify this. Usually when there are no gears at all, there is a problem with the pump or torque converter. The shifter linkage is something to check as well.

MrGiggles = FS-ZE expert

Somebody queue up TheMan, he will know. This sounds like a big USDM JDM OBDI OBDII ecu mismatch klusterfuck. I'm not venturing a guess.

It would be if it were engine related, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I agree with what Mr.Giggles has suggested.

*UPDATE* I sold my mp5(unamused) someone made an offer on the shell and i took it. Never got around to trouble shooting the problem before being sold. Now i have 2 fs-ze engines for sale in Charleston SC( LOCAL PICKUP ONLY) . Backstory: I orderd my first fs-ze but had water in the oil and rusted valves. So i got the jdm shop to send me another one and let me keep the old one. So thats how i ended up with 2. Thanks again for all your help, awsome forum. Really wasn't happy about letting the car go, will start search for next one soon.Hahaha

My sons P5 has the FS-ZE swap complete WITH auto transaxle and it works just fine on the stock OBD2 ECU. Have been thinking about having it done by JET Performance though to get the most out of it. After the swap we had trans issues as well but ended up being the shift position switch at the linkage.

I did a JDM swap on my automatic 2003 protege5 and had that same problem and it turned out to be the flexplate on the JDM engine is different than the US one

Back