Guide: ATF Drain/Fill

:
'14.5 CX-5 Touring AWD, Soul Red | '14 CX-5 Touring AWD White
^ thanks.

So if I am on LL now, I can add 1/3 qt and check...

We'll see how it works.

:
13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose
^ thanks.

So if I am on LL now, I can add 1/3 qt and check...

We'll see how it works.

Checking the level should only be done while engine is running and with transmission oil is at least 122F. In IL, if you have a garage try running the engine idle for about 5 minutes. Revving a couple times. 122F is essentially a warmed up engine.

Makes me wonder at which temp does the blue coolant indicator light turns off. Perhaps that could be used as well.

:
I use Torque Pro to get the reading of coolant/ATF as both are the same. I'd say that when the blue light turns off, it is the lowest temp. to check ATF level.

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Checking the level should only be done while engine is running and with transmission oil is at least 122F. In IL, if you have a garage try running the engine idle for about 5 minutes. Revving a couple times. 122F is essentially a warmed up engine.

Makes me wonder at which temp does the blue coolant indicator light turns off. Perhaps that could be used as well.
I didn't aware you need the engine running while taking the ATF measurement as nobody had mentioned it. A while ago someone had posted the coolant temperature readout when the blue coolant indicator turns off. I can't remember the exact number but I believe it's higher than 122F. If you don't mind may be you can find out for us with your new OBDII tools. :)

:
I didn't aware you need the engine running while taking the ATF measurement as nobody had mentioned it. A while ago someone had posted the coolant temperature readout when the blue coolant indicator turns off. I can't remember the exact number but I believe it's higher than 122F. If you don't mind may be you can find out for us with your new OBDII tools. :)

Its a general rule. You generally check the transmission oil on a flat surface while the engine is running. For automatics at least. So after pouring the new transmission oil I drive the car through various gears and reverse. Then back to neutral to do another level check while still running.

The minimum 122F is because you want the engine at operating temps (hot) like 150-170F. Mazda wants to ensure to engine is at least warm hence 122F. I'm confident the blue coolant light could be used. Will have to test it with the OBD2 scanner to verify.

madar

Contributor
:
2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB
Its a general rule. You generally check the transmission oil on a flat surface while the engine is running. For automatics at least. So after pouring the new transmission oil I drive the car through various gears and reverse. Then back to neutral to do another level check while still running.

The minimum 122F is because you want the engine at operating temps (hot) like 150-170F. Mazda wants to ensure to engine is at least warm hence 122F. I'm confident the blue coolant light could be used. Will have to test it with the OBD2 scanner to verify.
According to my scangauge the blue light went off at 132.

:
I checked mine, it goes off at 55C, which is 131F.

:
2016 CX-5
for those interested, it is possible to get to transmission dipstick plug and bolt from underneath, just need to remove the plastic panel from underneath and feel for the bolt to remove the dipstick then refill from the top with a long flexible tube and funnel,

just offering another option for those who don't want to deal with removing the air intake..... this way it's a lot easier to get a temp reading without the hassle of removing and putting back the air intake / unplug/plug MAF sensor. I believe one member forgot to replug those in and got a dash code light, not a biggie but don't want to be dealing with codes and drive cycles .....

still early for me to do an ATF change but I'll post pics when I do it....

[URL="

Last edited:
:
for those interested, it is possible to get to transmission dipstick plug and bolt from underneath, just need to remove the plastic panel from underneath and feel for the bolt to remove the dipstick then refill from the top with a long flexible tube and funnel,

just offering another option for those who don't want to deal with removing the air intake..... this way it's a lot easier to get a temp reading without the hassle of removing and putting back the air intake / unplug/plug MAF sensor. I believe one member forgot to replug those in and got a dash code light, not a biggie but don't want to be dealing with codes and drive cycles .....

still early for me to do an ATF change but I'll post pics when I do it....

[URL="

This is a viable option when changing the tranny fluid but with a word of caution to use gloves and safety glasses/goggles. I found the tranny fluid to be very thin and it easily dripped/flung unpredictably.

The removal of the air box does present a positive though. I found my air box very dusty inside. I wiped the inside of the box and hose system down with a damp towel (but not the MAF). Do not touch the MAF. I meant to use a can of air on it but I forgot to.

This project (tranny fluid change) could be done in conjunction of an oil change project and throttle body cleaning project. Not to mention inspecting/changing the engine air box filter.

Last edited:

Latest posts