Mazda5 ATF Recommendations...Fluid, cooler, filter?

IMO, OEM fluid is not garbage persay. It just doesn't last as long as Mazda advertises.

That's a fair statement, but I believe working for an acceptable duration is implied by the service intervals that Mazda suggests. If Mazda had the courage to give it a 15,000 mile interval, then I agree that "garbage" is subjective opinion. I would still argue that it's garbage based on the interval being insanely short at 15K though.

It's just a shame that they don't make a synthetic M-V. It clearly would be the way to go.

Just got an email from Valvoline:

Thank you for contacting Valvoline for your automatic transmission fluid application.

For your 2012 Mazda5 application, we recommend the use of our Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc ATF product to meet the Mazda M-V specifications recommended by your manufacturer. This product is 100%compatible for mixture or replacement in your vehicle and will not void any new car warranties.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us via email or by phone at 800 TEAM VAL. Thank you once again for contacting Valvoline Product Support and have a great day.

Valvoline Product Support

Taking a stroll down grammar lane, cocky is conceited, rudely implying that I'm making a statement about myself when I talk about transmission fluid. Please feel free to be amused by my bluntness, but don't confuse it with being conceited. I won't hold it against you for insulting me.

The fluid is, in my opinion, garbage because it cannot meet the requirements put upon it for more than 15,000 miles without burning up. It fails the fundamental test of standing up to the duty it's designed to serve. I have seen it more than once and I stand by the opinion. You are certainly welcome to disagree on any grounds and use whichever you please. I will say that I prefer the shift quality that M-V provides, but I can't live with wondering how long the tranny will last on burned up fluid.

Look I'm not insulting you I am just describing how your general responses in the entire forum come accross to me. I didn't know you were the chief of the Grammar Police as well as an engineer but so be it. Anyway, I guess since I was used to my old Hondas requiring a drain and refill on their ATF every 15k miles and I did it like clockwork I never though that continuing the trend with my Mazdas would be a big deal. So for what is worth if I continue doing my regular drain and refills as I have every 15k then the M-V will suit me just right.

Thank you for contacting Valvoline for your automatic transmission fluid application.

For your 2012 Mazda5 application, we recommend the use of our Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc ATF product to meet the Mazda M-V specifications recommended by your manufacturer. This product is 100%compatible for mixture or replacement in your vehicle and will not void any new car warranties.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us via email or by phone at 800 TEAM VAL. Thank you once again for contacting Valvoline Product Support and have a great day.

I've been doing a drain/fill with MaxLife Dex/Merc ATF since 15k miles (for about 30k miles now) at every 5k oil change. Yes, that was probably excessive to start out with but my vehicle is now out of warranty I plan on doing 10k intervals along with fully synthetic oil.

Nice writeup - you should put this post in the DYI so that it is easier to find for everyone. Several questions - When you drained the atf using the hose from the ATF cooler - did you turn the engine on to drain it? It doesn't seem like you added fluid as you drained as others have done - did you just turn on the engine until it all drained out and shifted thru the gears? Is there a problem with running the transmission dry?

Filter and gasket:
Ford Focus transmission pan gasket and filter. Local AdvacneAuto only carries Duralast, which Im typically not a big fan of but this kit feels decent. Google and youll find many vendors (WIX, ATP,) offer a transmission filter kit for the Focus. If I were to do this again, I would go with Motorcraft fitler + FelPro gasket.
- The gasket has a quality feel to it thick, the holes as sized just right to hold the bolt stead, and fits perfectly.
- The Duralast filters exterior material composition definitely feels cheaper than the OEM filter. Its a very simple contraption so it doesnt matter and its having the clean media inside that matter, which I cannot tell. The Focus filter differs slightly from the OE Mazda filter in that the protruding tube extension for the oil coming out is ~.5 shorter again cosmetic b/c it all goes into the pan.

Sorry, not thinking and put this on an old black towel for background

Amsoil

Dirty Pan/Filter:
Heres the pic most are waiting for. I bought the car with ~55K miles and this was taken with ~58K. The PO was a suburban NJ woman driver. I am willing to bet this transmission is on the better end of use/abuse b/c of the suburban roads and mild manner driver. The pan is not covered in sludge or anything and the magnet does have metallic particle build up but this is expected. You can decide if think it is worth cleaning. Im glad I did. Take magnet off and wipe clean, then spray down the pan with brake cleaner and let dry.

Clean Pan:
The OE gasket maker material is quite pliable. Hindsight, the easiest way to get it off is to simply rub it off with a non-scouring sponge. The pan has a slight raised grove so it is not super important to get it all off. As long as the raised grove is smooth and clean for the gasket to ensure a flat mount, it is a.o.k with me. I do believe it is important to clean off all of the gasket material on the underside of the transmission case (flat surface). I used a straight edge razor to scrape off the big chunks then rubbed the rest off with a piece of cloth.

Underside of transmission case

The bolts seem quite rusted at first and I was reluctant to take them off fearing the head might get rounded and Id need to use a extraction tool. I sprayed a little bit of Kroil and let sit for ~10 mins and it cleaned up nicely. Bolts come off very easily. Once you remove all of the bolts, the pan will still be nicely secured by the gasket maker compound. Knocking at it with a (small/light) rubber mallet is not enough. I positioned a long 2x4 again the pan horizontally and whack at the 2x4 with a nice sized hammer. Hit around at all sides and it will fall off easily. Just be aware that it will FALL once loose. You can leave 4 bolts to loose hold it in place but I didnt do that fearing the bolts might get damaged.

I make a habit of marking bolts and where they came from so I can put them back into the same threading. This didnt apply anyway b/c I re-tap/die everything nice and smooth mount. I might be on the crappy end of things b/c there is a good amount of surface rust and debris build up. When tightening, this can be a way of planning out and marking the order to tighten. It gets confusing b/c there are so many bolts and so close together. Take you eye off for a second and you wont remember which is which I ended up using a white chalk to mark each bolt as I tighten, then retighten all in a star distributed pattern.

To do a complete flush, all you need to do is remove a clamp (albeit a little difficult to reach and requires a little maneuvering) and loosen one hose. Theres a technique to this, which is hard to explain with text. You do NOT pull, ever. I can try to discuss it with you if anyone is seriously interested. You then plug in a 3/8ID hose ($.25/ft, you need ~3ft). The fluid comes out of the cooler at a pretty good rate (~2 quarts in ~10 secs very rough guestimate based on memory and eyeing it). Just be sure to cycle through the gears (P, R, D) when draining to get all residual fluid out.
Cooler out (back to case)
The round thing is the cooler. Hose to the left is the ATF inlet (out of the case) and hose to the right is the outlet (back into the case).

Remove air box and you see the inlet line back to case.
[img=http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/194/img1838jm.jpg]

I took an old washer fluid jug and (under) marked it by filling it with water from an empty one quart motor oil container. Run the flush line directly into this container so you know roughly how much came out. Makes filling a lot easier to track.

This much came out from draining the pan.

I just took a ~800 mile round trip (hence I wanted to do the ATF before I go) and so far no leaks. Up-shifts are SO smoother (barely noticeable) and the down shifts are quick and you feel the quick change. Very happy with the results. Now I need to add the cooler and filter to further prolong the tranny.

Nice writeup - you should put this post in the DYI so that it is easier to find for everyone. Several questions - When you drained the atf using the hose from the ATF cooler - did you turn the engine on to drain it? It doesn't seem like you added fluid as you drained as others have done - did you just turn on the engine until it all drained out and shifted thru the gears? Is there a problem with running the transmission dry?
NO... don't run the transmission dry! I flushed out ~2 quart intervals b/c filling it via the dip stick is painfully slow. I think up to 3.5 quart interval is perfectly fine since that is the capacity of the transmission pan. I flushed it directly into the marked container so I had control of how much goes out and back in.

You do need to turn on the car to start the pump. Pump starts no matter if you are in Parked or other gear.

I really don't think many (or any) will take the effort to do this so I did not want this to be a DIY or added all details. For those capable, you don't need a DIY. It is a pretty straight forward job. I just wanted to share what it took and how things looked.

Last edited:
So I talked to my mechanic after the dealer told me it would be $365 to flush my tranny out and he said he'd do it for around $160. My car has 65,000 miles on it and he said it's good to do it once before the mileage gets higher. I asked him if he was going to change the filter and he said no. Is this normal?

So I talked to my mechanic after the dealer told me it would be $365 to flush my tranny out and he said he'd do it for around $160. My car has 65,000 miles on it and he said it's good to do it once before the mileage gets higher. I asked him if he was going to change the filter and he said no. Is this normal?

Wow that is crazy, my dealer charged $189 to do a compete flush (no filter replacement) and they have a machine that knows exactly how much goes in and out. They used 12 quarts to do it. I would find new dealer, as I am not sure if that mechanic that charges $165 will know what to do exactly as we are talking about a flush not drain refill. Does he have the correct machine?

Wow that is crazy, my dealer charged $189 to do a compete flush (no filter replacement) and they have a machine that knows exactly how much goes in and out. They used 12 quarts to do it. I would find new dealer, as I am not sure if that mechanic that charges $165 will know what to do exactly as we are talking about a flush not drain refill. Does he have the correct machine?
yeah he has a machine to do the flush. I've known the guy for like 8 years. He knows what he's doing.

Is it normal to not change the filter during a flush? Should I change the filter after the flush just so I know it's 100% done?

$160 is a good price assuming the shop 1) uses the correct ATF fluid and 2) does the correct procedure. Then again, if you are capable of changing your oil, you can easily flush it all yourself also... Requires removing one hose and some basic understanding. It is not difficult or time consuming.

It is normal they don’t change the filter b/c as you can see in my post above the transmission case was not designed with a replacement gasket in mind. It would be a liability for anyone to open it. Also, I’ve only seen one vendor that carries the OE replacement filter but Mazda still does not offer a replacement gasket. The question is how are you "suppose" to seal it? The shop would have to use a gasket maker to close it up and that is a risk that I don’t think they’d want to take. What you can do is ask the shop if they will change it if YOU provide them the gasket and filter (look at Ford Focus of the same year). Note that the shop will still need to spend time cleaning off the old gasket compound before they can apply the gasket.

An alternative is to add an in-line filter. See the pic above showing where the inlet and outlet hoses are? Remove the outlet hose (that goes to the cooler) and splice in your own filter and connecting hose. It serves the same purpose but better b/c it has a heavy magnet to catch metal particles. Another good reason to open up the pan is to not only change the filter but also clean out the magnet inside. Given your mileage, I'm betting it is already all covered up with metal particles and the only way to get if off is good old fashion elbow grease. All the drain-fill or flushing in the world is not going to clean that. Adding an in-line filter is a close equivalent (not the same due to location) to having a new filter and magnet so in theory you don't need to open the case unless you really want to clean it up.

EDIT: I don't remember if the stock drain plug is magnetized. If not, you can also look into a replacement magnetic drain plug to help capture these particles.

If I ever get to adding the in-line filter and cooler, I'll post it.

EDIT: Finally got around to it.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...oler-and-Filter-Install&p=6391084#post6391084

Last edited:
oh the good old gasket leak

$160 is a good price assuming the shop 1) uses the correct ATF fluid and 2) does the correct procedure. Then again, if you are capable of changing your oil, you can easily flush it all yourself also... Requires removing one hose and some basic understanding. It is not difficult or time consuming.

It is normal they don’t change the filter b/c as you can see in my post above the transmission case was not designed with a replacement gasket in mind. It would be a liability for anyone to open it. Also, I’ve only seen one vendor that carries the OE replacement filter but Mazda still does not offer a replacement gasket. The question is how are you "suppose" to seal it? The shop would have to use a gasket maker to close it up and that is a risk that I don’t think they’d want to take. What you can do is ask the shop if they will change it if YOU provide them the gasket and filter (look at Ford Focus of the same year). Note that the shop will still need to spend time cleaning off the old gasket compound before they can apply the gasket.

An alternative is to add an in-line filter. See the pic above showing where the inlet and outlet hoses are? Remove the outlet hose (that goes to the cooler) and splice in your own filter and connecting hose. It serves the same purpose but better b/c it has a heavy magnet to catch metal particles. Another good reason to open up the pan is to not only change the filter but also clean out the magnet inside. Given your mileage, I'm betting it is already all covered up with metal particles and the only way to get if off is good old fashion elbow grease. All the drain-fill or flushing in the world is not going to clean that. Adding an in-line filter is a close equivalent (not the same due to location) to having a new filter and magnet so in theory you don't need to open the case unless you really want to clean it up.

EDIT: I don't remember if the stock drain plug is magnetized. If not, you can also look into a replacement magnetic drain plug to help capture these particles.

If I ever get to adding the in-line filter and cooler, I'll post it.

I used to replace my filter and gasket on my old cars that i have sold now, i had leaks before after like 20k because the gasket was crap. Wont take that chance again unless mazda comes out with their own...
I figure if mazda did not want us to mess with it then i wont mess with it...

I used to replace my filter and gasket on my old cars that i have sold now, i had leaks before after like 20k because the gasket was crap. Wont take that chance again unless mazda comes out with their own...
I figure if Mazda did not want us to mess with it then i wont mess with it...
If you use a cheap/crappy aftermarket gasket, it will not last and may not even hold. Other common causes of leaks are not tightening to spec and/or in the right sequence, or poor prep on the surface area. I havent had any issues with leaks on gaskets/seals I had to service (knock on wood), aside from one bad experience due to poor quality part (see below).

What puzzles me is that both Mazda and Ford Motorcraft offer a replacement filter but they dont offer a gasket (not that Ive seen)..?.. Id like to know how someone is suppose to seal it. Is there an approved gasket maker/sealant with a Mazda or Ford label on it?? The fact they offer the filter would lead me to believe you can (debatable if you should) change it. On the flip side, there are quality aftermarket vendors (IMO, better than OEM) that do offer the gasket and filter kit for the Focus. Even the Duralast I used is not bad. I struggle to make sense out of this one How can the aftermarket offer a gasket but not OEM? Note: I did not research into the Focus or other cars that may share the same transmission/pan.

Personal experience, can you spot the difference between a quality gasket vs. junk? The junk gasket leaked on me after a few thousand miles and I had to replace it, again. Learned my lesson on saving a few bucks but to be fair I was mislead by the seller (I think it was alloemparts.com ?) who claim to sell OEM parts. I also bought a clutch slave and opened it up and the plunger and spring inside was absolute garbage.
GasketVSGasket.JPG

Regarding what the manufacturer advises vs. what you feel comfortable doing/have done, to each his own.

Last edited:
Got the Best deal on:

Valvoline Max Life ATF Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF(Automatic Transmission Fluid)Recommended for Dex/Merc;Mercon LV*@Autozone $13.50/ Gallon.. it may go fast, Bought the last 9 Gallons at San Pablo, Ca.!*Price was posted at shelf, Mgr didn't believe until was rung up. Maybe closeout stock because the other new stock states High Mileage 75,000 mile and no reference to full synthetic.

One gallon jug is listed @$13.50 (Usually 4 qt.@$6.99 retail=$26.96! or $16.97 @ walmart if you can find it)*

All the other Synthetic oils are $8-13/qt. Redline/Royal Purple. Castrol Import multi Vehicle is~ $5.35/qt @ Walmart....

(attn)BEST DEAL EVER FOR FULLY SYNTHETIC OIL! ONLY $3.375/QT....buy, buy....buy!

Hope this Helps!
Sorry can't figure out how to attach copy of my receipt.

Has anyone tried using Royal Purple ATF fluid? I haven't done much research on it yet. Just wondering what everyone's toughts are

I just tried the Valvoline Max Life. It performed real well but I couldn't take the smell coming into the car whenever I stopped. I did not spill any and it was not over filled. The smell seemed to be coming from the trans vent. Also, when I pulled the dipstick, a very powerful odor wafted out of the dipstick tube.

I replaced the VMF with M5 from Mazda and the problem was instantly gone.

I use the pull-the-hose-off-the-cooler flush method and get close to 8 quarts out (pump out, refill with 4 quarts, pump out and refill to proper level).

Doug

ATF Recommendations. What fluid, cooler, filter? Share your experience on th...

I did a full flush again tonight. The last time I did it was when the van had 110k on it and I replaced the original filter at that time. The original filter wasn't dirty at 110k so I didn't replace it this time. I had done Mobil 1 synthetic ATF 3.5qt drain and refills at 40k & 75k before doing the complete flush at 110k.

The van now has 156k miles and this time I went with Valvoline Max Life Synthetic for a full flush since it was on sale. The Mobil 1 coming out looked very good with just a little dark red color. I don't know how much of an indicator color is but the Mobil 1 with 45k on it certainly looked much better than the Mazda fluid with 40k on it.

I've only driven it a couple of miles but the van seems to shift as well as it always has. As noted be very careful to not spill any of the Valvoline or the Mobil 1. The sulphur in it really stinks. I went so far as to tape seal the funnel to the dipstick tube.

I will stay with AMSOIL atf. Very worth it in terms of endurance, performance, protection...............and smell.

I will stay with AMSOIL atf. Very worth it in terms of endurance, performance, protection...............and smell.

For the record, I also had a smell, like the other Doug above, when I drained and filled 3 quarts of Amsoil in my 2010 Mazda5. My experience mirrors his and it went away after I did two more drain and fills with factory M5 fluid.

My wife's 2006 Mazda3 had no smell after a 3 quart drain and fill, but I don't know what Mazda fluid is recommended for her car.

All I can say for sure is that if your Mazda5 calls for Mazda M5 fluid, I would recommend buying that from the dealer and use it.

Last edited:
Back