Auto Sensing Wiper Calibration?

:
2024 CX90 PHEV Premium Plus
What does everyone think of the auto sensing wipers? Do they seem to work ok for you as expected?

In my 2018 6, they worked great. I could dial in the sensitivity I wanted on the wiper stalk and they would swipe as expected.

On my 2021 CX-9 GT, they don't work as well. The wipers tend to go in to constant “low” mode too easily. On the least sensitive setting, they‘ll pause slightly between swipes but anything heavier than a mist will kick them into constant wiping. On the other sensitivity settings they will pretty much stay in low all the time. On the most sensitive setting, they will even kick into high with not that much water on the windshield.

The windshield in front of the sensors is clean and as far as I can tell there are no chips or bugs/ residue that might trick the sensor.

In my 2009 6, there was a way to reset the calibration I haven’t found anything like that for the newest Mazdas.

How are the wipers working for everyone else? Does anyone happen to know if there is a way to somehow re-calibrate the sensor?

Just an FYI… When I turn off the auto sensing in settings, the intermittent function works as designed. I can put it at the set intervals and it will work as expected. It’s just when it’s on auto, it seems to be overly eager to keep wiping the windshield.

Solution
Update and resolution: Even though the windshield looked clean, I went ahead and ran some clay bar over it. Maybe it was bug guts or some clear sap around the sensor area that I didn’t notice before, but that did the trick. The wipers are responding much better. The wipers will swipe at variable speeds as I would expect them to depending on how much water is on the windshield. 👍🏼
The rain-sensing wipers work just fine on my 2018. As far as I know, the dealership can recalibrate the wiper sensor, as I believe it's one of the things they would need to recalibrate if you ever needed to replace the windshield. Given that you're under warranty, I'd have the dealer perform the recalibration. Hopefully they can oblige.

Upvote 0
I’ve only had my 9 for three weeks and just have one experience driving in the rain so far. I recall thinking that the auto wipers worked FAR better than my old car. Mine seemed to wipe at the ‘appropriate’ interval... for me.

Upvote 0
Update and resolution: Even though the windshield looked clean, I went ahead and ran some clay bar over it. Maybe it was bug guts or some clear sap around the sensor area that I didn’t notice before, but that did the trick. The wipers are responding much better. The wipers will swipe at variable speeds as I would expect them to depending on how much water is on the windshield. 👍🏼

Upvote 0
Solution
The auto sensing wipers are actually a really great and simple invention. I have never had a single trouble with them on both my 2017 CX-9 and on my wife's 2018 CX-5. They work perfectly, and I really like them. I have driven a volkswagen for a while, and I can tell you that their auto sensing wipers are really terrible, especially when compared to the ones on mazda cars. The only issue that I ever had with them, was back when one sensor actually fell off. Thankfully, I have found a great article about these wipers on http://cararac.com and they explained in details how to instal it back.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest posts

Back