Autoflex Spray Shield

So you agree with what I'm saying, just not how I'm saying it.

I can definitely be guilty of this according to my wife.

haha...that's a good one..thanks for the laugh.
but yes if you originally stated that you would not get autoflex being it's the same price as PPF in your area and there's more potential for not being applied correctly, then sure..all is good. I'll respect your opinion.
But you basically coming at me accusing me that there is NO way autoflex is cheaper than PPF without anything to back you up ie. calling installers who actually do this stuff and the price of PPF in NYC area, you better be dang right there will be some going and forth..haha

But it's all good now man.
I get it. You don't trust the product and rather go with PPF.
I tried PPF for over 15 years and want to try something different that's more economical and reasonable to me, is that so bad?
It may or may not be better than PPF, but that's my decision, and i'm just putting it out there that there ARE other options other than PPF.
Individual users may form their own opinions about the product, but I always encourage others to do their research before doing anything and finding a reputable installer is key.

I get it. You don't trust the product and rather go with PPF.
I tried PPF for over 15 years and want to try something different that's more economical and reasonable to me, is that so bad?

I'm not even arguing that the product isn't good or shouldn't be trusted.

I just can't understand how an experienced painting professional, with a full-fledged paint shop with paint booth, could charge so little for this service.
- The huge amount of prep work needed before even beginning the process.
- Applying 14 separate coats, over the course of 8+ hours, with lengthy drying in between.
- Full wetsanding and compounding of the surface afterwards.

I'm honestly surprised a painter would do all of that work for as little as $800.

My theory is that they won't be following the same process as shown in the video you posted (6 coats vs. 14 coats, no wetsanding/compounding, ect).
The process seems way too time and labor intensive for $800.

I just can't understand how an experienced painting professional, with a full-fledged paint shop with paint booth, could charge so little for this service.
- Applying 14 separate coats, over the course of 8+ hours, with lengthy drying in between.

I'm honestly surprised a painter would do all of that work for as little as $800.

My theory is that they won't be following the same process as shown in the video you posted (6 coats vs. 14 coats, no wetsanding/compounding, ect).

I get your point.
but the $800 is the low end for a small compact, but yes, i'm not arguing if the job is done correctly.

There's a couple variables. The first being the licensing fee for something like Xpel. You have to pay a monthly subscription to Xpel and then a per-piece fee as well. Plus a plotting machine can be a couple of thousand dollars to cut the film. And the film itself is expensive. A 100 foot roll is $1,100 just for the film alone.

While a paint booth has it's own costs associated with it, Autoflex is something that a paint shop could offer for little additional overhead as they already have a booth and all the associated paint equipment. To get into PPF requires a lot more investment.

The cost doesn't seem all that unreasonable. A place like Maaco will charge $300 to repaint a whole car (with a crappy paint job of course). The average paint labor rate from some googling is around $50 per hour, so an $800 job (which keep in mind only is only for the front end is something like 16 hours of work, which this wouldn't take.

just an update, it's been about 3mos since i got this installed on my rear bumper area,
I got to say, it's holding up well, just like any ppf, actually better than ppf because there are no cut lines. There seems to be no loss in gloss or clarity where it was sprayed. So far so good, I would recommend this system as an alternative to anyone who is thinking of getting PPF. As mentioned earlier, i have PPF on my full front and on all my previous cars, and this new system Autoflex is something i decided to try out.

With either of these products has anyone had it shorten the range for the blind spot radar units under the rear bumper?

With either of these products has anyone had it shorten the range for the blind spot radar units under the rear bumper?
I was concerned about this as well, have to say it’s been working well and haven’t had any issues.

No pictures of the rear bumper and rear fender? I'd like to see if I could spot the difference between the coated bumper and the uncoated fender.

No pictures of the rear bumper and rear fender? I'd like to see if I could spot the difference between the coated bumper and the uncoated fender.
coming up soon...and more than likely the only way you're going to spot any differences, if any, is if you see it in person and not by photos. but i will post them up.

attached are pics of the rear bumper area that's been sprayed with autoflex spray shield, don't think anyone can tell anything from this, and that's the point, it's basically invisible with no loss to gloss. just like 3M ppf but with no cuts or seams

Attachments

• REAR2.jpg
    REAR2.jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 128
  • REAR1.jpg
    REAR1.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 127
attached are pics of the rear bumper area that's been sprayed with autoflex spray shield, don't think anyone can tell anything from this, and that's the point, it's basically invisible with no loss to gloss. just like 3M ppf but with no cuts or seams

Thanks for the pics. It does look a little bit better than I expected, but I can definitely see the difference. The rear bumper has more of an "orange peel" effect compared to the rest of the car. It's not something everyone would notice, but I definitely would. You're right though, no seams is nice. Personally I would stick with PPF, but if it works for you at a price you're willing to pay, well, can't argue with that. :)

Thanks for the pics. It does look a little bit better than I expected, but I can definitely see the difference. The rear bumper has more of an "orange peel" effect compared to the rest of the car. It's not something everyone would notice, but I definitely would. You're right though, no seams is nice. Personally I would stick with PPF, but if it works for you at a price you're willing to pay, well, can't argue with that. :)

i think you'll get the same affect with PPF no? I have PPF on my full front. I think anytime you put anything over OEM paint, it's not going to be as shiny.

i think you'll get the same affect with PPF no? I have PPF on my full front. I think anytime you put anything over OEM paint, it's not going to be as shiny.

It probably depends a lot on the PPF. I know on my CX-9, the PPF appears to have the same "smoothness" as the paint on the rest of the hood and bumper. My car is pretty dirty right now so I can't really tell, but I'll be sure to double-check after I wash it to make sure.

Back